• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moody & Watmore approached by BCCI to coach India

Binit

Cricket Spectator
Question 1 - why was Ravi Shastri named as MANAGER then?

Question 2 - who do you think (between Dave Watmore & tom Moody) will be better for Team India. My vote goes to Moody because he ain't that greedy man. He declined Indian job when Srilankans were mid-way the world cup. On other hand - Dave watmore quit his Bangladesh job mid way (he could have continued) to make way for India job.

Who knows he will throw Indian job for an English job someday.. Moody seems better. Or some other name you want to suggest..??

adharcric

International Coach
1) Shastri is the manager and interim coach. Is it confusing?

2) Whatmore. He has dealt with politics in SL whereas Moody seemed to have issues with the SL politics earlier in his tenure. Either would be worth a shot, actually.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, Shastri was named on the basis that it was a temporary thing until they had time to go through a proper process to find a new coach.

Either could be good, although neither will produce the results they are capable of producing if they don't get better cooperation from the other parties involved than was the case with Chappell.

I'd be tempted to say Whatmore because I think (based only a couple of interviews etc that I've read so I could well be completely wrong) that Moody might prefer to be based in England or Australia and hence Whatmore might be the happier, hence more effective, coach of India.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And how do you know that money is the only factor ? Why cant be it just be an opportunity to coach some world class talent ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why cant be it just be an opportunity to coach some world class talent ?
Because then it would be precisely the wrong country to come coach....:laugh:

Aside from Dravid, not a single person in the team is 'world class' at their current age/form.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I don't know how much politics there was/is in the Sri Lankan Cricket board, but Whatmore coped with it. The BCB were pretty much all ear to Whatmore besides a few times when he asked for raises and incentives every so often (but they ultimately obliged to pay him). India however is a whole different war field. True, that Dav can cope with politics, but he likes to have things set his way on the highway. If they are not, little positives usually come out :mellow:!

He is a better candidate at the moment but might just not be as happy later on as he is right now at the prospect of coaching India. It all depends on how BCCI treats him ultimately!

Moody on the other hand as adharcric pointed out is a little more straight forward and doesn't like much politics.....hence, he should come to Bangladesh :).....(lol :p)!!!!!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The important thing is for BCCI to lay down very clearly AND IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, for every idiot's consumption too, what are the coach's clear area of responsibility and what arent. From selection of squad, selection of playing XI, overall strategy, tactics on the field, batting orders, discipline, etc etc.

Some of these may have obvious andwers but they still need to be laid out in entirety. Same has to be done with the captains powers.

If there are committees for certain functions, particularly on tour comprising, say coach, captain, and/or vice captain/senior player and/or manager etc. The head of the committee who has the final say in case of disagreement MUST be spelt out clearly.

The role of selection committee (read Cahirman most of the time) must be spelt out and they must get off the responsibilty/duty/mouthing-off/responding to media etc once they have done that job.

A tight tape/zipper/lock should be put on everyone's lips and one person only should answer the media. There should be no need to respond to leading questions. People can be caught off guard but should remain shut and avoid situations where the senior most cricketer responds to a provocative one about what the cach said of him (allegedly) in pique and added "if he did say so". It would have been so much smarter to say, I dont know if he said that and I prefer not to respond till I have checked with him directly.

Captain, coach and senior players should be smart and media savvy enough not to be allowed to be provoked in public. If they cant do that they deserve a reprimand and a zipper on the lips.

Any leaks from anywhere including coach, captain, officials (BCCI) should be the ultimate crime and should be liable to maximum punishment/banishment.

There is no excuse for this whatsoever.

The BCCI should have no role to play in the public domain once the basic rules of management have been laid down.

If they do all this and make it clear to the incumbent and everyone else, then if he is satisfied with the arrangement we may be able to find out how good a coach/effective a coach might be in India (or Pakistan for that matter). Till them we are free to chose our own prefered villans and martyrs or allow the silly idiots in the media to do it for us.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

The important thing is for BCCI to lay down very clearly AND IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, for every idiot's consumption too, what are the coach's clear area of responsibility and what arent. From selection of squad, selection of playing XI, overall strategy, tactics on the field, batting orders, discipline, etc etc.

Some of these may have obvious andwers but they still need to be laid out in entirety. Same has to be done with the captains powers.

If there are committees for certain functions, particularly on tour comprising, say coach, captain, and/or vice captain/senior player and/or manager etc. The head of the committee who has the final say in case of disagreement MUST be spelt out clearly.

The role of selection committee (read Cahirman most of the time) must be spelt out and they must get off the responsibilty/duty/mouthing-off/responding to media etc once they have done that job.

A tight tape/zipper/lock should be put on everyone's lips and one person only should answer the media. There should be no need to respond to leading questions. People can be caught off guard but should remain shut and avoid situations where the senior most cricketer responds to a provocative one about what the cach said of him (allegedly) in pique and added "if he did say so". It would have been so much smarter to say, I dont know if he said that and I prefer not to respond till I have checked with him directly.

Captain, coach and senior players should be smart and media savvy enough not to be allowed to be provoked in public. If they cant do that they deserve a reprimand and a zipper on the lips.

Any leaks from anywhere including coach, captain, officials (BCCI) should be the ultimate crime and should be liable to maximum punishment/banishment.

The BCCI should have no role to play in the public domain once the basic rules of management have been laid down.

If they do all this and make it clear to the incumbent and everyone else, then if he is satisfied with the arrangement we may be able to find out how good a coach/effective a coach might be in India (or Pakistan for that matter). Till them we are free to chose our own prefered villans and martyrs or allow the silly idiots in the media to do it for us.
Nice points SJS :blink:!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I think you should email The BCCI with that, SJS - probably won't do any good, but you never know! :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Question 1 - why was Ravi Shastri named as MANAGER then?

Question 2 - who do you think (between Dave Watmore & tom Moody) will be better for Team India. My vote goes to Moody because he ain't that greedy man. He declined Indian job when Srilankans were mid-way the world cup. On other hand - Dave watmore quit his Bangladesh job mid way (he could have continued) to make way for India job.

Who knows he will throw Indian job for an English job someday.. Moody seems better. Or some other name you want to suggest..??
Shastri was a temporary appointment, he was never going to be a long term coach for India. Seeing as how Tom Moody is probably going back to Western Australia, I think Dav Whatmore is more likely to get the nod.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder who will coach Sri Lanka ....It still seems unclear if Moody is definitely going or still unsure.

I hope SL try and retain him....Otherwise how about getting Troy Cooley and Ashley Mallett for SL ? or Greg Chappell or John Wright for SL ? (not sure if Chappell will come to SL for the money on offer from SL)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like all the coaches bar SA coach Mickey Arthur and NZ's John Bracewell are moving on...

John Buchanan -Australia - retiring
Tom Moody - Sri Lanka ? returning back to WA
Duncan Fletcher -England -resigns (would've got sacked:) )
Greg Chappell - India -resigns (would've got sacked)
Bob Woolmer - Pakistan - murdered
Dav Whatmore - Bangladesh - resigns (would have been retained)
Bennett King - West Indies - resigns (? unsure if he would've been retained)

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I would rather you not use that phrase given the circumstances of recent events at World Cup with death of a coach.:blink:

:laugh:
I didn't mean it that way, but err.....it was a dumb mistake so my sincerest apologies :(.

COACH FISHING SEASON OPEN! COME ONE COME 7 TEAMS!

That's better now :)!

Last edited: