• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest limited overs match ever

gunner

U19 Cricketer
the 400+ odi i wouldnt rank in the top 5 at all

sure it was great and all that cos it had loads of runs but no way can it match the intensity and tension of some other great matches

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm quite astonished at the lack of support for the Johannesburg Miracle in here, TBH. IMO that beats any other game into the ground.

You wouldn't downplay a football match that finishes 4-3 because it was an uneven battle between attack and defence, so why downplay a cricket match like that because it features high scores?
Not an accurate analogy IMO. Would you downplay one that finished 8-7 because of such a thing?

I would, personally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last edited:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
the 400+ odi i wouldnt rank in the top 5 at all

sure it was great and all that cos it had loads of runs but no way can it match the intensity and tension of some other great matches
On the other hand, if you didn't watch it live and/or are not a fan of either side, no way can you judge the intensity and tension of the match.
I did and I am. It was truly mind-blowing.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only gripe I can have with that match was that it was no contest bat-and-ball wise.

To say it lacked tension would be mind-blowing. But IF South Africa had won that Edgbaston semi it'd be the favourite of mine between the two easily. Especially if there'd been a further twist - say, Gilchrist letting the ball slip through his gloves and legs, and Donald making his ground.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I still find that WC99 semi to have been a better game, even though the more recent one had the right result and that semi had the wrong one. :sleep:

But there have been many awesome ODIs. Nonetheless, I don't really think it's surprising that in this country there is far, far more memorable stuff in Test cricket. It says a fair bit - not least that there hasn't been a live ODI on terrestrial TV over here for 8 years. The last, you may be surprised to hear, was in fact that very WC99 semi-final.
Surely the 1999 final was shown too? I remember watching it, anyway.
Incedible to think that none of the subsequent games have been shown on terrestrial TV though.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
On the other hand, if you didn't watch it live and/or are not a fan of either side, no way can you judge the intensity and tension of the match.
I did and I am. It was truly mind-blowing.:)
theres biasm there,

cos south africa won and a world record total was chased you feel inclined to point to that match

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely the 1999 final was shown too? I remember watching it, anyway.
Incedible to think that none of the subsequent games have been shown on terrestrial TV though.
May have been now I think about it.

What a shame if so! Wouldn't that semi just have been a better way to finish than that letdown.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
theres biasm there,

cos south africa won and a world record total was chased you feel inclined to point to that match
Sorry, there is no way you know what I feel inclined to do. I did not say it was the best match. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, I thought our Lanka game was far more of a thriller. Might have had a bit to do with the fact I was semi-delirious watching the WIndies game, and fully fit when watching the other.

Wonder whether Jamee would rate the Lanka game better if Ravi had connected with the last ball...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Indeed, I thought our Lanka game was far more of a thriller. Might have had a bit to do with the fact I was semi-delirious watching the WIndies game, and fully fit when watching the other.

Wonder whether Jamee would rate the Lanka game better if Ravi had connected with the last ball...
The Lanka game was pretty dull for a lot of it though. It was a more exciting finish, for the simple reason that it mattered whether we won or lost. If the Windies game had been live, it would be remembered as one of the great WC matches. As it is, it was just an exciting ODI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heh, I was pretty edge-of-seat throughout at least our innings against Lanka.

Theirs was lesser of course, but there was still the novelty-value of Saj bowling semi-well. :-O