• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Trescothick be in englands team in summer?

Should Trescothick be allowed back into Englands squad?

• Just the Test Team

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There isn't a "when he's sure his head's right" option, but that's basically my opinion. I think Tres himself said something similar: he'd only make himself available for England if he were certain he could stand a tour.

Although, given he's still centrally contracted, whether or not he can strictly make himself unavailable is another issue.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
i said for summer - england will be at home not away on tour
Yeah, but I think Tres meant that, out of fairness to the players who are up to touring, he wouldn't play any international cricket, home or away, until he was certain he could tour without a relapse into his stress-related illness.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Once he scores runs & can prove that he is totally over his troubles get him back in the side immediately, it will make the test side better & will improve the ODI side a great deal. His aggression at the top in the ODI side has was missed a great deal during the WC.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah no reason he shouldn't come out even stronger from this if he's worked on all the issues surrounding whatever was wrong with him. He should be eased back into the side as well.

However firstly whatever happens with Somerset makes little difference as, as far as I'm aware it's something that gets worse when travelling/touring. So there isn't any way he can prove that he's mentally fit unfortunately. It's not like you can do some test and get a result, like for physical things. That means taking him on tour will be a gamble for himself and for England as we can never really be sure how well he's doing. Not even he can. This is something that can strike out of the blue and with little to no warning. Still it's a gamble I'd take and if he says he's ready and he's honest about it and there has been significant psychiatric development then I'd take him, for sure.

pup11

International Coach
If form and mental state permit Tresco should be back into the England side as soon as possible.

ozone

First Class Debutant
IMO, he should be in the ODI side but England don't need him in Tests so he shouldn't be rushed into the side. It would probably be better if he only plays ODIs for the rest of his international career because then he wouldn't have to tour for as long.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
I think he should be in the ODI side. But then again im not convinced that , if he can no longer tour away , then he shouldn't be playing full stop. Theres no question that we need him at the top of the One Day order.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beyond doubt he still has enough credit to walk back into both sides if in a fit state.

The only trouble is working-out if and if so when he is in such a thing. It's never something we can be truly confident of.

simmy

International Regular
Get him in. He is our second best bat and we need him. It is as simple as that.

I actually really feel he had some issues as he didnt seem the type to shirk on his country.

A successful home season could do him and the side a lot of good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, he didn't "shirk" on his country, any more than Simon Jones did.

Just because something is not a physical injury does not lessen it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Can't wait for the day he returns with a century and leaves egg on a lot of faces, TBH. The man would run through a brick wall for his country, it's obvious. Get him back in the side as soon as he feels ready for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see it, TBH - out of Strauss and Cook, while Cook's undoubtedly the superior player, Strauss currently has more credit in the bank.