• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future captain of Team India

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
The topic assumes more importance than ever in the context of Indian team withoug a vice captian. Dravid would be around for 1-3 years, but it is the right time to hand over the reins to a younger player with potential.

Greg Chappel has spoken highly of dinesh Kaarthick's leadership qualities before the team left for WI. Greg thought Yuvraj was not the right candidate citing "Yuvraj believes he is a star, when he is just a rising one"

Thoughts?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ramjumar_gr said:
Dravid would be around for 1-3 years, but it is the right time to hand over the reins to a younger player with potential.
Hah, no it isn't. Why should Dravid be stripped of his captaincy...he won a test series in the carribean (for the first time since 71, and won a Test in SA for first time ever).
ramkumar_gr said:
Greg Chappel has spoken highly of dinesh Kaarthick's leadership qualities before the team left for WI.
Making change for the sake of making change is ridiculous. Karthik is not a regular in either team, what the heck makes him qualified? And Yuvraj shouldn't even be mentioned. How about he focuses on being a quality Test batsman first?

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Hah, no it isn't. Why should Dravid be stripped of his captaincy...he won a test series in the carribean (for the first time since 71, and won a Test in SA for first time ever).

Making change for the sake of making change is ridiculous. Karthik is not a regular in either team, what the heck makes him qualified? And Yuvraj shouldn't even be mentioned. How about he focuses on being a quality Test batsman first?
Do you think Dravid should go scot-free for the WC debacle. The very fact that India did not qualify for the super8s testify some of his stategies have backfired, if not all.

Yes, India won in WI 1-0 , where it should have won 3-0.

Why do you think Greg should have thrown some light on this? It is a very neutral un-biased comment that should be taken seriously.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Do you think Dravid should go scot-free for the WC debacle. The very fact that India did not qualify for the super8s testify some of his stategies have backfired, if not all.
First of all, the "debacle" was two terrible games - Dravid was captain for 2 years. I have a feeling the "debacle" had a bit more to do with our pathetic batting (bowling and fielding as well) than it did with Dravid's captaincy.

As for the future, someone should definitely be groomed as a vice-captain. Dinesh Karthik? Not a regular. Yuvraj Singh? Not a regular. Ganguly, Tendulkar? Too old. Kaif? The ideal candidate but the selectors kicked his ass once again. Dhoni? Yes, he's the best option at the moment. That's rather sad.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
First of all, the "debacle" was two terrible games - Dravid was captain for 2 years. I have a feeling the "debacle" had a bit more to do with our pathetic batting (bowling and fielding as well) than it did with Dravid's captaincy.

As for the future, someone should definitely be groomed as a vice-captain. Dinesh Karthik? Not a regular. Yuvraj Singh? Not a regular. Ganguly, Tendulkar? Too old. Kaif? The ideal candidate but the selectors kicked his ass once again. Dhoni? Yes, he's the best option at the moment. That's rather sad.
what makes Kaif the ideal candidate. If I buy your argument of Karthick and Yuvraj not being regulars, Kaif is not even there in the frame. I feel selectors have done a good job in not selecting perennial pretenders like Kaif and Raina.

adharcric

International Coach
what makes Kaif the ideal candidate. If I buy your argument of Karthick and Yuvraj not being regulars, Kaif is not even there in the frame. I feel selectors have done a good job in not selecting perennial pretenders like Kaif and Raina.
He is the ideal candidate because he is arguably the best young captain in India today. Of course, he is not a genuine candidate right now because he is not a regular. In that sense, Dhoni is the best candidate. Even Yuvraj can be named the vice-captain in ODIs since Laxman is the test VC, but Yuvraj should focus on his batting.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
He is the ideal candidate because he is arguably the best young captain in India today. Of course, he is not a genuine candidate right now because he is not a regular. In that sense, Dhoni is the best candidate. Even Yuvraj can be named the vice-captain in ODIs since Laxman is the test VC, but Yuvraj should focus on his batting.
Yes, you are right. VVS should have been made the VC for tests. no doubt.

deeps

International 12th Man
Typical of an indian supporter there. We didn't qualify, or we didn't do what we should have done, let's blame the coach and captain. Has it ever occured to you that cricket is played by ELEVEN players on the field, and there's only so much a captain and coach could do? Even if Steve Waugh or whoever you believe the best captain of all time, had captained the Indians, i don't think they would have done much better than they did.

