• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most under-rated players

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How many other blokes have made as swift as Clarke did to comeback into the Aussie test side after being dropped?
He came back into the side as a replacement for Shane Watson after some good FC perforrmances, there was really nobody else for the job.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Michael Clarke= Underrated, no way NUFAN.

I think he is rated pretty highly by the Aussie selectors and players and he is the golden boy of Australian cricket and tipped to be the next Aussie captain.

How many other blokes have made as swift as Clarke did to comeback into the Aussie test side after being dropped?
I'm talking about one dayers champ. He is currently averaging higher then Ponting and has a better strike rate also but doesn't quite get the recognition. No one mentions him if they are name World XI's and I think he should be up there.

Btw I know you don't underrate him. :laugh:

pup11

International Coach
The most underrated players ever are :-

1.J.Gillespie
2.S.Chandrapaul
3.N.Bracken
4.A.Hall
5.P.Nixon
6.R.Powar
7.B.Hogg
8.I.Ul-Haq
9.S.Styris
10.S.MacGill

All these players have always performed consistently for their countries but their good work always seems to get overshadowed by star-power and they never seem to get their due appreciation.

Such blokes are unsung heros of their sides.

Perm

I'm talking about one dayers champ. He is currently averaging higher then Ponting and has a better strike rate also but doesn't quite get the recognition. No one mentions him if they are name World XI's and I think he should be up there.

Btw I know you don't underrate him. :laugh:
A fair few not outs contribute to that, Ponting is the better ODI player but I can see Clarke surpassing him in the future.

Perm

The most underrated players ever are :-

1.J.Gillespie
2.S.Chandrapaul
3.N.Bracken
4.A.Hall
5.P.Nixon
6.R.Powar
7.B.Hogg
8.I.Ul-Haq
9.S.Styris
10.S.MacGill

All these players have always performed consistently for their countries but their good work always seems to get overshadowed by star-power and they never seem to get their due appreciation.

Such blokes are unsung heros of their sides.
Most under-rated ever? Or just in the past 5 years?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A fair few not outs contribute to that, Ponting is the better ODI player but I can see Clarke surpassing him in the future.
It's not exactly Clarke fault that he got not out now is it? He COULD have gone on and make a stack more runs but unfortunately ran out of overs or won the game..

Perm

It's not exactly Clarke fault that he got not out now is it? He COULD have gone on and make a stack more runs but unfortunately ran out of overs or won the game..
Just pointing out that he isn't as good as his average suggests. This coming from a guy who rates him very highly.

pup11

International Coach
Permsy, Clarke was back in the test squad (though he didn't play any matches) in the South African tour itself and he played in 2 test matches in Bangladesh test series, so he made his comeback into the test side before the Ashes 06.

P.S: Yeah NUFAN i rate Clarkie pretty highly but there is still a long way to go before he can make a place for himself in a World XI side.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just pointing out that he isn't as good as his average suggests. This coming from a guy who rates him very highly.
Yeah I just have a pet hate when people say that not outs have helped his average a lot. Like in a test match, fair enough, if a guy doesn't go for risky shots, but in ODI's Clarke is definately a team player who bats at a great rate, often overshadowed as he hardly ever makes the top score in Australias innings..

He has turned the retirement of Damian Martyn (who was an underrated batsmen), into a positive..

pup11

International Coach
Clarke would blossom into an even better odi batsman now since he has been promoted to no.4, the results have already started to show as he has had a superb WC so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly can't believe people still like having these threads... near enough everyone at some point in their career has been incredibly both under and over rated.

These sorts of threads must surely be the most common in CW history.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
But who would be most under-rated player? Someone who has played vital knocks in crunch times, when their team is in dire straits. He might have a very modest statistics to show.
Reading that I immediately thought Cullinan. Good to see him getting recognition early in a thread.

No recent batsman has scored runs whilst others around failed and on tough tracks like Cullinan did. Its really unfortunate (but possibly understandable) that he will go down in history as Warnes bunny rather than the incredibly talented batsman he was.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Carl Hooper was not under-rated. He underachieved. In many ways he was over-rated.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul is still one of the most under-rated players in world cricket, especially in ODI cricket.
Agree on both points

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
My choice lies with Simon Jones
Give him 20 more test matches and we'll see, I find it hard to 'rate' someone accurately whose only played 16 Tests. In saying that, he was probably England's (or even the most underrated bowler) in the Ashes.

Mark Boucher
I was going to mention him, but considering the fact he's played 100 tests...