• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how has the media effected cricket in terms of spectators and participation?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For a start, that is an open question and not a hypothesis. I think the media has encouraged spectators in recent times, especially when they are hyping up games. The Chappell Hadlee series had a number of radio ad gimmicks that included "The Black Caps will win every game on the last ball with a boundary", "Jacob Oram will hit 7 sixes in an over" and "Brendon McCullum will break the record for the fastest fifty, twice". These are obviously attempts to hype up games and in a way they worked, I found my little brothers to be getting very excited about the cricket and quoting these ads quite frequently.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
For a start, that is an open question and not a hypothesis. I think the media has encouraged spectators in recent times, especially when they are hyping up games. The Chappell Hadlee series had a number of radio ad gimmicks that included "The Black Caps will win every game on the last ball with a boundary", "Jacob Oram will hit 7 sixes in an over" and "Brendon McCullum will break the record for the fastest fifty, twice". These are obviously attempts to hype up games and in a way they worked, I found my little brothers to be getting very excited about the cricket and quoting these ads quite frequently.
For such ridiculous statements, they weren't that far out!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Warrington, hey?

The media, especially the written press, obviously pretty much decides whether a sport is successful or not. With no vehicle for people who like the game to follow it, they'll have little opportunity to show any interest and the sport will die on it's arse. The hype created by the media draws people in. See the 2005 Ashes. During/immediately following Edgbaston, cricket started hitting the frontpages of the national newspapers. Consequently, Channel 4's viewing audience at Old Trafford peaked at 7.7 million, the highest the channel had got for it's coverage of the sport. The next test, it peaked at 8.4 million. That would not have happened had the newspapers given the series rugby league-esque coverage.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Weren't those ads only played after the series? And they were clearly extracting the urine, from what I remember.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Weren't those ads only played after the series? And they were clearly extracting the urine, from what I remember.
No doubt they were taking the piss, but they weren't too far off in terms of excitement. They did actually play the ads before and during the series IIRC, quite ironic considering Michael Mason hit a 4 off the last ball of the game to beat Sri Lanka earlier.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
As for the main question, the media has affected cricket where I live.

Because I'm now a member of the media, I hardly get a game in these days. :D