• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News- Brian Charles Lara Retires

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Just on Sky Sports,
He's retired from all forms of cricket
Sad End To Brilliant Career

not clear wether he will play vs england but i was hoping for him to continue his test career and put the run record out of tendulkar and pontings reach

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've got SSN on now. No mention of it that I can see.

EDIT: Tell a lie. Just been on. Says the game v us will be his last game. Shocker :(

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
it was on sky sports 1
at the end of the live match coverage
charles colville said it
I’m at the gym (so I have no TV at hand) but you sure Charlie did not say last ODI, meaning the game against England for Lara has been adamant that he will tour England this summer?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
his words were

"we are receiving news from the west indies camp that brian charles lara has effectively retired from all forms of cricket, goodbye"

you would expect him to elaborate on it more but for some reason thats not important enough and they just ended the coverage

prakesh

Banned
Damn, this just means that W.I. will get even more of a hammering in England :@

Now there's no possibility of even a drawn test.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
****, hopefully Lara goes out on a high but I would have loved to see him play test cricket for a few more years considering his still a class above the rest of the West Indian top order. Be emotional scenes come the weekend, best cricketer I’ve ever seen play.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
****, hopefully Lara goes out on a high but I would have loved to see him play test cricket for a few more years considering his still a class above the rest of the West Indian top order. Be emotional scenes come the weekend, best cricketer I’ve ever seen play.
Best batsman, or best cricketer? Cause that's quite a claim with the cricketers in the 90s (unless you didn't watch cricket then). McGrath, Warne, Murali, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim, Waqar.....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just a great, great player - what a year - Warne, McGratrh & Lara gone almost at once.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats a terrible shame i was really hoping that i could see him again against England in the summer. Brilliant player but when i saw him live he let me down twice scoring 8 and 4.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Best batsman, or best cricketer? Cause that's quite a claim with the cricketers in the 90s (unless you didn't watch cricket then). McGrath, Warne, Murali, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim, Waqar.....
It is not a claim it is an opinion and by aesthetics, for me he was the best cricketer I have seen play LIVE. Nothing outrageous with that, although, having Courtney Walsh in such an argument probably is. Longevity dictates Walsh's 'greatness' not outstanding ability.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It is not a claim it is an opinion and by aesthetics, for me he was the best cricketer I have seen play LIVE. Nothing outrageous with that, although, having Courtney Walsh in such an argument probably is. Longevity dictates Walsh's 'greatness' not outstanding ability.
Of course its an opinion...I was just surprised you had it, that's all. Even in SA, Alan Donald was quite a cricket player.

But then, I'm biased against batsmen.