At the end of the day the batting was terrible, and there's only so much a captain can do about that. The field placings, bowling changes etc. are where a captain can show his wares, and i don't think Dravid did a particularly bad job.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
India's failure in the WC 2007 was by and large a massive failure of their highly rated batting line up.

I wonder what role a skiper (in his capacity as skipper) could have played in that. :sleep:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India's failure in the WC 2007 was by and large a massive failure of their highly rated batting line up.

I wonder what role a skiper (in his capacity as skipper) could have played in that. :sleep:
gotta agree. very harsh on DRavid here, ram. His captaincy was NOT the reason we lost and when that is the case (and esp. with no one even remotely good enough coming up the horizon given the Dad's army that our team is), this is no time for a change in captaincy. Hopefully, Dravid will be around for two years from now and just as hopefully, either Yuvraj or someone else will play well enough to be a regular in both forms of the game and also be young enough to be groomed for the captaincy.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
gotta agree. very harsh on DRavid here, ram. His captaincy was NOT the reason we lost and when that is the case (and esp. with no one even remotely good enough coming up the horizon given the Dad's army that our team is), this is no time for a change in captaincy. Hopefully, Dravid will be around for two years from now and just as hopefully, either Yuvraj or someone else will play well enough to be a regular in both forms of the game and also be young enough to be groomed for the captaincy.
I agree completely with you. But tell me in generic terms, how do you do the appraisal for a skipper?

pup11

International Coach
I think saying that Indian team's debacle in recent times is just limited to 2 bad games in this WC won't be right, they have been very poor in ODI cricket for sometime now.

They lost 4-1 to WI in WI, then they didn't qualify for the finals of DLF Cup in KL,they got knocked out in first round of C-T in India and then lost to SA 4-0 in SA, so that is a very poor record in recent times.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
His captaincy was NOT the reason we lost and when that is the case.
So the decision to bat first against Bangladesh was a good one ?
Decision to pick Virender Sehwag was a good one ?
Having no clue about the batting order was good captaincy ?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Short answer is that it wasn't a bad choice. People have to reliase that if you play good enough cricket you can win whether or not you win or lose the toss.

If India make runs, you wouldn't even consider it a bad decision. It's always easier to have a "smart" opinion after the event.

Look at the Manchester test where Mark Taylor chose to bat first, and Steve Waugh hit centuries in each innings. Did Taylor make the wrong choice? No, frankly I don't give a toss about who gets to bat or bowl first..

Don't blame Sehwag either, He actually batted well in 2 of the 3 innings, so YES it was a good decision to pick him. He averaged the best for the entire team, do you even watch Cricket mate? Blame Uthappa or Dhoni who were both shocking.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think the batting order or the selection policy should be blamed on the captain by any means.

The toss - yes. However I would have done the same, given the fact that the spin-dominted Bangladesh attack would generally be more suited to bowling in the second innings, especially in the predicted slow West Indian conditions. We saw this with the match South Africa and Smith has received criticism for bowling first.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Short answer is that it wasn't a bad choice. People have to reliase that if you play good enough cricket you can win whether or not you win or lose the toss.

If India make runs, you wouldn't even consider it a bad decision. It's always easier to have a "smart" opinion after the event.

Look at the Manchester test where Mark Taylor chose to bat first, and Steve Waugh hit centuries in each innings. Did Taylor make the wrong choice? No, frankly I don't give a toss about who gets to bat or bowl first..

Don't blame Sehwag either, He actually batted well in 2 of the 3 innings, so YES it was a good decision to pick him. He averaged the best for the entire team, do you even watch Cricket mate? Blame Uthappa or Dhoni who were both shocking.
IMHO,This should be just 1 of the 3. Ignore Bermuda please.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah exactly what Prince said. You are upset just because he played bad against Bangas really. We should just ignore Bangladesh.. That's pretty much what the entire India team did anyways..