• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's pace attack for First Test

Who should be in England's pace attack for First Test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which is exactly why I said that early season county form would play a big part in selection. We can't really predict what will happen in that regard though, so at this stage, the best we can do is say who we'd have now, all things remaining equal. As I said, if Harmison keeps up his early season county form (which currently consists of one game), then I'd have no problems with his selection, but if I had to pick the team now, he wouldn't be in it.

So swing and pace don't exist in tests? I'm a firm believer that Anderson will eventually be a good test bowler. I'm not saying he should be picked for the first test because there are better candidates at this stage, but there is no intrinsic reason to suggest that he can't be a good test bowler in time.
We can assume Harmison will keep playing and so he'll be in decent rhythm by the First Test. Anderson is by no means pacey and the ball doesn't swing forever in Test cricket. In Tests Anderson just gets picked off because he bowls loose deliveries.

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
If it was a pure seam attack:

Flintoff
S Jones
Hoggard
Harmison

Generally in the side I'd include Monty, so I'd go with two from three of S Jones, Harmy and Hoggard. As we know Hoggy is consistent, but when on form (although very rare) Harmison can destroy any line-up. I'd go with the below line-up, BUT Harmy can easily be replaced by Hoggard. Obviously on a pitch without spin, Panesar would come out and be replaced by a seamer. I wish England would bowl Vaughan and Pietersen a hell of a lot more. If Bell fails to perform, I'd put Bopara in too.

Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Vaughan
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
Nixon
S Jones
Harmison
Panesar

Tresco, Bopara, Foster, Hoggard, Mahmood, Key, Anderson all knocking on the door.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Key?:blink:.The guy was awesome in domestic cricket a couple of years ago but he is surely behind the likes of Shah and Joyce in the pecking order.

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
Key?:blink:.The guy was awesome in domestic cricket a couple of years ago but he is surely behind the likes of Shah and Joyce in the pecking order.

He's a personal favourite of mine. I saw a lot of potential in the guy a few seasons back, and I do not believe he was given a big enough chance by England. I remember a top class innings against a poor West Indies admittedly, but it is one of my favourite by an England player. That 200+ score really proved to me he has what it takes. He scored an excellent 80 odd against South Africa too which sticks out in my mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right now the only ones I'd say would be certainties would be Hoggard and Flintoff.

Hands-up who thinks Mahmood or Plunkett will play... :ph34r:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt that Harmison is a very good bowler when he's on song, but that only happens spazmodically. He has been completely dire for a while now, although he did have a good first Championship match. If he can keep up that sort of form in county cricket, I'd have no problem with him being picked for the first test, but at this stage I wouldn't have him there ahead of Jones, Hoggard or Panesar. Suggesting that Broad should be selected in front of him is indeed a bit much, but it's far from moronic to suggest that Anderson should be selected in front of him. A lot IMO will depend on early season to county form - lots of bowlers are in with some chance of getting that last place (or places, depending on the balance that ends up being opted for).
Really well put. Given what we've seen from Harmison over the last two and a half years, he shouldn't even be in the frame, but our resources aren't quite what some would have us believe. That may well change over the next year or so if Plunkett, Mahmood & Broad (in whatever order of preference) improve, but I wouldn't yet fancy any of them in a four man attack. However, if Anderson comes back to Lancs and take a truckload of wickets, then Harmison couldn't have any complaints if he did make way. As for Jones, I gather he isn't being considered for Glamorgan's first 4-day game, so I think we can assume he's a very long way from test selection just yet.

btw did you read the article with Harmison in TWC this month? Twas a hoot.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that Harmison is a certainty as well. IMO it is also probable that Panesar will play as well. Hoggard-Harmison-Flintoff-Panesar will be much to strong for a WI side no without BCL.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Right now the only ones I'd say would be certainties would be Hoggard and Flintoff.

Hands-up who thinks Mahmood or Plunkett will play... :ph34r:
Depends on the balance. If the selectors disagree with virtually the whole of CW and play Flintoff at 6, then we could yet see one of the dynamic duo.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Harmison, Plunkett and Mahmood. :)

Perversely even with such an appalling looking bowling line up the West Indies would still lose handsomely.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
3 seamers and a spinner for me.

Jones cannot yet be risked as part of a 4 man attack IMO and Flintoff has to be now thought of as a bowler who can bat 7 (or even 8 if by some fluke an awesome batting keeper comes on the scene)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dasa who's going to bat at 4, 5 and 6? :laugh:

Good to see my 3 are winning. Really Flintoff, Hoggard and Harmison all pick themselves, and I would be surprised if Panesar isn't there either.

FBU

International Debutant
1.Harmison - reserve Broad
2.Jones - reserve Plunkett
3.Hoggard - reserve Anderson

If Jones is not ready then play the extra batsman. Panesar took 40+ wickets in his first year, if he keeps that up this year, Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff and Panesar should be fine. If for some reason Harmison was injured I think a couple of Tests would be fine for Broad.

The only person Anderson should replace would be Hoggard as they both can't bat and do the same type of job with the ball. Of all the bowlers Hoggard is the most sturdy so Anderson probably will need to wait until Hoggard retires and concentrate on his one day bowling. I expect to see a big improvement next time as his finger should have healed and we should have a new bowling coach and captain.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I think Anderson (and Mahmood even though neither are contracted iirc) is only going to be allowed one FC game by the ECB before the first test, so it will be hard for him to press his case by domestic performances.

Sadly I can see it being a case of Anderson being dragged around as 12th man again this summer.

this is the side i believe will be picked

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Collingwood
Pietersen
Bell
Flintoff
Nixon
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar