• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Craig

World Traveller
I would much rather an American billlionaire who loathed the game on an understanding of how it works and let things be than an an American billionaire pouring load of cash into perpetuating his bizzarre interpretation of good cricket
I missed this earlier, how is somebody putting a lot of his cash into cricket a bad thing? Or are you one of these 'money is evil' types? It is not as though he has gone out and created an ICL type tournament and signed up all the best players. I don't see what harm he is doing?

You must lead a boring life.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I missed this earlier, how is somebody putting a lot of his cash into cricket a bad thing? Or are you one of these 'money is evil' types? It is not as though he has gone out and created an ICL type tournament and signed up all the best players. I don't see what harm he is doing?

Haha you what? How can you interpret someone being against a complete ignoramus's entrance into the world of top flight cricket as to them leading a boring life?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Its not the money its the principle behind the investent:dry:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batsmen in the nets who don't try and throw the ball back on the full
I'm making the effort to bowl to you, you selfish ****s, how about you show me a little bit of respect by at least making more than a half-arsed effort to get the ball back to me in a manner that doesn't force me to dive full-length across concrete just to pick up the cherry.
What is interesting is certain cultural difference in the nets.

I remember the first time a guy of a different cricketing culture (who was batting) kicked the ball back to me (the fast bowler) rather than bending down and throwing the ball back.

I nearly ripped the little **** in half. I went out to try and kill the little bastard after that.

You can say whatever you want to me, but kick the ball back in the net is the surest way of making me lose all respect for you as a cricketer and a person.
I remember it was really drummed into me when I had coaching from Billy Ibadulla (who has been in Dunedin for the last 20-30 years) - he used to tear strips off any batsman who just hit the ball back or kicked it, rather than made a conscious effort. Fair enough too - batsmen can't have a decent net session without bowlers.. (and no, bowling machines don't count)
Who cares IMO? Might be different for me as a bowler, since I go to the nets to bowl anyway, but I don't see how it matters how the batsman gives the ball back to you. If they're rubbish returns, fair enough, but as long as he's kicking/hitting/throwing them close enough to you, why make a big deal out of it? Plus, it's not always easy to throw well with your batting gloves on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, must say it's not a particularly massive issue to me. Mind, the only time I've ever netted with people who I don't know well from my own club has been CW nets, of which film exists.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Who cares IMO? Might be different for me as a bowler, since I go to the nets to bowl anyway, but I don't see how it matters how the batsman gives the ball back to you. If they're rubbish returns, fair enough, but as long as he's kicking/hitting/throwing them close enough to you, why make a big deal out of it? Plus, it's not always easy to throw well with your batting gloves on.
So you think it is ok that a bowler sprints 20 yards and wangs the ball down, in the process expending x amount of calories, effort and pain only to watch a batsman walk to the ball and hit or kick it purely because they are too lazy to bend and throw the ball back? Someone who then expects the bowler to retrieve the ball and bend themselves.

Not only is it disrespectful but it can cause injuries in quick bowlers. Enough effort goes into bowling that bending, twisting or extra movement is not needed. When I coach and/or play, bowlers do not bend. If batsmen want bowlers to bowl at them properly then they can treat them as humans rather than hired labour and give the ball back to them in a decent fashion.

Nothing marks anyone out more as a selfish **** and someone that has never played decent cricket as kicking or hitting the ball back.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's true that Dad always used to tell me to throw the ball back rather than hit it back with the bat, back in nets maybe 10-15 years ago. I never quite saw the fuss - maybe 15 years down the line I do. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So you think it is ok that a bowler sprints 20 yards and wangs the ball down, in the process expending x amount of calories, effort and pain only to watch a batsman walk to the ball and hit or kick it purely because they are too lazy to bend and throw the ball back? Someone who then expects the bowler to retrieve the ball and bend themselves.

Not only is it disrespectful but it can cause injuries in quick bowlers. Enough effort goes into bowling that bending, twisting or extra movement is not needed. When I coach and/or play, bowlers do not bend. If batsmen want bowlers to bowl at them properly then they can treat them as humans rather than hired labour and give the ball back to them in a decent fashion.

Nothing marks anyone out more as a selfish **** and someone that has never played decent cricket as kicking or hitting the ball back.
Hmmm, fair enough I suppose. Just something I've never really thought about, whether receiving or giving back the ball.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, that does annoy me too. It is a strange sensation, but bowling is often easier than bending down and retrieving a ball from the side netting.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I have no problem with someone attempting to throw the ball back and making a hash of it, but it's all about showing some respect towards the guys who are providing you with the batting practice. If they're being ****s and bowling solely bouncers and full tosses, or ****ing around and bowling rubbish then fair enough, but as Goughy says, there's plenty of energy expended in bowling a ball - why wear down your own team mates by forcing them to bend over all the time?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I have no problem with someone attempting to throw the ball back and making a hash of it, but it's all about showing some respect towards the guys who are providing you with the batting practice. If they're being ****s and bowling solely bouncers and full tosses, or ****ing around and bowling rubbish then fair enough, but as Goughy says, there's plenty of energy expended in bowling a ball - why wear down your own team mates by forcing them to bend over all the time?
Can also provide great entertainment too as generally throws with cricket gloves on result in making the batsman look really weak.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
***** who turn up for net sessions, have a quick bowl but leave immediately after they bat

'Tis fine once or twice and tis fine if they're injured and unable to bowl, but when the same self-absorbed ****s do it week after week, it grates. We've bowled to you, now you bowl to us. It's not like you're too good for us either, wankstain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was actually going to bump this thread yesterday but forgot...

Commentators saying "the new ball is due"

No it isn't you pratts, it's available. Big difference.

Precambrian

Banned
Was actually going to bump this thread yesterday but forgot...

Commentators saying "the new ball is due"

No it isn't you pratts, it's available. Big difference.
Well spotted sir. Didn't think about that till you mentioned it. Almost sort of obligation when it's said "due".