• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can the VB Series be England's saviour?

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2
Australia defeated Pakistan in Sharjah, the conditions were NOT similar to the Aussies
Sharjah has very good conditions for batsmen and a flat wicket. Why do you think so much ODI cricket is played there?
What has that to do with the argument??? The point is that those pitches suits teams like Pakistan more than Australia just like Indian pitches suits Indian team more than Aussie team!

Originally posted by Rik
I'm sorry but if no one has won there for ages and even the 2nd best team in the world loose then I don't think you can claim we are a disgrace. Also England have showed some fight, just look at Key, Harmison, Vaughan...and strangely even Dawson. They have all shown some fight. If you've got nothing better to say than England are rubbish without any real basis for an arguement other than some sort of general problem with the England Cricket Team as a whole then just leave it.
Sorry, but i'm not alone in critisizing England, questions are being asked as to whether Englishmen actually know how to play cricket atall?? If you can't take it then just stop using the net and take a break from cricket!
NO team in recent past have won matches in Aus but team like NZ have drawn series (which you choose to ignore).To say that English team came up with a fight is hilarious, England had atmost 1 good day/test , as if they were playing onedayers.Losing a match in 3 days is a disgrace for me, though for some it can be acceptable!
:rolleyes:

Choora

State Regular
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2
Originally posted by Rik
[
Cool, England are 4th, but I suppose we are still crap TendulkarMark2?
If you continue to lose like you have been doing, then you will soon go down the ladder! [/quote]

Infact if they lose 2 Australia again in the last 2 test matches then they might come down 2 5th slot !

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well after a poor start against NSW, England have recovered from 16/2 to 73/2 thanks to Irani & Hussain.
I just don't get why Botham wants the selectors to drop Hussain, he's one of their only players with a bit of ticker.

Irani seems to be playing himself into the #3 spot for the VB Series 39 off 53 against a good bowling attack isn't too bad for Irani.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NSW: 100/1 after 21 overs...well they're coasting it at the moment.

Slater is going bezerk & Bevan is starting to find the boundaries. And I see the Cricinfo updater is starting to put pressure on the poms aswell lol.

21.4 Irani to Slater, no run, taken on the pad going a mile down leg,
stupid prolonged appeal is ignored

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If you continue to lose like you have been doing, then you will soon go down the ladder!
Again I point out that this is one bad series, and anyone would lose to that team. Aside from that out record in recent times is not too bad!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The point is that those pitches suits teams like Pakistan more than Australia just like Indian pitches suits Indian team more than Aussie team!
How so? Man for man the Aussie attack is better for those conditions, and the batsmen are certainly better suited.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
NO team in recent past have won matches in Aus but team like NZ have drawn series (which you choose to ignore).
That they drew the series had a lot to do with the weather - had the matches been concluded Australia would have won at least 2 and possibly all 3!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Any more jingoism and this is getting closed.

The VB series has nothing at all to do with India v Central Districts and by the same token there is no need to make relentless and baseless derogatory remarks. Glass houses and stones, anyone?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by Tim
21.4 Irani to Slater, no run, taken on the pad going a mile down leg, stupid prolonged appeal is ignored
I saw the last over's commentary. The first shot hit for six, they said Waugh 'monstered it' with a sweep slog. I thought that was cool. Hey wouldn't that be a great job to do - any job where you get paid to watch cricket is pretty good!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact about the weather affecting the series in Australia with NZ was overrated.

In Brisbane it could have gone either way, in Hobart..granted Australia were on top in that test & if umpiring decisions had gone NZ's way in the 3rd test we would have won.

Out of the 15 days of test cricket 2 & 1/2 were affected by rain so really...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry Tim, but I'll have to disagree.

1st Test, NZ only just avoided the follow on, and it was a bizarre declaration that made the game so close.

2nd Test, rain definitely cost Australia the win in.

3rd Test, I didn't see any of the play, so can't comment on the umpiring, but the scores suggest it was a close game.

At best that shows Aus deserved 2 of the Tests to 1 for NZ - so 0-0 was a good result looking at it like that!

Originally posted by marc71178
The point is that those pitches suits teams like Pakistan more than Australia just like Indian pitches suits Indian team more than Aussie team!
How so? Man for man the Aussie attack is better for those conditions, and the batsmen are certainly better suited.
I'm wasn't comparing the two team, just the conditions that were favouring a certain team.Its a fact that pitches on Sharjah Suits Pakistani batters more than the pitches in AUS.Australia had a vastly superior batting lineup to Pak , it wasn't the conditions that suited Australian batters more.
And as for bowling, its a fact that pitches in Asia suits Pakistan as they get more reverse swing on such pitches.Again, Aus might have a superior bowling attack but that attack had a disadvantage of bowling on pitches that doesn't give them much support.

Originally posted by marc71178
NO team in recent past have won matches in Aus but team like NZ have drawn series (which you choose to ignore).
That they drew the series had a lot to do with the weather - had the matches been concluded Australia would have won at least 2 and possibly all 3!
get your facts right, NZ were denied of a victory in the third test by umpiring blunders, NZ were certainly winning the match.To say that Aus would have won the series 3-0 is insult to imagination!

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Comming back to the original topic, i.e the VB series, i think England have very little chance of doing well in it.They got thrashed at the hands of NSW , then how the hell are they going to put up a decent performance against Australia?? On top another English cricketer is injured, i think this series will be a disaster for the English team!

BTW, if SL fails to make it to the finals, then it will confirm my view that they simply can't win matches against Muralitharan!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have liked to have seen Hussain declare in Brisbane so far behind in order to call Steve Waugh's bluff!

Considering the situation NZ was in, it was the logical thing to do & Fleming received high praise from the Channel 9 team because of it.

Despite the fact that NZ were 150 runs still behind after they declared, Fleming still was game enough to challenge Steve Waugh into a game of risk despite knowing that if it back-fired NZ would have been severely thrashed.