• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking News- Brian Charles Lara Retires

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i think he should have continued with test cricket but i bet the rumors of him not being picked for the endland tour had to do something with it...not the best way to go for the best and entertaining batsmen of all time. Wouldn't it be great though if he got a 100 against england in his last match...

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'll be honest, when he retired from one-day cricket I wasn't too devastated. But when I heard he was retiring from all international cricket, I started to feel sad.

In my opinion his two best moments were:

1. Carrying West Indies against Australia in 1999
Walsh and Ambrose had a good series, but I don't think it's unfair to say Lara carried the team. He carried them against the best side against the world, against McGrath bowling at his best. He was unplayable. He was completely irresistable on the field because there was nothing stopping from memorable innings after memorable innings.

2. Nullifying Murali in Sri Lanka
Murali's as about as unplayable as they come on those Sri Lankan wickets - he's a true great. For me, this was the ultimate example of how to play spin. Lara just making it impossible for Murali with his footwork. There really was nothing he could do, Lara rendered him helpless. In typical Lara fashion, only Lara could go out when he tried something reckless. But the fact that he completely mastered Murali in 2001 says something tremendous because Murali, IMO, is one of the five best bowlers ever (and a candidate for the best ever). Murali himself hasn't just said Lara was the best he ever faced, he's said Lara was BY FAR the best he ever faced. You'd never hear a player be so conclusive about greatness very often, but Murali didn't mix words.

I think the Lara we saw in those two series was as good as any batsman in history and that includes Bradman. Of course that's only two series, but he averaged in the 100s in those series and absolutely mastered his opposition. When I think of Lara I think of the word "irresistable" because at his best there was nothing you could do to resist his greatness. While I don't think he's the second best batsman ever, and have somewhat chastised him for having form lapses, I do feel it was a privelidge to have seen him play.

adharcric

International Coach
Sad, I only became interested in cricket after sitting down and watching England's last tour of the Caribbean. I never really got to see him in his 'greatness', well other than the 400 obviously. However being new to cricket then I couldn't really appreciate what I was seeing tbh. I would have like to have watched him bat in the next series.
Truly share these sentiments. Really, my obsession with cricket only took off in 2003 - by then, Lara and Tendulkar were past their prime. It's a pity that I never had the opportunity to witness and appreciate the knocks that defined the legend of these two class acts. Warne, McGrath, Inzy, Lara ... what next? Sachin? :(

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, there are sad days and there are sadder days but this has been one of the worst ever for me as a cricket fan, only second to the atrocious murder of Woolmer. It hurts more because the man can still match the best in the world as a batsman and he genuinely wanted Windies to do well. That was easy to say, watching him in practice sessions, watching his long talks with the likes of Gayle and Sarwan and his discussions (often animated) with Lloyd and King. He genuinely wanted Windies to do well. As a captain, quite often his ideas were rather whacky and they worked like 40% of the time but the rest of the time they came back to bite him. But he was a genuine sport and he was never averse to taking a gamble when a game was on the line and I am not sure if we will find another one with the same attitude leading any cricket side anytime soon.

As he himself said, he was an entertainer to the core who performed better when faced with tougher odds. I am almost sure that politics has been at play here (and pray tell me why has Chanderpaul been as woeful as he has been in this WC) but I am sure that the Windies would have needed him in their test side for a couple of more seasons, at least. The men who run the game in the CAribbean are the worst (and yes, they are worse than Indian and Pakistani admins) and this is just another example of that. I don't see if Lara had any bad equations with any of his team mates. HIs beef always seemed to be against the admins or selectors. But seriously, how difficult would it have been for one of the senior admins to have taken Lara out alone and told him that they are gonna make Sarwan captain and that Lara will continue to be a part of the test side if he can ensure full co-operation to Sarwan and help him take Windies team to the next level...

Anyways, time to say good-bye and I guess let's hope that Windies can turn the corner, at least now, even though it has come at a real price, personally speaking.

Craig

World Traveller
Series in WI in 1999 versus Australia was the highlight for mine. Scores of 213, 153* and 100 (in consecutive Test matches)

You champion
Yep, especially when he was give just two Tests to prove he deserved the captaincy (and his spot in the team?) after the horrors of their South African tour.

The 213 was a class act, but I loved his 153*, the massive collapse, the rear guard action, the fightback from Australia to leave him with Courtney Walsh at the other end and somehow blocked out a yorker (IIRC it was Jason Gillespie) and then for Lara to cream the ball to boundary and have everybody (unless you happened to be Australian at the ground) jumping up and down in delight.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Great Player, fitting really he will bow out against England considering all his records had something to do with England

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Did he retire to save them dropping him? As I wrote elsewhere there was a story in the Sunday Telegraph saying he wouldn't be picked to tour England. If that was true I'm glad he took the decison out of their hands. This period reminds me of 1991-92 when Gower, Beefy, Viv, the late great Malcolm Marshall and Gordon Greenidge all went at about the asme time and you wondered then (as you do with Warne, Mcgrath and Lara ) who will replace them?

prakesh

Banned
Did he retire to save them dropping him? As I wrote elsewhere there was a story in the Sunday Telegraph saying he wouldn't be picked to tour England.?
:blink: Well that selectorial decision would make perfect sense.

Had the fierce competition for places proved too much, what with Lendl Simmons snapping at his heels so emphatically?

James

Cricket Web Owner
oh man this F_cking sucks, sorry.

its Brian Lara who made me fell in love with cricket back in 1993, so many beautiful memories of watching him. Whenever he came to the crease everybody in my family even my mom who doesn't watch cricket much would gather in the TV room and watch his innings, so many great memories. I Guess All Good things in life come to an end.
The filter is there for a very good reason.

Don't avoid it!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As I mentioned earlier, I don't care much about batsmen (except Inzy perhaps), but he was amazing. Cricket will be poorer for it tbh.

simmy

International Regular
Simply the best batsman I have ever seen.

He and Ambrose made me fall in love with game. I actually remember crying when I was 10ish and the Eng v Windies test series ended.