• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's pace attack for First Test

Who should be in England's pace attack for First Test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
After a winter of awful seam bowling, and with some bowlers making a comeback who should be in the England pace attack for the First Test?

tooextracool

International Coach
Jones isnt going to be ready for the first test, no matter how well he bowled in his first outing in over a year.
Hoggard, Harmison and Flintoff for me.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At this point I'm optimistically assuming there are no more injuries. I think it would be pretty pointless to not select Simon Jones when there's like 3-4 weeks til the first Test.

So it would be Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones.

simmy

International Regular
Should be Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard, Anderson/Broad.

Harmison is an embarassment who does not deserve to walk back in.

Scaly piscine

Should be Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard, Anderson/Broad.

Harmison is an embarassment who does not deserve to walk back in.
Harmison who contributes as much as Hoggard, but gets a ridiculous amount of stick. Suggesting Anderson in particular to play ahead of him is somewhat moronic.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Look at their Test records, despite Harmison being used as a workhorse and Hoggard just bowling when the new ball or conditions suit him.
No doubt that Harmison is a very good bowler when he's on song, but that only happens spazmodically. He has been completely dire for a while now, although he did have a good first Championship match. If he can keep up that sort of form in county cricket, I'd have no problem with him being picked for the first test, but at this stage I wouldn't have him there ahead of Jones, Hoggard or Panesar. Suggesting that Broad should be selected in front of him is indeed a bit much, but it's far from moronic to suggest that Anderson should be selected in front of him. A lot IMO will depend on early season to county form - lots of bowlers are in with some chance of getting that last place (or places, depending on the balance that ends up being opted for).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Your enthusiasm for all Cricket is refreshing Prince. You must be up there with SS, Perm & Richard as one of the keenest watchers of all Cricket, regardless of the team.

Scaly piscine

No doubt that Harmison is a very good bowler when he's on song, but that only happens spazmodically. He has been completely dire for a while now, although he did have a good first Championship match. If he can keep up that sort of form in county cricket, I'd have no problem with him being picked for the first test, but at this stage I wouldn't have him there ahead of Jones, Hoggard or Panesar. Suggesting that Broad should be selected in front of him is indeed a bit much, but it's far from moronic to suggest that Anderson should be selected in front of him. A lot IMO will depend on early season to county form - lots of bowlers are in with some chance of getting that last place (or places, depending on the balance that ends up being opted for).
The first Test is in 3-4 weeks not tomorrow. Harmison is typically much better when he's had the chance to get some proper rhythm going, which he will have for the first Test. Anderson's Test record is dire and the things that make him effective in ODIs aren't there for him in Tests.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Scaly Piscine said:
The first Test is in 3-4 weeks not tomorrow.
Which is exactly why I said that early season county form would play a big part in selection. We can't really predict what will happen in that regard though, so at this stage, the best we can do is say who we'd have now, all things remaining equal. As I said, if Harmison keeps up his early season county form (which currently consists of one game), then I'd have no problems with his selection, but if I had to pick the team now, he wouldn't be in it.

Scaly Piscine said:
Anderson's Test record is dire and the things that make him effective in ODIs aren't there for him in Tests.
So swing and pace don't exist in tests? I'm a firm believer that Anderson will eventually be a good test bowler. I'm not saying he should be picked for the first test because there are better candidates at this stage, but there is no intrinsic reason to suggest that he can't be a good test bowler in time.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Flintoff, Jones (Broad if Jones not fit), Hoggard, Anderson.

That would be my choice. But ofc Harmison will never get dropped, and Mahmood will probably get in too :@

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who should be in England's pace attack for First Test?

The options should have been
a) Modest
b) Poor
c) Terrible
d) Pathetic
d) ******* (censored)

:happy: