• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If the ranking system was invented in the 90s...

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
Do you think Australia would've been ranked number one throughout the 1990's? I rekon Hansie Cronje and the South Africans might have come pretty close to topping the rankings for a few months... Maybe the Sri Lankans would've prevailed after their 1996 World Cup sucsess... No doubt, I'm sure, of the 520 weeks in the 1990's, I'm sure the Aussies would've been on top for at least 480 to 500 of those weeks...

What I'm trying to find out is: were Australia more dominant in the 90's or the new Millenium... I'm sure it was the 2000's, but they were still the main force to be reckoned with in the 90's, especially after 1996...

And as an after thought, who do you rekon is the next team to take a hold on the game in the 10's or 20's (or when ever it is Australia decide to slack off on their cricket?!!)... Pretty hard to look past India isn't it?

open365

International Vice-Captain
And as an after thought, who do you rekon is the next team to take a hold on the game in the 10's or 20's (or when ever it is Australia decide to slack off on their cricket?!!)... Pretty hard to look past India isn't it?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You serious?

:laugh: :laugh:

We're called England, and we're going to dominate.

simmy

International Regular
They aren't South African if they wear the English badge on their chest...

England should threaten in the test arena as we look to have some depth and quality players coming through.

Last edited:

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
They aren't South African if they wear the English badge on their chest...

England should threaten in the test arena as we look to have some depth and quality players coming through.
Fair enough, I guess... To Be Honest, I think Australia will still be number one for a long time, the only dfference is, they will be drawing more Test Matches than usual without Warne to turn a match in a session... Look at the last Ashes series... at least two of those matches could've (and should've) been a draw, only for Warney to come in and destroy.... Australia don't have that option anymore... even if Hogg is a good bowler, he will never be anywhere close to Shane (well, I doubt anyone ever will)... My point is, Australia will probally be number one, but the test rankings will be a lot like the current ODI rankings, Australia at one, with another team or a couple of teams pretty close behind... but never (at least for a while!) good enough to consistantly beat Australia...

simmy

International Regular
Fair enough, I guess... To Be Honest, I think Australia will still be number one for a long time, the only dfference is, they will be drawing more Test Matches than usual without Warne to turn a match in a session... Look at the last Ashes series... at least two of those matches could've (and should've) been a draw, only for Warney to come in and destroy.... Australia don't have that option anymore... even if Hogg is a good bowler, he will never be anywhere close to Shane (well, I doubt anyone ever will)... My point is, Australia will probally be number one, but the test rankings will be a lot like the current ODI rankings, Australia at one, with another team or a couple of teams pretty close behind... but never (at least for a while!) good enough to consistantly beat Australia...
I agree... completely.

No McGrath either!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At the very beginning of the decade, it would have been WI.
Well, for the first 2 years, maybe. Remember, though, West Indies only achieved 2 notable series victories between 1986\87 and 1997 (and from 1997\98 onwards they've been comfortably the worst going around).

IMO Australia became the best side around 1992, and should have beaten, or at the very least drawn with, WI in 1992\93, but it's worth remembering that South Africa were as good as if not better the following season. Equally, if Junior Murray had been fit for that match in 1995 and taken that catch that was instead missed by Courtney Browne, Australia's taking of the crown might have been delayed to 1996\97, and not been so savagely dramatic in nature.

I can't see that there was no point in the 1990s when SA were a better side, but sadly the upshot of it is they never managed to win a series against them - nor did they manage to win the one-off Test in WI in 1992, either.

Simple fact of the matter is, Australia never lost outside the subcontinent between 1988\89 and 2005 (except that aforementioned exceedingly fortuituous WI win in 1992\93) and that counts for a hell of a lot. SA never lost outside the subcontinent either - except to Aus in 1996\97 and 1997\98. Which, in all likelihood, was their golden chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last test series between England and SA (in your own country) we won 2-1.

Figure that out for yourself.
But the series scoreline was not an accurate reflection of the cricket played in the series. Nor does it have any real relevance to the current situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's not a given. The two are not slated to play each other any time in the near future, so the truth is we'll never know.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You can say that one second after a series ends. Both India and Pakistan managed to win a test there, and considering the pitches on offer, that really says a lot about current SA side. They are still a decent side, but England are the #2 test side unless someone proves otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Undoubtedly we're the number-two Test side. But just because India and Pakistan managed to win a Test somewhere doesn't consign said side to uselessness. Pakistan might very well have managed to win a Test over here too but for *certain events*.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have doubt.
I have as to for how much longer - if we fail to beat both WI and Ind in the upcoming months, we can't be taken seriously as 't from that moment until we do something notable again... but right now there's been no Test cricket played for a while.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, they deserved to be beaten 5-0... which could quite conceivably have happened but for a few bad decisions in the First Test, a miracle comeback in the Second and Fourth, and some rain in the Fifth.