• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
England made it difficult for ourselves and i think we were lucky in a way that the batsman who stayed in was Shiv. What I mean is although he played heroically he scored only 25 runs in the day. That's how I knew we'd won once we got Sammy out because Shiv was unable to do what say Gilchrist or KP could do with the tail and score quickly to put the pressure on us. Shiv had to score most of the runs himself once they were down to the last three and you felt it would take him too long. Still WI have their pride back thanks mainly to him and Sammy and have exposed problems for England. At least Hoggy was bowling in the nets but who goes if he is fit? I say Plunkett but I bet we will drop Sidebottom. Strauss needs a score and the long term worry is we couldn't dismiss today the one world class batsman WI have. Next month we have a team of them to deal with and the evidence was not encouraging. PS - well done to Lancs for the pitch. IMO good cricket (Cook, Monty, Shiv) got rewarded and bad cricket (Harmison, Plunkett, the WI tail's first inings batting) got punished. Everybody got a fair chance and the match lasted five days and got a result -as it should be.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England made it difficult for ourselves and i think we were lucky in a way that the batsman who stayed in was Shiv. What I mean is although he played heroically he scored only 25 runs in the day. That's how I knew we'd won once we got Sammy out because Shiv was unable to do what say Gilchrist or KP could do with the tail and score quickly to put the pressure on us. Shiv had to score most of the runs himself once they were down to the last three and you felt it would take him too long. Still WI have their pride back thanks mainly to him and Sammy and have exposed problems for England. At least Hoggy was bowling in the nets but who goes if he is fit? I say Plunkett but I bet we will drop Sidebottom. Strauss needs a score and the long term worry is we couldn't dismiss today the one world class batsman WI have. Next month we have a team of them to deal with and the evidence was not encouraging. PS - well done to Lancs for the pitch. IMO good cricket (Cook, Monty, Shiv) got rewarded and bad cricket (Harmison, Plunkett, the WI tail's first inings batting) got punished. Everybody got a fair chance and the match lasted five days and got a result -as it should be.
Good summary.
I'd be astonished if they risked Hoggard on Friday, especially in a dead rubber. As for the Indian series, there's another five and a half weeks to go, so maybe Fred will be fit, and certainly Anderson & Broad should have some more games behind them. Oh, and Hoggard should be OK as well, of course.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Plunkett has been left out of the twelve for Chester-le-Street.

There is a god.

Hoggy called up, I'm not sure why they're risking him for this, really shows there's not many other options, tbh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

There is a god.

Hoggy called up, I'm not sure why they're risking him for this, really shows there's not many other options, tbh.
I'm surprised too. I guess that means Harmison will be batting at 8 then :unsure:

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain

There is a god.

Or that he's fit enough to play...

That was quick I can't find the announcement on BBC or Cricinfo.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sidebottom looking ineffective, albeit economical.
I'm sorry, but this is rubbish. Sidebottom was probably the pick of our bowlers when you consider the condition of the pitch. Although Panesar bowled nicely and Harmison showed occasional glimpses of his former menace, not only was Sidebottom consistently accurate, but also probing and threatening in most of his spells. I have to say it was one of the best unrewarded bowling spells i've seen in a long time, as he consistently found swing, seam movement and bounce, and went past the outside edge countless times.

I was initially very surprised when Sidebottom was called up, but i think based on his efforts at Headingley when conditions favoured him, and here where they didn't, he has warranted his selection now and for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see him kept in and around the side throughout the entire summer, and I think he has an important role to play especially in the one dayers.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Hmmm, I doubt ineffective is the word. Put the ball in the right areas, got it to swing away, and into the batsmen, and narrowly missed the edge on a few occasions

Full credit to the West Indies, and Chanderpaul in particular. Really rescued a one sided game and turned it into a match

I wonder if people may start saying thta England are dependent on Panesar.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Once Ramdin went early and then Sammy got out it was always going to be a likely England win. Good fight though. If WI had scored more in the first innings and England had scored similar to what they did in the second innings it would have been a much closer match.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sorry, but this is rubbish. Sidebottom was probably the pick of our bowlers when you consider the condition of the pitch. Although Panesar bowled nicely and Harmison showed occasional glimpses of his former menace, not only was Sidebottom consistently accurate, but also probing and threatening in most of his spells. I have to say it was one of the best unrewarded bowling spells i've seen in a long time, as he consistently found swing, seam movement and bounce, and went past the outside edge countless times.

I was initially very surprised when Sidebottom was called up, but i think based on his efforts at Headingley when conditions favoured him, and here where they didn't, he has warranted his selection now and for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see him kept in and around the side throughout the entire summer, and I think he has an important role to play especially in the one dayers.

I wouldn't say Panesar bowled nicely, he was wasteful given the conditions were stacked in his favour and he kept on bowling flat, fast and short. He got 2-3 wickets he didn't deserve in each innings.

I agree Sidebottom bowled well. His first 8 overs in the first innings were dross but he got it right after that.

I also think Anderson moving ahead of Plunkett in the pecking order is a farce. Anderson is even more expensive, hasn't produced anything in County Cricket and is a worse batsman.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I'd certainly keep him at Durham. For the Indian tests, depends if Fred is fit and how many bowlers we play.

As for your first bit, I reckon you're overstating things. He had good spells to start WI's fist innings collapse and at one stage (IIRC with the 2nd new ball) yesterday. Other than that, he was respectable, certainly much better than what we've seen from GBH & Plunkett for most of the summer, but not espcially threatening on a wicket that was supposed to be offering more than a bit. I was probably being a bit unfair previously, but lets not get carried away mate. 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sammy's 7/66 is the 13th equal best-ever on debut. Note: (Hirwani's 16 wickets, best ever match figures on debut):

AE Trott 8-43 v England Adelaide 1894/95
RAL Massie 8-53 v England Lord's 1972
ND Hirwani 8-61 v West Indies 1st Innings Chennai 1987/88
L Klusener 8-64 v India Kolkata 1996/97
ND Hirwani 8-75 v West Indies 2nd Innings Chennai 1987/88
AL Valentine 8-104 v England Manchester 1950
DG Cork 7-43 v West Indies Lord's 1995
JK Lever 7-46 v India Delhi 1976/77
AV Bedser 7-49 v India Lord's 1946
TK Kendall 7-55 v England Melbourne 1876/77
James Langridge 7-56 v West Indies Manchester 1933
AE Hall 7-63 v England Cape Town 1922/23
Mohammad Zahid 7-66 v New Zealand Rawalpindi 1996/97
I'm 99% sure Massie took 8 wickets in both innings of his debut, so presumably both efforts should be in there above Sammy.

Anyway, fair effort from the West Indians. Couldn't help but think how much of a difference one bloke coulda made tho.