• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest limited overs match ever

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, so he did... mixing up Javed and Imran for some very bizarre reason... :dontgetit

Javed did only play in said tournament as a (very brief) comeback, though.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I can sort of understand people not liking the ending to the '99 semi final. It's often better to see a win occur because the batsmen did something awesome, or because there was some excellent fielding. I thought Michael Clarke's throw from late 2005 which robbed NZ of a win one one of the great pieces of fielding.

At the same time I think people forget that Australia made some bad mistakes in that game as well - particularly Paul Riefel, who dropped two catches, one which would have given Australia the game. Lehman missed that run-out as well. This isn't to say it was a poor game, history shows us that Warne, Pollock, Klusener, Donald, Waugh and Bevan all played well in that game and made it the classic that it is. In fact it was a game of the highest calibre. So I don't think a choker's ending hurts it at all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It does if you were hoping South Africa would win.
Who any one person was supporting in any said game has no bearing on its greatness. It obviously would effect theor enjoyment of it, but we're all quite aware of who you were supporting, so you don't need to keep reminding us every time someone says that South Africa losing didn't diminish the quality of the match. Obviously, if you are supporting the side that loses any match, you'll find it's quality diminished by the end result.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never said the result detracted from the game's excitement, just that I enjoyed it less because of the result.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Yes, it has to be 1999 SF because it wasn't just a close finish, it swung this way and that throughout (btw, it was only televised live on Sky in the UK. The NZ v Pakistan SF was on BBC, and the Final was on both). And I didn't have Sky then...what a game to miss...:@
However, no one has mentioned ANOTHER great Edgbaston ODI - England v Pakistan 1987 Texaco Trophy. sadly remembered more for crowd trouble, but notice how similar the scores were to the 1999 SF:
http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspider/oneday/450.php
To think Pakistan went from 0-2 to 168-3 to 178-9, had SIX ducks..but Imran made sure they batted out thier overs and got something to defend.. While in reply England looked dooomed at 167-8 chasing 214, with De Freitas and Foster batting and only Greg Thomas to come. But "Daffy" played one of his better ODI innings - but still got out with five needed. But unlike SA 12 years later, Foster and Thomas did the job. Probably the second best ODI ever...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However, no one has mentioned ANOTHER great Edgbaston ODI - England v Pakistan 1987 Texaco Trophy. sadly remembered more for crowd trouble, but notice how similar the scores were to the 1999 SF:
http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspider/oneday/450.php
To think Pakistan went from 0-2 to 168-3 to 178-9, had SIX ducks..but Imran made sure they batted out thier overs and got something to defend.. While in reply England looked dooomed at 167-8 chasing 214, with De Freitas and Foster batting and only Greg Thomas to come. But "Daffy" played one of his better ODI innings - but still got out with five needed. But unlike SA 12 years later, Foster and Thomas did the job. Probably the second best ODI ever...
The reason no-one's mentioned it is because there's probably only about 3 or 4 people on this board who remember it! And most in those days - understandibly - treated even the best ODIs as completely second-class.

Isura

U19 Captain
Ind vs Pak 1st ODI 2004. Few things.

- First time Ind in Pak in over 10 years.
- Sehwag gets Ind off to absolute flyer. He gets out at 142-2 in 15th over!
- Pak bowlers pull it back and Dravid steadies the ship.
- Dravid gets out for 99. India post 349.
- Inzi scores brilliant hundred and Younis brings Pak to the brink of victory.
- Pak need 45 from 5 with 5 wickets in hand but bowlers peg it back and hold on by 5 runs.

Best ODI I've seen outside a WC game. But Aus/SA 99 is hard to top.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
That would be the tied match between India and WI in the 1991 series in the Australia World series.

India made 126 and Kapil got Haynes the first ball. and i think they were 80-8 and then Ambrose and Cummins played sensibly and Cummins was the last to go caught by Azhar of Sachin. Excellent match!!!!!