• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's pace attack for First Test

Who should be in England's pace attack for First Test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Back in the real world, Hoggard & Harmison are looking in pretty good shape, judging by the Durham/Yorks scorecard.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mahmood has garnered (deeply ironic use of that word tbh) as many votes as Plunkers.

I actually rate Saj higher then Liam, but tbh it's pitiful that either should be considered. I'd rather have Tudor or Silverwood, who both seem to be fit after trying times, and aren't quite as ancient as gougie and co.

Last edited:

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
and both Tudor and Silverwood can score a few runs at times.

To be honest though I don't see many quality options. I definitely think Plunkett is the most overrated bowler I've seen for years. Yes he gets wickets, but damn does he go for plenty of runs. Not International class at all.

What I've always wondered is why doesn't the ODI England side mirror the Test side as closely as possible. I think the best players play in the test side, so why is it so hard for our "best" bowlers who do this for a living to control a white ball?

It's the same with the batsmen. Just because for example Cook is seen as an opening test batsmen it doesn't mean he can't do it at ODI level. I have seen him perform very well for Essex on numerous occasions.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mahmood has garnered (deeply ironic use of that word tbh) as many votes as Plunkers.

I actually rate Saj higher then Liam, but tbh it's pitiful that either should be considered. I'd rather have Tudor or Silverwood, who both seem to be fit after trying times, and aren't quite as ancient as gougie and co.

Na I don't think so. He barely gets any movement. Plunkett has bowled well in his Test career and was England's best bowler in the series against Sri Lanka, his record looks bad because he's played on three absolute roads out of the six matches he's played in. His Test batting has been very disappointing so far tho.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
At this point I'm optimistically assuming there are no more injuries. I think it would be pretty pointless to not select Simon Jones when there's like 3-4 weeks til the first Test.

So it would be Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones.
Provided that Jones can prove himself before the first test i would say thats easily the best combination.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Laughing with me or at me?

I thought Gough retired to go be a celebrity dancer, and Caddick and Cork must both be in their 40s by now...
At the time of this post Gough was 36, Caddick 38 and Cork 35.

And all are very much still playing and while clearly not as good as they once were, still acceptible in very differing ways.

If you'd told me as late as 2003 that Gough and Cork would be better line-and-length merchants than Caddick I'd have laughed at you. But it's come to pass. :huh:

And no, it's not just that Caddick plays at that hole in Taunton. He's been expensive everywhere the last 3 seasons. :(

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not voting yet, as I'm confused about choosing between Harmison and Mahmood. Would you have Anderson in the Test team ahead of Hoggard? That would get the Test and ODI sides closer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would you have Anderson in the Test team ahead of Hoggard? That would get the Test and ODI sides closer.
Why on Earth would you make a selection just to try and get the two sides more similar in personnel? :wacko: