• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
"Clever cricket"

Commentators can't help themselves to the worthless analysis that is "clever cricket" after a single hit after a boundary. It is worthless analysis and it is ludicrous how it is seemingly valued moreso than a batsman hitting the far more useful two boundaries in a row or even hitting a two after a boundary; heck, commentators go on about it like a team has just secured the World Cup. It pisses me off to no end.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jeez, does your mate have nothing better to do? Seems a strange and pointless text?

I only have 2 texts that I send. "You fancy a pint?" and "Im sorry. Love you". Covers 90% of all needs

BTW what was your answer to the question from your mate?
Haha, I usually merge those two texts into one, covers all my needs

ripper868

International Coach
Don't agree with the general sentiment of Rich's post there, but the bit about having kids around at presentation ceremonies, celebrations etc really annoys me. What has the child done to warrant being on centre-stage? The moment should be all about the players themselves and no-one else.
Aware this is old news however:

Haydos kid was off stage at the commencment of the press conference, it was meant to be haydos only...the kid came running to his dad, pulling on his shirt and saying "dad,dad,dad," over and over...what would any father do? of course he's gonna pick his kid up, did you want him to call his wife on to remove the child?

Precambrian

Banned
Aware this is old news however:

Haydos kid was off stage at the commencment of the press conference, it was meant to be haydos only...the kid came running to his dad, pulling on his shirt and saying "dad,dad,dad," over and over...what would any father do? of course he's gonna pick his kid up, did you want him to call his wife on to remove the child?
Tbh the kid was cute.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Code:
Kenya innings (target: 286 runs from 50 overs)  	R  	B  	4s  	6s  	SR  	
	KO Otieno 	b Chigumbura 	20 	38 	1 	1 	52.63 	
	S Waters 	b Chigumbura 	29 	60 	5 	0 	48.33 	
	A Obanda 	not out 	96 	93 	7 	5 	103.22 	
 	SO Tikolo 	b Chigumbura 	3 	5 	0 	0 	60.00 	
 	MA Ouma 	c wicketkeeperMutizwa b Cremer 	11 	30 	0 	0 	36.66 	
	CO Obuya 	b Cremer 	14 	14 	2 	0 	100.00 	
	[B]RR Patel 	b Utseya 	10 	26 	1 	0 	38.46 [/B]	
	RL Bhudia 	b Cremer 	8 	8 	1 	0 	100.00 	
	N Odhiambo 	c Chigumbura b Price 	8 	10 	0 	1 	80.00 	
	HA Varaiya 	run out (Price) 	9 	6 	0 	0 	150.00 	
	PJ Ongondo 	c Matsikenyeri b Chigumbura 	1 	4 	0 	0 	25.00 	
	    Extras 	(b 4, lb 1, w 5) 	10 					

Total 	(all out; 49 overs) 	219
The innings in bold

Cricinfo commentary

Precambrian

Banned
yes. thankyou for contributing nothing to the conversation yet again.
:laugh: The irony of it!

What grinds my cricketing gears...

Stupid cricket coverage by channels in the subcontinent. Bloody hell, they don't even wait to show the replays of a dismissal, and by the time the commercials cease, the next ball has already been delivered. Add to that terrible commentary....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like doing it, because I like doing it. Honestly, all the attention over such a minor thing is ridiculous. I don't feel I need to justify myself about this, so you will just have to get over it.
It's not a case of getting over anything, I will simply question something that seems odd to me if it seems odd. You don't have to answer, obviously, but it seemed and remains seeming odd to me. Obviously, though, there's no forum rule against putting posting-IDs in -s- after every post, so if you wish to waste effort doing it, that's your choice. Each to his own.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As if. He's filled a niche role in the Australian team for 100-plus Tests, same as Waugh, McGrath and Warne. Speaks for itself. Sophistry on an internet forum over whether he could play a mint-slathered ball on a green deck against Ambrose, Wasim, Donald and Walsh on debut during a pivotal Test without offering a chance - because Jack ****ing Hobbs could, right? - doesn't matter when viewing a player's achievements and contribution with rose-coloured glasses. Doesn't demean any of the scores of times he's gotten Australia off to a flyer or been the pillar of the order. Just because there was depth in the domestic system that offered comparable alternatives to Hayden when it didn't with Warne and McGrath doesn't mitigate anything that Hayden did in Tests, which was an awful lot.

On that note, I do think on this forum there's been an awful lot of mouth-running over what Hayden hasn't done, as opposed to what he has. For once, I'm kinda relieved Channel Nine don't feel the same way.
No-one's said Hayden hasn't played a key part in Australia's successes between 2001/02 and 2004 and 2005/06 and 2007/08. That doesn't amount to 100 Tests, or close to, but he did do it. He's far inferior to Stephen Waugh, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath and others, but he did indeed "fill a niche role".

That's irrelevent to his calibre as a player, but it deserves to be recognised nonetheless. No-one has ever failed to.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Belittling "Medium-pacers" as cannon-fodder, piethrowers etc

So what if someone bowls at 125-130kph as a fast bowler?. Some people on here are IMO pretty dismissive as though top class batsman should be able to just belt them out of the attack. I don't care if they bowl slow but so long as they can swing the ball and make it cut one way there just as effective

Really grinds my gears.