• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting/bowling and captaincy

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well maybe brainy isn't the right word. Lacking in the certain type of cricketing smarts that are neccesary for a captain. A batsman is likely to know where he most often gets out, where hes likely to get out playing particular shots, and what particular fielding positions annoy him most when hes trying to score runs. A bowler, on the other hand is usually putting in too much effort to care about such things for the most part. He might like an extra slip or something, but that doesn't take too much brainpower to think about.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I tend to think all you need for that is a decent analyst\logger. Especially in the modern age, you can discern just about anything along those lines with such people, they're a vital, vital part of the staff.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Those kind of people aren't out there with you in the field during matches, and I don't think they allow captains to carry laptops in the field yet.. :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just need a decent memory to take it out, tho.

And if there wasn't this stupid idea about no-earpieces it'd be even less of a problem. :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because it promotes the sharing of ideas - which I see as only a good thing.

I don't see anything wrong with electronic communication, myself - it just speeds things up and saves those repeated stupid stoppages for sub-fielders to come on and send a message. It'd be even better if you could do it for a batsman too - then even more time would be saved without someone coming out with drinks and gloves which go completely untouched.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because it promotes the sharing of ideas - which I see as only a good thing.

I don't see anything wrong with electronic communication, myself - it just speeds things up and saves those repeated stupid stoppages for sub-fielders to come on and send a message. It'd be even better if you could do it for a batsman too - then even more time would be saved without someone coming out with drinks and gloves which go completely untouched.
Can't say I'm a fan of them myself, once you get in the middle you should be able to concentrate on what is happening on the field without having to have information relayed constantly to you. Cricket is a basic game, and all you need are some basic plans and ideas in order to be successful as a captain IMO, no need to complicated it too much.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Batsman make better captains because, bowlers, in the field will be more concerned about bowling. Simple as.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't say I'm a fan of them myself, once you get in the middle you should be able to concentrate on what is happening on the field without having to have information relayed constantly to you. Cricket is a basic game, and all you need are some basic plans and ideas in order to be successful as a captain IMO, no need to complicated it too much.
More information doesn't automatically mean complication, though.

Perm

More information doesn't automatically mean complication, though.
Not in every case. but the majority of the time it does. If you get more information, then chances are things become less simple.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...

I'm not convinced.

If only because good information can override bad. You're as often saying "don't" as you are "do" I think.

Perm

Good information does override bad stuff, I agree. But if you get, say, ten pieces of information then things are going be be more complicated than if you went out onto the field with just two pieces of information and plans to implement both of them. If you have ten pieces of information you will be searching for the right way to use them to your advantage and thinks will become more complicated, keep it simple IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. I just can't see that happening, TBH.

If only because information doesn't come in nice discreet little packages like that. :laugh:

Anyway - only way to find-out would be to try it, really. But thanks to Talat Ali it's now banned. :mellow:

Perm

I know, it's hard to talk about information when you're trying to speak about it in certain amounts, it just doesn't work. I don't think that earpieces should be used, while you do. But like you said, we don't really know if it would "work" so to speak, unless it was tried.