• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should anyone over 32 be dropped?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But ODI series still carry the same positives that test series do just in smaller amounts.

Hands up who remembers the natwest final between India and England?

Hands up who remembers the Aus England tied game in 05?

Hands up who remembers the wanderers 06?

Hands up who remembers England being hammered 5-0 by Sri Lanka?

Hands up who remembers KP scoring 3 hundreds in SA or his magnificent 92* against Australia in 05?

Yes i agree that test series are still better and long lasting, but at the time ODI series' are important and you do remember some of the more special games, and no they are special in their own right, not just because the WC is in 4/3/2/1 years time.
I remember the whole lot, always will - but that's because I also remember the nondescript stuff like the trail around India in 2005\06 and the VB Series in 2002\03.

Does recalling them give me any great warmth? Not really - they're worth watching again, certainly, but knowing we've, as I mention elsewhere, won 3 games against ODI-standard sides in the last 4 WCs (SL '99, Zim '99, Pak '03) sort of massively overrides all.

Whereas nothing will ever take away from memories of wonderful Test series like The Ashes '05, most Eng-SA series since readmission, SL-Eng 2000\01, etc.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
As anyone who watches Sky will know, RGD Willis came in off his long run last night after the SA fiasco (I hope county chairmen weren't listening, they'd have earache).One interesting thing though. He said anyone who is 32 should be dropped as they will not be playing by the next WC. But look at Hayden,Brad Hogg, McGrath, Muali, Sanath...surely if you're good enough should play? Is Bob really suggesting none of those players should be at this WC? And Nixon was a (reletive) succsess for us - well compared to the crap in the top three anyway - so I reckon Bob is over simplyfing things. Some players can play on longer than others -you can't generalise like that.But what do you think?
I think your missing the point. England don't have any aging players (OK maybe Nixon) that are performing. Its not asif Vaughan is bashing away hundreds. England need a fresh start. And that mean dropping Nixon , Vaughan etc... England haven't got any player playin well at ODI level , full stop. I've suggested Loye in the past , but I doubt he'll make it to the next world cup. So whats the point in playing him. The team aren't sucessful now , so contining old players is pointless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you're saying ODIs are **** because you don't feel warm when re-watching them?
Heck no. Please refresh the thing - I never, ever feel ODIs are ****. I just don't feel the results of games outside the World Cup have any long-term significance.

xduncanx

Cricket Spectator
Um.. saying that series' do not feel significant now because we are in the middle of a wold cup is only natural. you need to broaden your perspective.

I remember destroying the Aussies in the CH series much more than the last world cup. so by your logic i could say that world cups are not important.

luffy

International Captain
That's just crap really. Should always pick the best team possible for all matches whether they be against USA or South Africa.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly not. But it should be taken in the context it is designed for IMO - how many Englishmen do you think are currently taking comfort from our 3-1 thrashing of South Africa in 2003 after they removed us from the tournament? Or Indians from their 6-1 demolition of the Lankans in 2005\06?

I'd bet roughly none.

The fact of the matter is, IMO, that ODIs would not be played if there was no World Cup. The World Cup is what all ODI cricket is geared towards. I don't, myself, see any point at all in a player playing ODIs if he's not going to be around for the next World Cup. None at all. Some (Gelman, Jono, Perm) feel differently, and that's fair enough. But I'd be happiest if, say, Michael Bevan and Darren Lehmann had left Australia's side after WC2003, rather than the time and style they did.
:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Um.. saying that series' do not feel significant now because we are in the middle of a wold cup is only natural. you need to broaden your perspective.

I remember destroying the Aussies in the CH series much more than the last world cup. so by your logic i could say that world cups are not important.
I wonder how you'd feel were the Aussies to beat the Kiwis at some point this Cup.

If you still ignored that and remembered the C-H series I'd call you a Kiwi strangeobug.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's just crap really. Should always pick the best team possible for all matches whether they be against USA or South Africa.
Sometimes that isn't always feasilbe though, due to injuries/suspension/death building.

xduncanx

Cricket Spectator
I wonder how you'd feel were the Aussies to beat the Kiwis at some point this Cup.

If you still ignored that and remembered the C-H series I'd call you a Kiwi strangeobug.
Ok stupid and trivial discussion but here goes....
If NZ were to lose to AUS in the upcoming, largely irrelevant match up then i will still remember the 3-0 victory over AUS more.
If however AUS were to thrash us in the final of this world cup then that would obviously be closer (and more important) in my mind.
Now i have simple reasoning behind this if this still escapes you. A game of cricket, a series of cricket, a world cup of cricket, whatevever cricket it is has a certain weight to it that the pleasure/memory of victory will give you. Obviously this depreciates with time. So sure a world cup is the most important achievment in ODI's and thus will be remembered most. But this in no way makes all the other games, which build up to and create expectaions for the WC, irrelevant.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - they cannot possibly be irrelevant, as they are the games you have to determine your World Cup side.

However, the results of them are irrelevant compared to significant World Cup games. Obviously a dead game like this is no more important than a C-H Series game so far as the long-term is concerned, but it should be pretty obvious that I wasn't referring to such games. A dead game is never of much if any significance where I'm concerned.