• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Footholes

It is December, so pretty random to note this now, but I really hate bowling into a foot hole, especially when one forms precisely where my front foot is landing. It pisses me off when groundsmen do not fully prepare the ground where the bowler lands, but when some massive ditch forms there through simply not watering the ground and it cracking and coming off, it just becomes impossible to bowl - so ****ing annoying.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Iain O'Brien's wife:

Move to New Zealand you selfish bitch.
Hehe, have to admit I was wondering if someone would actually say that out loud.

To be fair, if it was an English guy who'd married say a Kiwi tennis player and she quit just as she was starting to post seriously good results, I doubt people would hesitate to paint him as a chauvinist dinosaur.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite true, though to be fair, in Richard's world the sky probably doesn't look blue.
It would be interesting though, for one test match to see the perfect batsman, play a perfect delivery from a perfect bowler and for it to be fielded by a perfect fieldsman. Would we see the exact same ball for the whole test match?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be interesting though, for one test match to see the perfect batsman, play a perfect delivery from a perfect bowler and for it to be fielded by a perfect fieldsman. Would we see the exact same ball for the whole test match?
On the perfect pitch? With the perfect review system? It would probably still be a draw. Then Ponting will complain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perfection sounds boring.
It might well be (though it also might not), which is why no-one is suggesting it could or would be applied to all or close to all aspects of cricket. However, for perfection to be applied to catching, Umpiring and fitness would in my book lead very soon to a situation where we thought "how on Earth did we ever do without that?" Same as various other changes which have made the game better down the years.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quite. If we eliminated dropped catches we wouldn't appreciate the wonderful catches that were actually taken.
Don't agree with that at all. A terrific catch is a terrific catch regardless of whether relatively simple ones are never floored or are sometimes floored.

There would also always remain some fielders who could make it to certain pieces of outfield action to take a catch while others could not.

All completely irrelevant of course as there's absolutely no practical way that dropped catches can be eliminated nor close to, whereas there would be a way to virtually eliminate the bad decision.

In the current climate the same applies to injury as dropped catches.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tennyson wrote a poem which read, "Every moment dies a man, every moment one is born."

Babbage wrote back saying, "If this were true, the population of the Earth would be at a standstill. In truth the rate of birth is slightly in excess of death. I suggest the next version of your poem should read, "Every moment dies a man, every moment one-and-one-sixteenth is born." Strictly speaking the actual figure is so long I cannot get it into a line, but I believe the figure one-and-one-sixteenth will be sufficiently accurate for poetry."
Nice to see Richard still going strong on CW. Time for him to check his family tree? ;)