• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fletcher expected to quit as England coach by BBC

PY

International Coach
BBC Report

Don't find myself too surprised to be honest. I don't think the ECB/Fletcher had much choice.

With the report to come out in the near future, England don't have a coach for now as Moores takes a temporary role.

Last edited:

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
BBC Report

Don't find myself too surprised to be honest. I don't think the ECB had much choice.

With the report to come out in the near future, England don't have a coach for now as Moores takes a temporary role.

JUst wondering, what do people think of Dav Whatmore as a potential England coach, to replace Fletcher ?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
To be honest, I'm not surprised. I thought once it was said that Morgan would give a press conference today that something was going to happen. If it's true, he's done the honourable thing and its nice to see. Too often in the UK people have to be dragged kicking and screaming from jobs even when evryone in the nation knows they should go. As for Whatmore, he'd be my second choice to Moody (but I think he'd prefer India judging by what I've heard.). My fear is that uf we wait for the Schofield report all the good coaches might be snapped up and we'll end up with Moores. A no 2 to a foreign coach takes over himself - why do the words "Steve" and "McClaren" come to mind?

PY

International Coach
To be honest, I'm not surprised. I thought once it was said that Morgan would give a press conference today that something was going to happen. If it's true, he's done the honourable thing and its nice to see. Too often in the UK people have to be dragged kicking and screaming from jobs even when evryone in the nation knows they should go. As for Whatmore, he'd be my second choice to Moody (but I think he'd prefer India judging by what I've heard.). My fear is that uf we wait for the Schofield report all the good coaches might be snapped up and we'll end up with Moores. A no 2 to a foreign coach takes over himself - why do the words "Steve" and "McClaren" come to mind?
Haha I thought the exact same thing.

I'm going to be optimistic and say that if someone really wants the England job then they shall hold out for it long enough for it to become available and it shows they really want it.

However, I think that'd be stupid and we should get Moody/Whatmore in.

EDIT: Was going to type Woolmer there then remembered. :(

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not terribly surprising, the heat was always going to come on him with England's recent form in both formats of the game (CB series finals excluded).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If he's going to go now, then it's a shame he never went after the 05 Ashes win. That meant so much to all of us, but things seem a little sourer now

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
If he's going to go now, then it's a shame he never went after the 05 Ashes win. That meant so much to all of us, but things seem a little sourer now
But that's not the way it works in Britain. In 1996 Australia had beaten the best team in the world away the previous year and got to the WC Final - and they still said "Thanks Bobby (Simpson.) You got us to the top - we need a fresh approach to keep us there.". I bet if we had kept the Ashes we could have lost to Kenya AND Canada in this WC and he'd have kept his job. I'd have wanted him to go whatever happened this winter - if we'd kept the Ashes he'd have nothing left to achieve - but its typical of Britain that its took a rotten winter for the change to occur.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Moores as caretaker it seems. Hmm. Not entirely convinced he's viable long term option. He's done decent-ish job with the academy (although if one were being harsh only really Ali Cook has looked ready for internationals from the young fellas who have stepped up of late) but he's hardly got the track of a Moody or a Whatmore.

Moody will get the job, I'm fairly sure. His base is in England & his missus is a Pom too.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Should have gone before he had the chance to pick Shaun Udal. The bloke did wonders for our Test side and I salute him for that, but his selection policy made about as much sense as George Bush would after a dozen pints.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Someone said on PC that he gets a £300,000 pay-off for his resignation as per his contract. Utterly ridiculous.
I thought the pay off was only if the ECB terminate his contract.

He was on a 1 year rolling contract to give himself some cover I guess.

Still don't see that it's ridiculous either way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What's the betting that if we do well next summer it's credited to a change of coach? 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
He's gone! good riddens.
Ridiculous comment.. By the sounds of it you aren't old enough to have been around in 1999 when he took over, who would have thought six years later England would be winning the ashes, thanks, in part to Fletcher? Yes he ends on a sour note, but I was just looking for a good riddens comment from an ungrateful fan to paste the hell out of..

simmy

International Regular
Ridiculous comment.. By the sounds of it you aren't old enough to have been around in 1999 when he took over, who would have thought six years later England would be winning the ashes, thanks, in part to Fletcher? Yes he ends on a sour note, but I was just looking for a good riddens comment from an ungrateful fan to paste the hell out of..
Thank you for responding so well to perhaps the most moronic post I have seen in a while.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's gone! good riddens.

Isn't it "good riddance"? :blink:

Anyway, time for him to go. He's left us in a far better state (test-wise) than he found us, but that doesn't mean the job should become his own personal sinecure because he once won us The Ashes.