• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is England a minnow one day side?

Is England a minnow one day side?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was reading a piece by Bhogle where he brings out the definition of minnow from the MacMillan dictionary:

"unimportant persons or organisations."

Coming to the point.. is England a minnow one day side according to you?

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no, even though they are not as good of a ODI side, they still are important. They are not a minnow just like bangladesh isn't.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, I don't consider them as a minnow side. I just don't think they are very good, much like the West Indies.

Blaze

Banned
If both teams played in whites in today's game, and we couldn't recognise any of the players then you probably would have said quite comfortably that England were a minnow...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Made it to the Supers 8s and won their last ODI series (CB Series), which was against the best side in the world. People have short memories it has to be said. They have some issue with their current side, but really so do India, Pakistan and West Indies.

simmy

International Regular
They beat Australia in Australis a couple of months ago you nutter!

This thread is so pointless.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, of course not. Only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are 'minnows' in the one day game out of the Test playing nations.

pasag

RTDAS
They beat Australia in Australis a couple of months ago you nutter!

This thread is so pointless.
Not taking anything away from them but besides the finals, England weren't crash hot either. Everyone makes it like England had an amazing CB series when in fact they scraped through to the finals and only then played well. Again, not taking anything away from England's victory, it just annoys me that history has sort of been rewritten in such a short time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Quite frankly, I'm growing a bit tired of debates over which teams are minnows and which aren't. It's not a definite cricket terms with any importance - it's simply a word that has been thrown around to distinguish the countries which clearly are clearly inferior from the others. England don't have a very good team at the moment by any stretch of the imagination, but they are not a "minnow" side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's silly to suggest so, just as it's silly to suggest the CB Series victory was anything grandilesquent.

Almost as silly as the term "minnow" ITFP. Substandard side is far, far better.

open365

International Vice-Captain
2 wins against test nations in our last 3 world cups.

Bangladesh have two in this WC already, Ireland have one, Kenya lord have two or more aswell i'm pretty certain.

But we're not a true minnow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
3 against ODI-standard sides in our last 4 WCs, that is.

Seriously - WC99 was better than WC2003 - we at least managed to easily beat SL and Zim then.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
No, of course not. Only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are 'minnows' in the one day game out of the Test playing nations.
No, zimbabwe is the only minnow side of the test playing nation and that to because of their top players are leaving or already left.