• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's pace attack for First Test

Who should be in England's pace attack for First Test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't think Anderson with his habit of falling away in his delivery stride will be capble of sustained accuracy at test level.

I'd give Harmison another chance against the West Indies
Haven't seen much of one Makhaya Ntini then, have you? :huh:

Also you don't think Anderson could be accurate enough and then you want to give Harmison another chance!? :blink:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well seeing as you've gone for a 2 man pace attack, who else is going to bowl overs?
I haven't, I just voted for the only 2 I'd see as certainties.

The others, you really might as well pick out of a hat if you're not going to go for Jones on the grounds of not being proven fit.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I nearly didn't put Flintoff and Hoggard in as I thought they were certs. Of the rest Harmison should get one more chance on the basis that WI will remember him for 2004 rather than the dross he's bowled since and he might have the "wood" on them. I'd only play three of them plus Monty (Flintoff's batting ATM is not good enough for No 6 and four bowlers worked perfectly well v Pakistan last summer.). My other options in the squad for Lord's would be Anderson and Lewis. IMO Plunkett and Mahmood need to be sent back to CC to work on their weaknesses and if they are good enough they will come back again. I wouldn't risk SJ till he has FC matches under his belt (we must learn from the fiasco of Giles last winter) so he is saved for the latter WI Tests or even India.
So the XI would be:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Collingwood
Bell
Flintoff
Foster
Harmison
Monty
Hoggard
With Anderson and Lweis standing by in the very unlikey event someone gets injured.:laugh:

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Flintoff, Hoaggard, Harmison and Lewis.

Harmison will come good again and should be given this chance imo. Lewis because he is deadly early(ish) season in England. Although I haven't taken into account where the test is because I don't know. The other two pick themselves as does the rest of the team (until Tres and Jones return). The only spot I can really see up for grabs is the wicketkeeper. No idea what they are going to do there.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Haven't seen much of one Makhaya Ntini then, have you? :huh:

Also you don't think Anderson could be accurate enough and then you want to give Harmison another chance!? :blink:
Ntini and Anderson have different actions and different problems.
In any case I think Ntini's action is flawed itself. By angling in so wide of the crease he effectively eliminates a major mode of dismissal: the LBW and the fact that he has a very low percentage of LBW dismissals bears testimony to that.

I also don't think Ntini is as great a bowler as he's made out to be.....yes, he's a very good bowler on the high veldt (but a lot of pace bowlers have enjoyed success over there) but his record away from home is far less impressive.

Swervy

International Captain
Haha, who on EARTH didn't vote for Flintoff? :blink:

And I really do have to wonder who these "other" are. I mean, I'd love to see Gough, Caddick and Cork, obviously, but sadly none exactly have a compelling case for selection at the current time...
hahah..you so much live in 2000 its untrue

Matt79

Global Moderator
Haha, who on EARTH didn't vote for Flintoff? :blink:

And I really do have to wonder who these "other" are. I mean, I'd love to see Gough, Caddick and Cork, obviously, but sadly none exactly have a compelling case for selection at the current time...
Only problem being that Gough, Caddick and Cork have all retired from all cricket haven't they?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amusing to see Sajid Mehmood's two votes (and one of them is from Dasa who has voted for all nine plus Others). Wonder what the selectors see in this joke of an international bowler that everyone else misses. He is pathetically clueless about what he should be doing and it shows from his facial expressions - not of cluelessness but of great knowledge after he has bowled another of his wild deliveries.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ntini and Anderson have different actions and different problems.
In any case I think Ntini's action is flawed itself. By angling in so wide of the crease he effectively eliminates a major mode of dismissal: the LBW and the fact that he has a very low percentage of LBW dismissals bears testimony to that.
But that angle also causes batsmen trouble with caught behind to compensate.