• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest limited overs match ever

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
My Dad always tells me about that match whenever a team needs 3 or 4 off the final over. Obviously it's stuck firm in his memory.
My oldest sister was having a bit of a shindig in the downstairs living room, with a few mates (we weren't allowed down there because we were too young and weren't cool) but the roars around the house with every dot ball Pring bowled were fantastic.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
If I were a New Zealander (*shudders*) my pick would be a match against Australia from the late 80s. I think it was in 1987. Anyway it was a brilliant match, Australia were completely out of it and then Dean Jones came on with his masterful invention of strokes and gave one of the ten best ODI innings ever. He gets run out with Australia needing about 10 runs left, so it's left to the tail-enders to do the work. Australia get into a position in the final over where they need less than a run a ball, all they need to do is get easy singles.

Mike Whitney comes to the crease and just decides to flay at the ball, taking a ridiculously stupid swing, the ball goes up and he's out. Australia lose by one. It was pretty much the equivelant of the 2nd Ashes Test of 2005 in ODI terms because it nearly had the greatest comeback you'd ever seen... but ends with heartbreak.

Definitely one for NZ to enjoy and whoever you are, you could appreciate the genius of Dean Jones - the forgotten ODI great.

There we go: http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1987-88/OD_TOURNEYS/WSC/NZ_AUS_WSC_ODI2_03JAN1988.html

Definitive Dean Jones
Richard Hadlee (not renound for being a great one-day player) also had a terrific game.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Can't really remember, but I'll describe it anyway.

Tri series in AUstralia in 98-99 I think: Aus, RSA and NZ.

It was a NZ v RSA game up at the Gabba, I think SA scored around 300 in the first innings, NZ crumbled to be 5 down for not many and inc ome Chris Cairns and Adam Parore, they bring it back to an even contest.

There was a close run out call against Cairns - imagine sliding your bat in and when the bails get dislodged, the corner of the toe of your bat is behind the line, but, the majority is over, but not grounded - that decision took like 10 minutes to make.

If I remember correctly, 2 runs off the last ball, D(i)on Nash scoops one in the air and Klusener catches it.

I guess that's the thing about ODIs, theres too many too remember.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Can't really remember, but I'll describe it anyway.

Tri series in AUstralia in 98-99 I think: Aus, RSA and NZ.

It was a NZ v RSA game up at the Gabba, I think SA scored around 300 in the first innings, NZ crumbled to be 5 down for not many and inc ome Chris Cairns and Adam Parore, they bring it back to an even contest.

There was a close run out call against Cairns - imagine sliding your bat in and when the bails get dislodged, the corner of the toe of your bat is behind the line, but, the majority is over, but not grounded - that decision took like 10 minutes to make.

If I remember correctly, 2 runs off the last ball, D(i)on Nash scoops one in the air and Klusener catches it.

I guess that's the thing about ODIs, theres too many too remember.
I'd say the NZ vs RSA match 3 years later would rank higher.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:-O .Where did you hear this tripe? Hadlee was a great ODI player.
I'm pretty sure he meant he was more known as a Test player than ODI player even though he was a fine performer in both forms of the game.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I'd say the NZ vs RSA match 3 years later would rank higher.
I can't seem to recall that one, but the one I mentioned it certainly my favourite, even moer so than the 99 WC semi.

If you don't mind, could you post the scorecard up, it may refresh my memory.

Fiery

Banned
I'm pretty sure he meant he was more known as a Test player than ODI player even though he was a fine performer in both forms of the game.
Well you're always gonna be slightly better at one form than the other...he was still great in both forms

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah that was a great Bevan innings. My favourite Bevan innings was against New Zealand in 2002 I think? Anyway Australia were something like 6-96 and Bevan batted with Lee and Hogg and steered Australia home. Mindblowing stuff considering how many twos he found here and there, and being able to maintain most of the strike.
I think it was Bichel, not Hogg.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
one of the greatest matches has to be india vs pakistan in sharjah 86
miandad hitting a last ball 6 to win it and end up on 116*

and also you got to include all the tension between the countres in them days and the feeling of failure against the great enemy

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ind vs Pak, 04 @ Karachi
Aus vs SA, 02 @ Porth Elizabeth
Aus vs Pak, 98, Karachi
Ind vs Eng, 02, Lord's

are some other super ODI clashes that can surely rival rival the 99 semi-final & the Jo'Burg ODI IMO.