• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Brian Lara Tribute Thread****

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You always do after the first game of the season... or at least everyone I know does.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
another true legend of the game goes...he probably had a year or two of good performances left in him for tests but the apparent failure as a captain was what probably decided it in the end...ponting will probably cross his record of highest number of runs but he and tendulkar are just head and shoulders above anyone else in their era...arguably the best batsman the west indies has ever produced, arguably in the list of top 10 batsmen of all-time...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That is ridiculous...however, the guard of honor did not last more than 30 seconds...I don't see how that would account for the time lost.

Obviously, certain exceptions have to be made..but one of my pet peeves is teams not getting on with overs and being slower than they need to be, so I definitely want enforcement there. With that said, when someone is retiring, a little bit of leeway has to be in order otherwise ICC has only itself to blame for looking like a bunch of idiots.

pasag

RTDAS
Tbf, they were bowling pretty slowly anyways iirc and they probably would have got fined regardless. Heaps of sides have been fined throughout the tournament so it's nothing special. And the guard of honour etc really didn't take any time at all. (Seems like abit of crappy journalism to me tbh).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor show from the ICC fining Lara and the other players due to slow over rates which were caused by guards of honour for Lara during the game.

Lara learns price of praise
Crappy journalism indeed, the guard of honour was only a brief thing. They were bowling pretty slowly, Lara took an age to set his fields near the end of the game. Understandable, but the journalist who put the "price of praise" spin on it must be a moron.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Crappy journalism indeed, the guard of honour was only a brief thing. They were bowling pretty slowly, Lara took an age to set his fields near the end of the game. Understandable, but the journalist who put the "price of praise" spin on it must be a moron.
Fair enough. I didn't watch the game myself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
another true legend of the game goes...he probably had a year or two of good performances left in him for tests but the apparent failure as a captain was what probably decided it in the end...ponting will probably cross his record of highest number of runs but he and tendulkar are just head and shoulders above anyone else in their era...
Above Ponting, yes, head-and-shoulders above Stephen Waugh, no.

Waugh was only a tiny rung, if even that, below the 2 of them IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, but this isn't the time to discuss it, is it? I would really if such arguments take place at other threads and esp. at other times. This is Lara's thread and Lara's moment. Let us keep it to him, shall we?

IT just is not right to talk about Murali Vs Warne in a Warne tribute thread and a Lara V Waugh in a Lara tribute thread, esp. not when it has not even been a week since he retired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, sorry to risk derailing ya thread, hbh... :)

TBH, I might add that I think all tributes which are going to flow have now done so.

Sheezy

Cricket Spectator
Great tribute, the reason i signed up for this website. Watching the WI just wont b the same now, one of the only players, along with warney who u just couldnt keep yor eyes off watchin them, just not knowing wat wil happen next. hav had the priviledge of meeting him twice, once ins 1995 when i was 5 years old is south africa, and just last year when the windies toured NZ, bowled to im in the nets, unforgetable experience. been you tubing it alot now. BCL thanks alot for the memories, no one ever flirted with danger as much as you, and for that i thank you.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
In the top 3 batsmen of all time for me. Most Test runs, highest FC and Test scores and most runs in a Test over. Averaging over 50 in Tests and over 40 in ODIs. If it wasn'f or a silly run out his first century would have been a triple. Absoultely class innings throughout his career. Entertaining batsman with magnificent strokeplay and wonderful style. Had the ability to dominate any team in the world no matter the class of the opposition. In a word, brilliant. I was never a Lara fanatic but the man was a great . You have to give credit where it's due.