• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Nixon get the WK place in England's test side?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just quickly I pressed the last game played and looked at it. Conveniently Englands 8 and 9 and WI's #8 have all played less ODIs than Read. All of them (Ramdin, Plunkett and Nixon) all have higher top scores and all have higher averages. None of those guys are the next Bradman and all have scores batting at 8 or below far in excess of 30. And as I said, in less games than Read.

BTW, I wouldnt consider Reads batting that much better than Lee if at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry, I will never, ever be convinced that Plunkett is a better batsman than Read.

As I say - take a look at each Read game individually, and tell me where he had the chance to make a Nixon\Plunkett-esque score?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sorry, I will never, ever be convinced that Plunkett is a better batsman than Read.

As I say - take a look at each Read game individually, and tell me where he had the chance to make a Nixon\Plunkett-esque score?

In his second and third last ODI innings he's played he had perfect chances..

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well it's his own fault for not having enough oppurtunity because he's not good enough to bat any higher than he does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not. He's a better batsman than Mark Ealham, for example, and any number of others he's batted below.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I find it absolutely amazing that everyone else batting 7 and 8 and sometimes even 9 have opportunities to score over 30 (even poor batsmen with less ODIs like Plunkett) but poor little Chris Read is forever blighted to be the only man ever never to have the chance.

Woe is Read. Maybe we should start a charity for him or at least raise awareness for his condition that will be terminal to his cricketing career.

The guy must either be cursed or ****. I know which I plump for

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Paul Nixon should be playing Tests and ODIs for England, because he is the best man for the job. (And he's ****ing awesome)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I find it absolutely amazing that everyone else batting 7 and 8 and sometimes even 9 have opportunities to score over 30 (even poor batsmen with less ODIs like Plunkett) but poor little Chris Read is forever blighted to be the only man ever never to have the chance.

Woe is Read. Maybe we should start a charity for him or at least raise awareness for his condition that will be terminal to his cricketing career.

The guy must either be cursed or ****. I know which I plump for
How many other guys have played so few innings?

A better analysis, rather than this rather simplistic one, would be: how many times has Read wasted the chance to score more than said total?

Then you don't need to worry about the problems of comparisons to other cases.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many other guys have played so few innings?

A better analysis, rather than this rather simplistic one, would be: how many times has Read wasted the chance to score more than said total?

Then you don't need to worry about the problems of comparisons to other cases.
Every time he's gotten out he's had an opportunity to score more. 8-)

I don't mind him playing Tests, but he shouldn't be close to the ODI side..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Given England should be sensible and play a four man attack with Flintoff at 7, I don't have a problem with Read at 8, and he looks a better keeper than Nixon.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem with Nixon getting a go for a summer either - at 8.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Every time he's gotten out he's had an opportunity to score more. 8-)
Nonsense - many of those occasions have been in the slog-overs when getting out is little or no failure.
I don't mind him playing Tests, but he shouldn't be close to the ODI side..
That's completely and totally the wrong way around.

FBU

International Debutant
Nixon is too messy with the gloves. Quite a few times he dived over the ball and it went to the boundary. He is very hyperactive and there were times when his eyes didn't follow the ball into his gloves, he was looking at the batsmen instead and a dropped catch. Then there were times the ball would glance off his thumb and the physio had to be called on to the field a couple of times. I want a keeper you don't notice behind the stumps and that keeper is Read. In ODI cricket you can get away with some mistakes but in Test cricket there is no hiding place.