• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Nixon get the WK place in England's test side?

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
Nixon is the man occupying the WK position in England's ODI side, and he has really impressed me with not only his WK, but also his leadership and batting. He is a big personality and is proving he isn't a mug with the bat. Personally despite his age, I'd like to see him given a run in the TEST side.

The other guys I would suggest are Read again, but more than him James Foster of Essex. He is still young enough, and is proving at Essex with his much improved batting that he has the potential to be a WK who scores runs at International level.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd pick someone else for the Tests, I think this would be a good time to give someone a run given these *should* be some of the easier Tests England will play and they're at home. I'd retain Nixon in the ODI side tho, given the Twenty20 World Cup takes place later his year.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Theres no doubt that Nixon will give England stability in the w/k position that they need, but the age factor is definetly against him, also the fact that he hasn't played Tests before.

I'm still supporting Read, he didn't go all too badly in Australia.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
i feel Nixon should play tests for England for next 2 years. Players like Loye and Nixon, really do bring some freshness to the otherwise depleted England team.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Yes. He should at least be given a look in against the West Indies and if he is reasonbly successful, then continue on.

Read should be the test keeper. The Ashes only added to the evidence that he is the premier English glovesman. And the fact remains that he still scored well against Pakistan at home just prior.

I'm sure he's capable of getting runs against the lowly Windies, and more to the point...he should be given the chance to.

It's chalk and cheese compared to Australia away. He shouldn't solely be judged against the far and away #1 team in a 5-0 drubbing in which so many batsman failed for prolonged periods at times.

James

Cricket Web Owner
He's only 36.

Alec Stewart played until he was 40 didn't he.

As long as you're still performing, I don't see the issue with a players age personally.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was certainly anti his promotion to the international ranks, but you can't deny he's performed decently enough & has shown a bit of old-fashioned British pluck too.

I actually think Moores might quite like him as a player in his own image (limited natural ability, fitness fanatic, works incredibly hard) so I think he's a real chance.

I'd still like Pothas if he's qualified, mind. He's a relatively youthful 33. :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Let's look at the other contenders.

Chris Read - Most overrated wicketkeeper in the local group of galaxies.
Geraint Jones - ...
James Foster - Off the radar for so long the selectors have probably presumed him dead.
Nic Pothas - I don't like the ****. End of story.
Steve Davies - Too young.
Dire Prior - 'nuff said.

That leaves what? Nixon, Batty, Sutton, Mustard and a load of South Africans? Spoilt for choice aren't we? Yeah. Give it to Nixon.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
i agree he has done very well and although he would probably deserve a place i think i would rather give it to prior, pothas or davies. i would go for prior

pup11

International Coach
Read deserves a longer run in test matches before he is axed and even if he fails i won't pick Nixon for tests as he is a short-term solution due to his age.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be seriously worried if this was even being considered, TBH.

I've no issue at all with 36-year-olds playing - Stewart was still England's best batsman at such an age - but I'm none too sure about making your debut at such an age. Same thing with Pothas at 33.

If James Foster had done nothing of note recently, I'd just consider it maybe. But with Foster such an obvious option, I can't see how it makes any sense not to give him another go. Jones was given 2 chances and Read 3 (even 4), so why not give Foster a 2nd? He was no Stewart at the time and never will be, but that's true of everyone - we shouldn't expect another Stewart probably for a generation.

Davies is probably the best long-term bet but right now at 20 I'd cringe if he was chucked in there, even just against West Indies. And Foster as an interim let's-give-it-a-try seems perfect to me.

And I hope and pray that Prior doesn't get anywhere near, as it should be obvious to everyone that he's not up to it, as it should with Ian Blackwell, a man with a similar First-Class batting average.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So's James Foster, though, and he doesn't have the caveat of being a 36-year-old debutant.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can someone please explain this Chris Read fixation? I understand it coming from Devonians, but anyone else...?