• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Moores appointed new England coach

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Moores appointed new England coach

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/291620.html
I thought he would be the caretaker..but to give him it permanetly shows confidence. I'm dissapointed (wanted Moody) and I feel he's the safe "in house" choice" but we must give him a chance..Mind you his succsess with Sussex was winning the 2003 CC and I imagine a big part of his job is to improve our awful ODI record but time will tell...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aping all things Australian again...

Dunno, I really don't - I don't like an Englishman as national coach, I much prefer a foreigner, but there seems little doubt that Moores - like Nielsen - is a very, very fine coach. And being an insider DOES undoubtedly have it's advantages.

Good luck to the both of them, I hope both enjoy facing-off not merely in 2009 but 2013 too, and maybe 2017.

(Although I actually hope both dates are moved in order to unsynchronise The Ashes and World Cups)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not much of a surprise really. We have a summer of international cricket starting in 4 weeks' time, and Moody's not available until after then, afaics. tbh I don't know much about him beyond his track record with Sussex. Can't say I'm very excited about his appointment, but it would be unfair to write him off at this stage. I'd have to say that the comparisons with Steve McLaren made elsewhere are unfair given their respective domestic records.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
McLaren isn't much, he's an excellent assistant-coach, that's about it.

Moores has proven himself a very fine top-man. Just as Nielsen did. While also doing a fine job as a number-two.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Aping all things Australian again...

Dunno, I really don't - I don't like an Englishman as national coach, I much prefer a foreigner, but there seems little doubt that Moores - like Nielsen - is a very, very fine coach. And being an insider DOES undoubtedly have it's advantages.

Good luck to the both of them, I hope both enjoy facing-off not merely in 2009 but 2013 too, and maybe 2017.

(Although I actually hope both dates are moved in order to unsynchronise The Ashes and World Cups)
Don't think its anything to do with Australia - I think he's been groomed for this job by the ECB since he went to the Academy. One doubt though - as I wrote in my thread announcing the news (great minds think alike:laugh: ) his main succsess in CC was 2003 Championship - and a key part of his job must be to improve our dreadful ODI record. I do agree about the juxtaposiation of the away Ashes and the WC though - someone at the ECB should start working on that and I wonder if the Schofield report will mention it ..That reminds me I thought the ECB were going to wait to that report is published before doing anything. What a difference a day makes...

Woodster

International Captain
Quite a low key appointment, considering some of the names mooted for the post, but I think its a good move. Internal appointments naturally come with their advantages, he knows the ECB structure, is aware of the young talent and the fringe players that have been in and around the academy etc.

I have only heard good things about Peter Moores for the last few years, lets hope that continues.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think its anything to do with Australia - I think he's been groomed for this job by the ECB since he went to the Academy. One doubt though - as I wrote in my thread announcing the news (great minds think alike:laugh: ) his main succsess in CC was 2003 Championship - and a key part of his job must be to improve our dreadful ODI record. I do agree about the juxtaposiation of the away Ashes and the WC though - someone at the ECB should start working on that and I wonder if the Schofield report will mention it ..That reminds me I thought the ECB were going to wait to that report is published before doing anything. What a difference a day makes...
I wasn't thinking of the aping Australia being anything today - more the last 2 years. As Nielsen was being groomed by CA, Moores was being groomed by The ECB. I think it was an idea the latter copied, I really do - as were so many of the advantages enjoyed by Duncan Fletcher.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good luck to him, I was surprised to see that Fletcher had been replaced so quickly. They obviously didn't want to cause too much drama.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
Living 10mins from Sussex CCC, being a fan, and previously playing in age groups up till present. I know Peter very well, and have also played in a few games with him. He is a smashing bloke and will make some very abstract selections but only for players who warrant it. Also wouldn't be surprised if a few Sussex players get more of a chance lol! But he is a great coach and a great bloke! Will do very well!