• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Bradshaw retires; Bennett King resigns

Craig

World Traveller
I suppose Bradshaw feels as though he won't be around for WC2011 (although he is only 32). Will he still play for Barbados or will he go and persue other interests (or look to play in England?)?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shame for Bradshaw, his ODI career has been in the end something of a disappointment given how good he had been looking at one point.

Makes no sense for him to carry on now, of course, IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Whither the Windies now? It will be interesting to see who gets the gig as coach. It wouldn't be a job people would be keen on as once would have been the case. There are a few coaches with international experience available - I can't see Buchanan or Chappell really being keen, but any of Fletcher, Moody or Whatmore (if they don't get the India job) might be interested. Alternatively, there's no shortage of WI champions who might be interested - although the inter-island politics being what it is, it might be more likely that an outsider might gain a consensus as the replacement.

Whoever gets the job, I wish them luck in restoring the West Indies to the status of a top team. It will not, you'd think, be an easy job - but if done right, will make world cricket a much better sport.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointing to see Bradshaw retire, I've thought for the last few years that he was easily the most under-rated bowler in ODIs.

Thought he could have become useful in Tests too but he'll retire with an average of 60. :mellow:

pup11

International Coach
Give me a break simmy, McGrath is not a liability for his team and the WC is his last tournament and he is still performing better than all other bowlers in this WC. He is a legend in the game of cricket has every right to quit the game on his own terms (of course if his form would have dipped dramaticaly in recent times then he would have been dropped).

I feel bad for Bradshaw but then he and King didn't had much of a future in WI cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yea, God forbid someone stays on while still being the best bowler on the team. 8-)
Not only that, but it's strange timing for such a post, since McGrath has confirmed his retirement from both forms of the game and will only play two more games of cricket in his life.

He quite obviously has come and will go.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whoever gets the job, I wish them luck in restoring the West Indies to the status of a top team. It will not, you'd think, be an easy job - but if done right, will make world cricket a much better sport.

Why? Although the WI have some of my favourite players, I don't subscribe to this viewpoint that cricket benifits if there is a strong West Indian team... Let us not forget that the decline of the West Indies team has allowed Australia to flourish, and has coincided with Sri Lanka becoming a dominant force, as well as the return of South Africa and the emergance of Bangladesh..

Teams go up, teams go down, thats the same in any sport, and I don't see why a tear should be shed because some teams happen to be at the bottom..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why? Although the WI have some of my favourite players, I don't subscribe to this viewpoint that cricket benifits if there is a strong West Indian team... Let us not forget that the decline of the West Indies team has allowed Australia to flourish, and has coincided with Sri Lanka becoming a dominant force, as well as the return of South Africa and the emergance of Bangladesh..

Teams go up, teams go down, thats the same in any sport, and I don't see why a tear should be shed because some teams happen to be at the bottom..
Obviously though, if teams improve, you get better quality cricket and hence cricket benefits from that. It's not a matter of the West Indies being a better side than other teams in world cricket, but a matter of them being better than they are now. Increased quality of one team doesn't lead to decreased quality in another, except by comparison...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bradshaw had a good career, I'll remember his typical 10-1-41-2 fondly. Also he helped win a Champions Trophy, not many players can say they've done that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

http://forum.cricketweb.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1165962

Shame for Bradshaw, his ODI career has been in the end something of a disappointment given how good he had been looking at one point.

Makes no sense for him to carry on now, of course, IMO.
Oh give him more credit than that. He only fell away in his very last few matches. At one point in the Champions Trophy last year his average was under 26 and his economy rate was under 4.20.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Obviously though, if teams improve, you get better quality cricket and hence cricket benefits from that. It's not a matter of the West Indies being a better side than other teams in world cricket, but a matter of them being better than they are now. Increased quality of one team doesn't lead to decreased quality in another, except by comparison...
Exactly. It's a pretty basic concept.

Only good things can come from a strong West Indies team. But the same can be said of every team in world cricket. The reason why people make the comment in reference to the West Indies so often is because of the attractiveness with which they play cricket when they're going well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh give him more credit than that. He only fell away in his very last few matches. At one point in the Champions Trophy last year his average was under 26 and his economy rate was under 4.20.
But the substandard sides have always inflated his record - 9 for 27 against Ireland, 2.64-an-over against Bangladesh, 2.83-an-over against Zimbabwe.

Bradshaw has, of course, still managed to do better than most of the span of his career, but given that when I first saw him I thought we might have our first 3.9-4-4.1 ER bowler for many a year, I'm disappointed.

It was especially disappointing to see him having those horror tours of India and New Zealand - in addition to those last 2 awful games in the WC.

He's also been poorly used - he should never IMO have bowled a single over in the last 10. I'd imagine if you knock out those overs his record would be rather better too.

It's also disappointing that he had as many as 11 horror-story games (for the purpose of simplicity we'll say going for more than 5.5-an-over) out of 51 - that's a horror-story game more than 1 in 5.

I mean, I never thought he was going to be Pollock or McGrath, but for the number of times he bowled really well - as I say, I'm just a bit disappointed. I absolutely hated seeing him go around the park, especially when the like of Shahid Afridi and Lou Vincent were responsible.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Really top ODI bowler.Shame he made his debut quite late on in his career as I would have liked to seen him bowl 5-10 years ago.Him along with Chris Gayle have been the Windies most succesful and economical bowlers for the past couple of years and it was a travesty that he was dropped for the opening game of the WC.TBH I don't know what he did wrong to get dropped.