Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Moores appointed new England coach

Moores appointed new England coach

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engla...ry/291620.html
    I thought he would be the caretaker..but to give him it permanetly shows confidence. I'm dissapointed (wanted Moody) and I feel he's the safe "in house" choice" but we must give him a chance..Mind you his succsess with Sussex was winning the 2003 CC and I imagine a big part of his job is to improve our awful ODI record but time will tell...
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Cricket Spectator

Peter Moores appointed new England coach

Wow.....I'm surprised that England appointed a permanent replacement so quickly but I guess the ECB are a lot more proactive than the BCCI.

Was this a surprise to you guys given the speculation around Moody potentially linking up with England ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...nd/6573813.stm

I think the mods need to do a bit of merging...
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Aping all things Australian again...

Dunno, I really don't - I don't like an Englishman as national coach, I much prefer a foreigner, but there seems little doubt that Moores - like Nielsen - is a very, very fine coach. And being an insider DOES undoubtedly have it's advantages.

Good luck to the both of them, I hope both enjoy facing-off not merely in 2009 but 2013 too, and maybe 2017.

(Although I actually hope both dates are moved in order to unsynchronise The Ashes and World Cups)
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Not much of a surprise really. We have a summer of international cricket starting in 4 weeks' time, and Moody's not available until after then, afaics. tbh I don't know much about him beyond his track record with Sussex. Can't say I'm very excited about his appointment, but it would be unfair to write him off at this stage. I'd have to say that the comparisons with Steve McLaren made elsewhere are unfair given their respective domestic records.

McLaren isn't much, he's an excellent assistant-coach, that's about it.

Moores has proven himself a very fine top-man. Just as Nielsen did. While also doing a fine job as a number-two.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Aping all things Australian again...

Dunno, I really don't - I don't like an Englishman as national coach, I much prefer a foreigner, but there seems little doubt that Moores - like Nielsen - is a very, very fine coach. And being an insider DOES undoubtedly have it's advantages.

Good luck to the both of them, I hope both enjoy facing-off not merely in 2009 but 2013 too, and maybe 2017.

(Although I actually hope both dates are moved in order to unsynchronise The Ashes and World Cups)
    Don't think its anything to do with Australia - I think he's been groomed for this job by the ECB since he went to the Academy. One doubt though - as I wrote in my thread announcing the news (great minds think alike ) his main succsess in CC was 2003 Championship - and a key part of his job must be to improve our dreadful ODI record. I do agree about the juxtaposiation of the away Ashes and the WC though - someone at the ECB should start working on that and I wonder if the Schofield report will mention it ..That reminds me I thought the ECB were going to wait to that report is published before doing anything. What a difference a day makes...

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quite a low key appointment, considering some of the names mooted for the post, but I think its a good move. Internal appointments naturally come with their advantages, he knows the ECB structure, is aware of the young talent and the fringe players that have been in and around the academy etc.

I have only heard good things about Peter Moores for the last few years, lets hope that continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Don't think its anything to do with Australia - I think he's been groomed for this job by the ECB since he went to the Academy. One doubt though - as I wrote in my thread announcing the news (great minds think alike ) his main succsess in CC was 2003 Championship - and a key part of his job must be to improve our dreadful ODI record. I do agree about the juxtaposiation of the away Ashes and the WC though - someone at the ECB should start working on that and I wonder if the Schofield report will mention it ..That reminds me I thought the ECB were going to wait to that report is published before doing anything. What a difference a day makes...
    I wasn't thinking of the aping Australia being anything today - more the last 2 years. As Nielsen was being groomed by CA, Moores was being groomed by The ECB. I think it was an idea the latter copied, I really do - as were so many of the advantages enjoyed by Duncan Fletcher.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Good luck to him, I was surprised to see that Fletcher had been replaced so quickly. They obviously didn't want to cause too much drama.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Vice-Captain pinchy81's Avatar
    Moores is a gun hope he'll bring us the World Cup soon
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Pinchy81- McPinch iz a gun4lyf.
    "Straight-Edge means I'm better than you!"

Us? Thought you were an Aussie?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Mods may want to merge with this thread.

Craigos beat ya to it.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Mods may want to merge with this thread.
    Done!
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information