• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unusual home schedule announced

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India will be in Australia from End of October to March? That's a loooooooooong tour. But I am loving the fact that it will be four Tests, after which I can stop caring ;). A five or six test tour, with three warmup games and three more practice games in between the test matches would be ideal, and we can get rid of the tri-series.

But I'll take this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cannot wait to road trip around Australia to watch the tests vs. India. :cool:

Had this planned for 2 years now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry, it was an accident - I was aiming for the "Post Reply" button and clicked on the wrong one.

Anyhoo - :) I could have justifiably reported a comment "looks great". 'Cos it don't to me, and I hope it's just a one-off thing (rather as I'd love the T20 WC to be a one-off, but I'm not fool enough to believe it'll happen).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pah, I have no time for these one-dimensional fans. :dry:

(Please do detect the sarcasm there...)

Craig

World Traveller
India will be in Australia from End of October to March? That's a loooooooooong tour. But I am loving the fact that it will be four Tests, after which I can stop caring ;). A five or six test tour, with three warmup games and three more practice games in between the test matches would be ideal, and we can get rid of the tri-series.

But I'll take this.
Lets's go back to how the 1948 Ases was scheduled, with 6 or 7 FC games before the first Test (I'm surprised you type Tests as tests) and then after the last Test we have another 6 or 7 FC matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not keen on First-Class matches after Tests, TBH - bit pointless. But I'd love to have 3 or 4 proper, 4-day, 11-a-side, First-Class, matches before every First Test. And no back-to-back Tests other than extreme rarities (Boxing Day and New Year Tests, for example) too.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I'm not keen on First-Class matches after Tests, TBH - bit pointless. But I'd love to have 3 or 4 proper, 4-day, 11-a-side, First-Class, matches before every First Test. And no back-to-back Tests other than extreme rarities (Boxing Day and New Year Tests, for example) too.
Good point - but the players want short tours and as the Boards don't want to lose money by playing fewer tests/ODIs something has to give - and its the warm ups. Interesting a lot of people think if England had more warm ups last year the Ashes might not have been the shambles it was - but in 1954 they played six four-day games before the First Test - which was nearly as big a disaster as Brisbane 2006.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly don't think The Ashes this year would have been any different in result, but to have had more warmups would have at least removed that gripe which so many bashed on. It'd then have been harder to say "Harmison wasn't in good enough shape" and harder to get away from the simple truth "Harmison isn't good enough".

Nor do I agree that just because the players prefer less warmups it's neccessarily the way to go. With a better tour program (including negligable influx of Twenty20) I think more warmups could be played and the game would be the better for it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lets's go back to how the 1948 Ases was scheduled, with 6 or 7 FC games before the first Test (I'm surprised you type Tests as tests) and then after the last Test we have another 6 or 7 FC matches.
:cool: I like it. India may actually win one or two, if that were the case (I still wouldn't hold my breath..WA > India). Full blown six month tours with like 20 games, with six full Tests included. Now that would me my dream.

Alas, 0% chance of anything remotely approaching that happening. I like the idea of warmups too. You see outside teams struggle in India for the first couple tests, before becoming used to the conditions and put up a much better fight later on but by that time the series is usually lost. Same thing happens to teams from the subcontinent who travel out (except they never get to the 'more of a fight' part). More practice games would lead to a higher quality of cricket IMO.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have India ever played a 6-Test series against anyone other than Pakistan?

I thought 6-Test series were exclusive brainchilds of the 1970s Australia and 1980s and 1990s England?

Matt79

Global Moderator
So much for them paring back the CB Series - it's as protracted as ever, unfortunately. Also gutted that Brisbane is slated to host Sri Lanka, rather than India, for our annual Test Match. On the positive side though, good to see that the Test component of the Summer is not over by January 6. Personally, I like the Tests to reach as far into the Summer as possible.
Believe the contract between Cricket Australia and Ch.9 committed them to having the tri-series in its current form for 2007-08. This will be the last year of the current contract, at which time CA have hinted they're keen to re-examine it - probably having two shorter ODI series - hence fewer games but no neutral games...

Looks like a bumper summer for cricket fans here. I see that Australia will be playing 20 tests in 2008 - Ponting would have to be a short-price favourite to smash Youssef's new record for most runs in a calander year given this. I'd also expect Australia to play around 16 different players as the chances of the core team getting through essentially 12 months of non-stop cricket without injuries is slim to nil...

Matt79

Global Moderator
:cool: I like it. India may actually win one or two, if that were the case (I still wouldn't hold my breath..WA > India). Full blown six month tours with like 20 games, with six full Tests included. Now that would me my dream.

Alas, 0% chance of anything remotely approaching that happening. I like the idea of warmups too. You see outside teams struggle in India for the first couple tests, before becoming used to the conditions and put up a much better fight later on but by that time the series is usually lost. Same thing happens to teams from the subcontinent who travel out (except they never get to the 'more of a fight' part). More practice games would lead to a higher quality of cricket IMO.
No time for FC tour matches - we have ODIs now.