• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate it was at a Twenty20 match in front of his home crowd.

He had every right for the send off he received.
Yeah i'm not objecting, i was just querying the complaint of over-indulgence against McGrath, Waugh, Warne.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Waugh, McGrath and Warne have more of a right though. Far more.
As if. He's filled a niche role in the Australian team for 100-plus Tests, same as Waugh, McGrath and Warne. Speaks for itself. Sophistry on an internet forum over whether he could play a mint-slathered ball on a green deck against Ambrose, Wasim, Donald and Walsh on debut during a pivotal Test without offering a chance - because Jack ****ing Hobbs could, right? - doesn't matter when viewing a player's achievements and contribution with rose-coloured glasses. Doesn't demean any of the scores of times he's gotten Australia off to a flyer or been the pillar of the order. Just because there was depth in the domestic system that offered comparable alternatives to Hayden when it didn't with Warne and McGrath doesn't mitigate anything that Hayden did in Tests, which was an awful lot.

On that note, I do think on this forum there's been an awful lot of mouth-running over what Hayden hasn't done, as opposed to what he has. For once, I'm kinda relieved Channel Nine don't feel the same way.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As if. He's filled a niche role in the Australian team for 100-plus Tests, same as Waugh, McGrath and Warne. Speaks for itself. Sophistry on an internet forum over whether he could play a mint-slathered ball on a green deck against Ambrose, Wasim, Donald and Walsh on debut during a pivotal Test without offering a chance - because Jack ****ing Hobbs could, right? - doesn't matter when viewing a player's achievements and contribution with rose-coloured glasses. Doesn't demean any of the scores of times he's gotten Australia off to a flyer or been the pillar of the order. Just because there was depth in the domestic system that offered comparable alternatives to Hayden when it didn't with Warne and McGrath doesn't mitigate anything that Hayden did in Tests, which was an awful lot.

On that note, I do think on this forum there's been an awful lot of mouth-running over what Hayden hasn't done, as opposed to what he has. For once, I'm kinda relieved Channel Nine don't feel the same way.
Sums it up brilliantly. Fantastic post.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Don't agree with the general sentiment of Rich's post there, but the bit about having kids around at presentation ceremonies, celebrations etc really annoys me. What has the child done to warrant being on centre-stage? The moment should be all about the players themselves and no-one else.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Jeez, saying Hayden wasn't as good as Warne, McGrath or Waugh is hardly ****ing rabid abuse. I think he was the best opener in the world for a considerable length of time. That's one crazy reaction.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

Absolutely agree.

Precambrian

Banned
Channel 9's terrible bias.

Jaques Kallis creamed a cover drive for four. The commentator made a one liner on it. Immediately cut to "KFC classic catches", not even a single replay of that stroke.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got this txt from a mate last night:

"As a cricket fan, does it annoy you when a footy team wins five nil and the commentator describes it as a cricket score, as though five for nought was boss?"

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Got this txt from a mate last night:

"As a cricket fan, does it annoy you when a footy team wins five nil and the commentator describes it as a cricket score, as though five for nought was boss?"
Jeez, does your mate have nothing better to do? Seems a strange and pointless text?

I only have 2 texts that I send. "You fancy a pint?" and "Im sorry. Love you". Covers 90% of all needs

BTW what was your answer to the question from your mate?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't agree with the general sentiment of Rich's post there, but the bit about having kids around at presentation ceremonies, celebrations etc really annoys me. What has the child done to warrant being on centre-stage? The moment should be all about the players themselves and no-one else.
They are props

Precambrian

Banned
Jeez, does your mate have nothing better to do? Seems a strange and pointless text?

I only have 2 texts that I send. "You fancy a pint?" and "Im sorry. Love you". Covers 90% of all needs

Take care you don't mix em up. I did badly today. Details in What made/ruined your day. :dry:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I was asleep at the time so never said anything (and have no credit on my phone)...nonetheless I get a lot of pointless texts, that's what happens when phone contracts give unlimited texts out...

I wouldn't say it grinds my gears, but he possibly has a point