• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flawed legacy of Lara's mortal genius

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Sarwan was dropped for one match due to his poor form over the past few months. Even he himself admitted that sitting out for one test match did him a lot of good. Some of the criticism is spot on, tbh. But a bit too harsh for the most part.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Lara reminds me of David Gower - great player, not a great captain. The Windies turned to him so often because no one else got succsess out of the team. On another topic, I read in the Sunday Telegraph that he might be dropped from the Test team too and won't tour England this summer and that Sarwan will be captain in all formats. Does anyone know if this is true and do they think long term the Windies mught be better off making a clean break from the Lara era - even if intially they struggle in the short term without his Test runs.

andmark

International Captain
15 years has brought more joy to spectators. But paradoxically, West Indian cricket is unlikely to

(From the article)Sachin Tendulkar?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
15 years has brought more joy to spectators. But paradoxically, West Indian cricket is unlikely to

(From the article)Sachin Tendulkar?
Personally I'd rather watch Lara bat than Tendulkar, but it's a personal choice.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Don't think he was a paticulary great captain (heck is there anyone that does?) but the West Indies were in decline before he came to power anyway, to blame him for destroying the character of team from an outsiders perspective is just plain wrong IMO.

It's easy to make anyone look like anything in writing, and while i don't see Lara as being a saviour of West Indian cricket, i don't think a lot of the problems the team went through can be attributed to him.

Writing articles like that are far too easy and don't address the fashion in any sort of objective manner, anyone can throw a few choice quotes together and pin the blame on the captain, but in reality i don't think there's much Lara changed with West Indian cricket, for better or for worse.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't think he was a paticulary great captain (heck is there anyone that does?) but the West Indies were in decline before he came to power anyway, to blame him for destroying the character of team from an outsiders perspective is just plain wrong IMO.

It's easy to make anyone look like anything in writing, and while i don't see Lara as being a saviour of West Indian cricket, i don't think a lot of the problems the team went through can be attributed to him.

Writing articles like that are far too easy and don't address the fashion in any sort of objective manner, anyone can throw a few choice quotes together and pin the blame on the captain, but in reality i don't think there's much Lara changed with West Indian cricket, for better or for worse.

Indeed.

Sambit Bal must be rather bitter against Lara and rather ignorant about West Indies cricket in the past 10-15 years.