• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Bradman was alive today...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I thought it was pretty well known that the pitches of the 1930s were largely flat batting tracks....I can't exactly prove anything right now though as CricInfo Statsguru is down (and even if it was up I'm not sure it could provide the right results), but I don't think one batsman, even one of the calibre of Bradman, would make such a huge difference to the averages.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Yeah well, it'd be like having an additional batsman. I don't know the exact figures used to make that list shortpitched713 linked to, but I doubt it'd be a huge difference. It's no slight on Bradman though nor do I think it's belittling his achievements or anything to say that he did have the benefit of some good batting conditions to make his runs.

shortpitched713

International Captain
It's no slight on Bradman though nor do I think it's belittling his achievements or anything to say that he did have the benefit of some good batting conditions to make his runs.
Couldn't agree more. Just wanted to counter the idea that Bradman batted on pre WWI minefields.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bradman did indeed have some good batting conditions in the 1930s.

So have just about all players who've played since 2001.