• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was actually going to bump this thread yesterday but forgot...

Commentators saying "the new ball is due"

No it isn't you pratts, it's available. Big difference.
Fair point.

That will probably annoy me every time I hear it in the future.

Precambrian

Banned
There are a hundred thousand Indian cricket sites, but I have to resort to old CricketArchive to get updated scorecards of the ongoing Ranji Trophy. No live coverage for even the top matches. Even the glamour sites like cricketnext don't even have a section for domestic, yet they have a section to "Wish birth-day boy Yuvraj". ****ing **** **** ****s. :mad:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
There are a hundred thousand Indian cricket sites, but I have to resort to old CricketArchive to get updated scorecards of the ongoing Ranji Trophy. No live coverage for even the top matches. Even the glamour sites like cricketnext don't even have a section for domestic, yet they have a section to "Wish birth-day boy Yuvraj". ****ing **** **** ****s. :mad:

Agreed CricketArchive rules:laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People using the words "average", "mediocre" and "ordinary" to mean "bad."

..."This New Zealand batting lineup has been made to look very ordinary today..."

No it hasn't. It's been made to look like the Craggy Island Over-75s. It's been made to look dire, ****, crap, useless, inept, bollocks. Runako M****n isn't a "mediocre test batsman". He's one of the worst batsmen ever to play test cricket. If someone's bad, just say they're bad. It's an insult to real mediocre players like Ross Taylor to lump them in with the useless ones.

Precambrian

Banned

..."This New Zealand batting lineup has been made to look very ordinary today..."

No it hasn't. It's been made to look like the Craggy Island Over-75s. It's been made to look dire, ****, crap, useless, inept, bollocks. Runako M****n isn't a "mediocre test batsman". He's one of the worst batsmen ever to play test cricket. If someone's bad, just say they're bad. It's an insult to real mediocre players like Ross Taylor to lump them in with the useless ones.
And I get brickbats whenever I say Athers was a mediocre batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I get this, though I like so many others have been guilty of it copious amounts. It's much better to just leave it at "good" (eg, VVS Laxman or David Boon), then "decent" (eg, Michael Atherton, Damien Martyn or Nathan Astle), then simply "poor" (eg, Morton or Mubarak).

BTW, Morton's certainly not one of the worst batsmen to play Test cricket, but he is one of the worst to play more than 3 or 4 games. :p

The reason, of course, that so many people are reluctant to call players outright "poor" is because they're human beings with feelings. And most commentators and broadsheet writers - whose words the players inevitably come accross plenty often - have some sense of sympathy and understanding. Of course, that doesn't apply on here as we presume precious few cricketers who we're commenting on will ever read these pages (though we may conceivably presume wrongly) but the thing is, the terminology seeps downwards. If you're used to and have heard all your cricket-watching\reading life "mediocre\moderate\ordinary\average" being used to mean "poor", then you're going to do it yourself as well. And so the circle turns.

Uppercut

The reason, of course, that so many people are reluctant to call players outright "poor" is because they're human beings with feelings. And most commentators and broadsheet writers - whose words the players inevitably come accross plenty often - have some sense of sympathy and understanding. Of course, that doesn't apply on here as we presume precious few cricketers who we're commenting on will ever read these pages (though we may conceivably presume wrongly) but the thing is, the terminology seeps downwards. If you're used to and have heard all your cricket-watching\reading life "mediocre\moderate\ordinary\average" being used to mean "poor", then you're going to do it yourself as well. And so the circle turns.
Yeah, fair point. In truth it's quite comical that we use words like "crap" to describe players who are representing their country internationally. But "mediocre" and "average" are just plain inaccurate when describing test batsmen or bowlers, and their repeated usage makes them just as offensive as "poor". "Below average" isn't rude or offensive, nor is simply saying "i don't believe he has the talent to be a test cricket" or the like.

Funny, on the idea that cricketers might be watching us, have you ever noticed that there are usually twice as many non-members reading the place than there are members? As of now, "Currently Active Users: 67 (19 members and 48 guests)." Also, discussions on this forum are often the results of google searches. Who knows who is watching? :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A particular pitch was 'better' than another one. No it wasn't you douchebag, it was better for the batsmen. It doesn't mean it was better for bowlers (you know, that almost-extinct creature), or for cricket, or millions of other people who don't particularly give a **** about prissy little batsmen wanting to average 60 every series.

Langeveldt

Soutie

haha "New Zealand have been found wanting"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A particular pitch was 'better' than another one. No it wasn't you douchebag, it was better for the batsmen. It doesn't mean it was better for bowlers (you know, that almost-extinct creature), or for cricket, or millions of other people who don't particularly give a **** about prissy little batsmen wanting to average 60 every series.
I think this has been done at least once before this thread.

I'd not mind if people said "good for batting", it's just annoying the way "good" is used to mean "good for batting".

Uppercut

Language that implies a flat pitch is a good one

"Ah what a belter of a wicket! Fantastic pitch! Guaranteed to completely waste five days of your life!"
I think this has been done at least once before this thread.

I'd not mind if people said "good for batting", it's just annoying the way "good" is used to mean "good for batting".
Yeah, totally agree with SS. Have had a rant about it before.