• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worse depth?

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
last year onions was in talk of a recall re his domestic form? and it looks to be coming out well so far this season??

Craig

World Traveller
im sure if he sorted his line and length the economy would fall comparatively, if you look at england, and say that leading up2 the ashes harmison, flintoff, plunkett, mahmood, panesar, hoggard etc are the best we have????? tbh i think we may as well blood some young talent (broad/onions/tremlett etc) and stop wasting time with players who don't perform that well in tests and then do not even want to play in odis, im sure the young cricketers coming through would relish the chance to play in all forms of the game for their country???? perhaps a lack of desire there???
if you listen to Ian Chappell England should really look to move on from Harmison. I may be wrong, and I'm probably am, he never seems to be out there a lot of the time and especially when the chips are down.

Hoggard by defination, his photo would be right next to the term "workhorse".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somehow Plunkett >>>>>>>>>> Dickinson
Naturally (my nose has the shape to prove it).

But the point I was making was that some things are a massive ask, and I feel that either of us becoming a half-decent bowler is simply not going to happen.

Craig

World Traveller
I'd say he is half decent now or otherwise why he be playing FC cricket, let alone for England? He must have something going for him.

If he can fix those two things up (ie bowling coaches, nets, match practice etc.) then I don't see why he can't improve. Practice makes perfect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say he is half decent now or otherwise why he be playing FC cricket, let alone for England? He must have something going for him.
I honestly don't think so - I don't believe he's a county, never mind international, standard bowler.
If he can fix those two things up (ie bowling coaches, nets, match practice etc.) then I don't see why he can't improve. Practice makes perfect.
It doesn't, though, that's the trouble. Otherwise He Who Practised Best would all be Shaun Pollock. I reckon Plunkett could practice all he liked and he'd still be as wayward as a dizzy Ray Charles (thanks to Mr Cribb for that one).

Craig

World Traveller
I honestly don't think so - I don't believe he's a county, never mind international, standard bowler.
I could understand him being picked for Durham, that;s one thing, but if he is so completely hopeless why does he keep getting picked?

It doesn't, though, that's the trouble. Otherwise He Who Practised Best would all be Shaun Pollock. I reckon Plunkett could practice all he liked and he'd still be as wayward as a dizzy Ray Charles (thanks to Mr Cribb for that one).
Perhaps he isn't a new ball bowler, more suited with the older ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I could understand him being picked for Durham, that;s one thing, but if he is so completely hopeless why does he keep getting picked?
Because there's no-one better.
Perhaps he isn't a new ball bowler, more suited with the older ball.
But his only remotely notable achievement - CB Series Final #2 - came with the new-ball.

I honestly don't see him being anything other than wholly poor, new or old ball.