• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Smith

Banned
IPL jokers Inc. Brainless wonders. I am sure they themselves will cringe on watching the replays a few months down the line.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the "getting wickets when you need them" thing (in whatever context) is such utter nonsense. There is essentially never a bad time to take a wicket; any wicket, for the bowling side, is a good thing. As I say - with exceptionally rare exceptions.
Perhaps when you get a player out who is striking them well in a one dayer, and the next batsman comes in and smokes it. Could possibly be considered a bad time to get a wicket.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Club Umpires to a left arm over bowler

No, it didn't ****ing pitch outside leg, it was a yorker that hit him on middle - if you're gonna cheat, then have the decency to lie properly.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Club Umpires to a left arm over bowler

No, it didn't ****ing pitch outside leg, it was a yorker that hit him on middle - if you're gonna cheat, then have the decency to lie properly.
Missing off stump then, angle taking it away in that direction unless his leg is about an inch in front of the stumps. If his foot is on the line of the crease, then you'd have to be swinging it in to get the Lbw.

Anyway, here's an interesting one. Only on England, and even then only "oop North"

Teenage umpire bashed after not out decision | Stuff.co.nz

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Awful puns in headlines

And not just cricket. This one on Cricinfo is a particularly spectacular effort though - 'No Hughes is good news for Watson'

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Commentators saying "they've picked up a wicket at just the right time"

No you dip****. The "right time" is as soon as possible.
LOL...
I think what they mean is had the team not bagged a wicket then, the match would well be out of their hands...you know those times when a wicket just decides the fate of the match?
You know for example...Sachin's dismissal against Australia in the 5th ODI for 175. That is a situation where that phrase probably fits...ofcourse getting him out 30 earlier earlier would still be a right time..
I dont think there is a "wrong time" for a wicket though..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Missing off stump then, angle taking it away in that direction unless his leg is about an inch in front of the stumps. If his foot is on the line of the crease, then you'd have to be swinging it in to get the Lbw.

Anyway, here's an interesting one. Only on England, and even then only "oop North"

Teenage umpire bashed after not out decision | Stuff.co.nz
My first thought was that "I bet this was in Bradford" and sure enough it was an Quaid E Azam game. A bit harsh to judge up North then this took place in a 'Pakistani' league.

Top_Cat

Chicken Little-ism in cricket

The sky isn't falling, it just might look a bit different soon. Nothing more than fear of change, tbh.

Uppercut

Commentators excusing poor wicket-keeping by saying "those catches are always difficult"

Yeah, we know they're difficult, but he's a ****ing international wicket keeper. What the hell is he paid for?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Commentators excusing poor wicket-keeping by saying "those catches are always difficult"

Yeah, we know they're difficult, but he's a ****ing international wicket keeper. What the hell is he paid for?
Yeah but just because he is paid to do it, doesn't mean he should be invincible and able to catch literally everything

Uppercut

No, but it's wheeled out every time someone drops a nick when standing up to the stumps. Any nick.

Langeveldt

Soutie
People making the excuse "We lost a lot of players to the national side/injuries"

1. Doesn't this affect every team?

2. Shouldn't a team's quality be defined by their depth or replacements?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People making the excuse "We lost a lot of players to the national side/injuries"

1. Doesn't this affect every team?
Nope, not always and never under directly comparable circumstances. The effect will be different with every player injury.
2. Shouldn't a team's quality be defined by their depth or replacements?
Not really; only to a very minor extent. Overwhelmingly, I prefer to judge by the quality of the best players available and as such I always despise to see any cricketer injured. The game would be so much better if some way could be found to eliminate injury, same way it would be if one could be found to eliminate dropped catches, missed stumpings and Umpiring errors.

In fact it really rather annoys me to see people try to claim that suffering large numbers of injuries is not a valid excuse for poor performance.