• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar to miss preparatory camp

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Salman Butt back in the reckoning, equally good to see guys like Danish Kaneria and Younis Khan not in the squad.

shortpitched713

International Captain
equally good to see guys like Danish Kaneria and Younis Khan not in the squad.
Younis Khan hasn't performed particularly badly in ODIs, sure hes not the best but I think hes pretty much clearly better than any of the other middle order options right now. Kaneria has a bad ODI record but he has looked quite good in his last few ODIs. I suppose you could justify him not being in the final squad but hes precisely the kind of talented individual that I would want in the training camp.

Mansoor Amjad is a fine choice on the spin front though.

Perm

Younis Khan is a crap ODI batsman, face it. The stats don't lie in this case and an average of 32 or so reflects how poor he is, not to mention only 2 centuries, one of which came against Hong Kong. Kaneria isn't quite as bad, but I'd far prefer Abdur Rehman as a spinner in my ODI side.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd still rather have Younis in my side compared to the likes of Hameed,Butt,Faisal,Farhat,Taufeeq etc TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Younis Khan's ODI official ODI record flatters him sooooooooo much. Averages like less than 27 against real ODI sides.

EDIT: PC, you'd rather have him than Salman Butt and Yasir Hameed? I can only assume you went insane for the duration of the matches you were watching all 3 in, then, TBH.

Perm

I'd still rather have Younis in my side compared to the likes of Hameed,Butt,Faisal,Farhat,Taufeeq etc TBH.
Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of those players, but Butt is a gun. Those other guys have all had pretty limited opportunities, unlike Younis who has been a substandard ODI batsman and still managed to get so many games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hameed has always looked far more promising than most IMO too, if never quite as good as Salman.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
EDIT: PC, you'd rather have him than Salman Butt and Yasir Hameed? I can only assume you went insane for the duration of the matches you were watching all 3 in, then, TBH.
Butt and Hameed are hardly brilliant ODI players are they?.It's not as if these two are so much better than Younis in ODI cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they'd played 150 games with their current records maybe, but they're both much earlier on in their careers and especially Butt has an excellent domestic one-day record.

IMO both remain hugely promising.

Perm

Butt and Hameed are hardly brilliant ODI players are they?.It's not as if these two are so much better than Younis in ODI cricket.
Butt is the best OD opener in Pakistan. Huge amounts of talent and a very impressive domestic record.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's because he wasn't picked... yes? :unsure:

If anyone is seriously contending that the like of Mohammad Hafeez is better I want to know what they've been eating.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That's because he wasn't picked... yes? :unsure:
Well if you're appartantly the best OD player in Pakistan then why the hell aren't you playing in the WC ahead of donkies like Imran Nazir and Mohammed Hafeez.Perm just stated that he feels Butt is the best OD opener in Pakistan.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That's right, glad to see you were watching. Maybe you should try doing that when you see Younis and Butt bat, then you'll know who the better batsman is.
I was trying to say that because you stated that he was IYO the best OD opener in Pakistan.I countered that by saying why wasn't he at the WC if he is that good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well if you're appartantly the best OD player in Pakistan then why the hell aren't you playing in the WC ahead of donkies like Imran Nazir and Mohammed Hafeez.Perm just stated that he feels Butt is the best OD opener in Pakistan.
And I can't believe he's not playing for Pakistan ahead of donkies like Hafeez and Nazir. It beggars belief. Salman Butt is the best one-day opener in Pakistan, his record shows that quite clearly, and it beggars belief that any of those 2 and Imran Farhat, Taufeeq Umar, etc. have ever opened in preference to him.

Perm

I was trying to say that because you stated that he was IYO the best OD opener in Pakistan.I countered that by saying why wasn't he at the WC if he is that good.
The selectors feel differently to me, wouldn't be the first time in history that has happened. I still feel he is the best OD opener in Pakistan, he is a gun. One of my favourite players which influences my opinion a shade, but his record doesn't lie. Compare that to Younis Khan, who I think has 3 List A centuries.