• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, an awful lot of discussion in various threads is about England's Test side for the Windies series next month. Add that to the fact that the series is less than a month away, and I think it's time this thread got going, the board is in danger of being swamped with possible England XIs otherwise.

The schedule:

Somerset v West Indians - Taunton 12-14 May

1st Test - Lord's 17-21 May
2nd Test - Leeds 25-29 May
3rd Test - Manchester 7-11 June
4th Test - Chester-le-Street 15-19 June

England A v West Indians - Worcester 21 June
Derbyshire v West Indians - Derby 24 June
PCA Masters XI v West Indians - Arundel 26 June

1st T20I - Kennington Oval 28 June
2nd T20I - Kennington Oval 28 June

1st ODI - Lord's 1 July
2nd ODI - Birmingham 4 July
3rd ODI - Nottingham 7 July

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good thinkin.

Can't think of much to say that hasn't been said already this second, mind...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing the schedulers can be applauded about is the fact that there are only 3 ODI's. There only needs to be one Twenty20 and either 3 or 5 (preferrably 3) Test matches. Be interesting to see what squad the West Indies will go with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I didn't expect us to lose a Test to Lanka this time last year either...

But no, just because lightning has struck once doesn't mean to say you expect it to do so again.

Honestly couldn't care less about the T2I, you may (not) be surprised to hear, but the ODI series should be a nice basement battle.

Actually, I can think of something else to say - Graeme Smith to have a bumper series.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My Windies Test Squad would be...

Ramnaresh Sarwan (c)
Shiv Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Daren Ganga
Devon Smith
Marlon Samuels
Runako Morton
Dwayne Bravo
Denesh Ramdin
Dave Mohammed
Jerome Taylor
Corey Collymore
Fidel Edwards
Daren Powell
Jermaine Lawson/Pedro Collins

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
The only thing the schedulers can be applauded about is the fact that there are only 3 ODI's. There only needs to be one Twenty20 and either 3 or 5 (preferrably 3) Test matches. Be interesting to see what squad the West Indies will go with.
Yes but they have made up for that by having SEVEN ODIs v India :@ (because India didn't want to play 20-20?) As for the series we should be favourites to give Moores a good honeymoon - especially early season (WI flopped horribly in 2004 in the part of the season touring teams prefer) - and after the winter's nightmare there should be NO complacency...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't understand why they've gone 3-7 with the ODIs, not at all.

Makes no sense.

Mind, it made no sense to play 3 ODIs only per summer, and they did that almost every year until 1998...

Perm

Yes but they have made up for that by having SEVEN ODIs v India :@ (because India didn't want to play 20-20?) As for the series we should be favourites to give Moores a good honeymoon - especially early season (WI flopped horribly in 2004 in the part of the season touring teams prefer) - and after the winter's nightmare there should be NO complacency...
Now why on earth would they schedule 7 against India? They will probably end up going down 7-0, not to mention the fact that by the time the 5th one rolls around everyone will be bored.

Perm

Ramnaresh Sarwan (c)
Shiv Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Daren Ganga
Devon Smith
Marlon Samuels
Runako Morton
Dwayne Bravo
Denesh Ramdin
Dave Mohammed
Jerome Taylor
Corey Collymore
Fidel Edwards
Daren Powell
I'll be hoping that they don't bring Fidel Edwards, and also hoping that the Tadpole plays all 4 Test's.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain

Ramnaresh Sarwan (c)
Shiv Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Daren Ganga
Devon Smith
Marlon Samuels
Runako Morton
Dwayne Bravo
Denesh Ramdin
Dave Mohammed
Jerome Taylor
Corey Collymore
Fidel Edwards
Daren Powell
Not much new there but I'll think the unthinkable. Might WI play beter without Lara? Think back to SA at home in 2005. The best performance was when Lara wasn't there. Others (Sarwan? Gayle? Samuels?) have to take responsibility now rather than hiding behind Lara. Could be the making (or breaking) of them...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not much new there but I'll think the unthinkable. Might WI play beter without Lara? Think back to SA at home in 2005. The best performance was when Lara wasn't there. Others (Sarwan? Gayle? Samuels?) have to take responsibility now rather than hiding behind Lara. Could be the making (or breaking) of them...
1 Test doesn't prove anything IMO. It was simply that South Africa woefully underperformed in said game.

Lara started his career when Richards, Dujon and Marshall had just left. He was always going to suffer by comparison.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Haha, I didn't expect us to lose a Test to Lanka this time last year either...

But no, just because lightning has struck once doesn't mean to say you expect it to do so again.

Honestly couldn't care less about the T2I, you may (not) be surprised to hear, but the ODI series should be a nice basement battle.

Actually, I can think of something else to say - Graeme Smith to have a bumper series.
Neither did I, but SL did have Muali so I did think if they could get us in the fourth innings chasing 200+ they had a chance (which is what happened). No Murali lurking in the oppo this year though. And about Lara it was just a theory - and it is true that some of the other batsmen have to take responsibility now if they are to have a chance. Might happen...might not. Didn't happen with the bowlers after Ambrose/Walsh went but these batsmen have the talent but not temprement or consistency.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
4 Tests is fine by me, as there is a fair chance of a draw usually. Especially in England, in May, global warming or not.

3 ODIs is good though