• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most under-rated players

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Why wasn't he picked for tests, and ODIs (last year).
I'm not exactly sure when he got dropped from the ODI side - I'm guessing post 03 WC or early 04. But he didn't get picked because the Australian selectors had a 4 year plan to the 07 WC, and looking at the results - not just from the WC, but from the CT and other ODI tournaments in general; that plan worked quite well.

As for Tests. There are a few reasons.
1. Too old
2. Better players than him in the current squad that bat in his posiiton(s): Clarke, Hussey, Martyn*
3. Better players lining up: Voges, Symonds* Watson*, Rogers, Hodge, Love*
4. Has had enough opportunities at Test level and failed
5. Can't face the short ball

adharcric

International Coach
Let me pick one from each side.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Sajid Mahmood (dire but not as **** as you would think ...)
Ashwell Prince
Yasir Hameed
Ramesh Powar
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Mashrafe Mortaza
Brad Hogg
Scott Styris

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
His name invites dire puns. That's a desirable quality in a cricketer for StumpMic I'd imagine, because he has nothing else to him.
He has a very nice name. I have never heard of any jokes made about it and anybody that makes jokes about Maharoof's name needs to learn to be tolerant of others. It may be part of your culture to make fun of people's names but it certainly isn't part of mine. It is considered intolerant to make fun of people's names in this part of the world.

The reason I think he is underrated is because people, especially on CW, don't give him credit for his good performances such as his 6 wicket haul against the Windies in the Champions trophy .He has a good bowling average of ~25, he is an accurate line and length bowler and the best lower order batsman produced by SL in recent times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
StumpMic said:
He has a very nice name. I have never heard of any jokes made about it and anybody that makes jokes about Maharoof's name needs to learn to be tolerant of others. It may be part of your culture to make fun of people's names but it certainly isn't part of mine. It is considered intolerant to make fun of people's names in this part of the world.
If his name invited puns, then I'll make 'em, ITBT.

adharcric

International Coach
Haha, wtf.

Beleg

International Regular
Allan Donald.

Daylight.

Shoaib Akhtar

Among the less accomplished ones:

- Richie Richardson
- Hansie Cronje
- Gavin Larsen
- Andy Flower
- Arvinda De Silva
- Steve Johnson
- Shoaib Mohammad
- Ijaz Ahmed

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Let me pick one from each side.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Sajid Mahmood (dire but not as **** as you would think ...)
Ashwell Prince
Yasir Hameed
Ramesh Powar
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Mashrafe Mortaza
Brad Hogg
Scott Styris
Can you give me a reason as to why you think Mahmood is underrated?.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha wtf?
It was clearly a case of Gel in the eyes, man. Can even cause the eyes to roll, that can.

(The great thing about this pun-subject is that no-one can use mine without it being inappropriate :laugh: Mind, I'd guess old Volty could give it a decent shot)

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Allan Donald.

Daylight.

Shoaib Akhtar

Among the less accomplished ones:

- Richie Richardson
- Hansie Cronje
- Gavin Larsen
- Andy Flower
- Arvinda De Silva
- Steve Johnson
- Shoaib Mohammad
- Ijaz Ahmed
Cheater! :@

inbox24

International Debutant
I thought Bevan got rid of his short ball weakness. As for being too old, it was strange because players like Hayden and Gilchrist are still being picked.

Oh well it's tragic to have wasted a player like that, if he'd played for any other country he could have easily had 100 tests and/or 200+ ODIs.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
nathan bracken is very consistent - hugely underrated
mohammed asif - everyone talks about shoaib akhtar for pakistan(overrated) but i believe mohammed asif has what it takes to be the next pollock/mcgrath, he bowls line and length consistently