• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IPL cricket teams continually being referred to as "franchises"

Can't believe how tactless they are. Imagine asking someone "so, which franchise do you support?"

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They are franchises though, aren't they? Similar to NBA 'franchises'? Or is it just an American-ism that has crept into cricket?

pasag

RTDAS
IPL cricket teams continually being referred to as "franchises"

Can't believe how tactless they are. Imagine asking someone "so, which franchise do you support?"
7/11 ftw.

Seriously though, isn't that how similar structured US teams like in the NFL are referred to?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sir Allen Stanford :sick: :nono: :ban:
I'm in 2 minds about Sir "Grubby" Allen. On the one hand he's turning cricket into a McGame and deserves loathing and contempt. But on the other hand he is an American who's learned to appreciate at least one form of cricket, and we should be slaughtering the fatted calf for that.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm in 2 minds about Sir "Grubby" Allen. On the one hand he's turning cricket into a McGame and deserves loathing and contempt. But on the other hand he is an American who's learned to appreciate at least one form of cricket, and we should be slaughtering the fatted calf for that.

I would much rather an American billlionaire who loathed the game on an understanding of how it works and let things be than an an American billionaire pouring load of cash into perpetuating his bizzarre interpretation of good cricket

fredfertang

The likes of Spen Cama and Paul Getty are infinitely preferable to Stanford and their legacies will support the game long after his hedge fund or whatever he does has gone **** up

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The likes of Spen Cama and Paul Getty are infinitely preferable to Stanford and their legacies will support the game long after his hedge fund or whatever he does has gone **** up
Not in the same league philanthropy wise, but Mike Marqese's book Anyone But England is a good read, whilst we're bigging up Yanks who appreciate the sport.

fredfertang

I think it's me who should apologise - your post is clear enough on re-reading - I've always had trouble with 25 hour days

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never knew ol' Spen was a Yank ITBT. Though the only thing I've read about him is how Sussex were a substantial beneficiary of his will.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Batsmen in the nets who don't try and throw the ball back on the full
I'm making the effort to bowl to you, you selfish ****s, how about you show me a little bit of respect by at least making more than a half-arsed effort to get the ball back to me in a manner that doesn't force me to dive full-length across concrete just to pick up the cherry.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Batsmen in the nets who don't try and throw the ball back on the full
I'm making the effort to bowl to you, you selfish ****s, how about you show me a little bit of respect by at least making more than a half-arsed effort to get the ball back to me in a manner that doesn't force me to dive full-length across concrete just to pick up the cherry.
What is interesting is certain cultural difference in the nets.

I remember the first time a guy of a different cricketing culture (who was batting) kicked the ball back to me (the fast bowler) rather than bending down and throwing the ball back.

I nearly ripped the little **** in half. I went out to try and kill the little bastard after that.

You can say whatever you want to me, but kick the ball back in the net is the surest way of making me lose all respect for you as a cricketer and a person.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sounds as if you're on the side of a cliff with the last cricket ball in New Zealand. Surely leaving it and having a stare would get the message through?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
What is interesting is certain cultural difference in the nets.

I remember the first time a guy of a different cricketing culture (who was batting) kicked the ball back to me (the fast bowler) rather than bending down and throwing the ball back.

I nearly ripped the little **** in half. I went out to try and kill the little bastard after that.

You can say whatever you want to me, but kick the ball back in the net is the surest way of making me lose all respect for you as a cricketer and a person.
I remember it was really drummed into me when I had coaching from Billy Ibadulla (who has been in Dunedin for the last 20-30 years) - he used to tear strips off any batsman who just hit the ball back or kicked it, rather than made a conscious effort. Fair enough too - batsmen can't have a decent net session without bowlers.. (and no, bowling machines don't count)

jondavluc

State Regular
People who ask who's winning in the cricket:

Worst question. Look I can accept you don't like cricket (:@ ), it isn't your thing and you try and show some interest in asking how it is going, by being polite, even though you don't give a **** about it, but this has to be one of the most impossible questions to answer. Cricket is not like football, because unless it is the final innings of a Test match, or ODI, I can then give a answer as to say yes a team is 'winning', but even then, unless a team is chasing 265 in the final innings, and said team is 9/178 with 10 and 11 at the crease, or looks impossible for one team to win. If I say one team is on top, they will NFI what I am talking about (despite being asked this one the first or second day of a Test) and walk away none the wiser, so I have to bull**** an answer (my speciality TBF :p). Cricket is not a sport where it can be said a team is 'winning' or not as there are a lot of factors involved.
My dads worse not only does he ask that question but he also ask this one to me "Is Australia getting flogged" Why would someone ask if there favourite teams is getting there arse kicked (growl) (growl).

Things I hate include

New Zealand commentators for there inbias comments
"Wow what a great stroke by Mark Gillespie" He put his bat in front of the ball and he nicked it for four how is that a great stroke??!!!!
BCCI
ICC
Kallis (his overated)
Harbhajan Singh
Mark Taylor (that guy is a dumbass)
Tony Greig