• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major England ODI Overhaul Needed

Swervy

International Captain
Get fixed in a technical way, hmm... :dontgetit
for example, you mention how to play the hook...well if that isnt looking at the technique side of things I dont know what is...head position is technique...etc etc.

So from what i can see, you basically think that the nets are to iron out technique issues

Now for someone who said the other week that technique in the way some one plays is over rated (or words to that effect), you seem to be placing a lot of emphasis of that very aspect of batting (by suggesting, like you have done a few times before) that the only way you improve is by a ton of net sessions.

What you seem to forget though, is that batting is such a mentally demanding thing as well, and the only way you can get confidence up and get mentally match fit is to play games. You heard Flintoff say that he didnt feel like he could find the middle of the bat a few weeks back, despite him playing those same shots he always has done. It comes down to confidence...nets arent going to always give you that

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course confidence comes into it, but the only way to get confidence back is to score runs, and if you need confidence to score runs... etc.

It's a vicious circle and you need, purely and simply, a chance to get out of it. And obviously that'll only come by playing games, and to play games requires the scoring of runs, otherwise you're not justifying the faith of the selectors.

Fortunately, Flintoff with another string to his bow can stay in the side even if he's not scoring.

I would say, on the other note, that attacking strokes are not really technical points - technique is more about the set-up and the way you play defensively.

Swervy

International Captain
I would say, on the other note, that attacking strokes are not really technical points - technique is more about the set-up and the way you play defensively.
I will pull you up on this...of course technique is involved with attacking shots. Just because it appears more instinctive doesnt mean technique doesnt come into play.

Freeze frame most attacking shots by a number of players, and each shot will have varying technical reasons for why the shot worked or didnt work.

If you really beleive technique is only a minor aspect of a crunching Ricky Ponting drive or pull you are badly mistaken

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a simple case of definition. I've always thought of technique as an abbreviation for defensive technique. The Drive, Hook, Pull, Glance, etc. are all examples of the repetoire of attacking strokes. Of course their execution is in it's own way technical but that's not what I tend to use the term "technique" to describe.

adharcric

International Coach
Sehwag and Tendulkar both have attacking strokes but Sehwag's off drive utilizes a very different (vulnerable) technique than Sachin's does (front-foot).

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
It's a simple case of definition. I've always thought of technique as an abbreviation for defensive technique. The Drive, Hook, Pull, Glance, etc. are all examples of the repetoire of attacking strokes. Of course their execution is in it's own way technical but that's not what I tend to use the term "technique" to describe.
right then...I see where you have gone wrong then, however, it is only because I am in a good mood that I am going to let you off the hook, because to play the 'definition' card is a bit poor TBH. I would have thought that it was common cricketing knowledge that technique (ie, how you play a shot) span the whole range of batting and not merely defensive shots.

Why would one assume that the word 'technique' is a shortened version of 'defensive technique'?

Swervy

International Captain
It's simply what I've always thought of it as.

Others may think of it differently.

and maybe we are getting to the reason why you get into arguements with people on here, you talk a different cricketing language:laugh:

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think Fred just needs some time off and to get away from the bad memories of his recent failures.

Bad form is a downward spiral, you play bad and forget how you ever played well which makes it harder to play well again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'd be great, very much so. That's why it's so God-damn annoying that the schedules are so ridiculously crammed.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I know, the amount of cricket these guys have to play now is a joke, Flintoff's played on stop over the winter yet has to come home play in a county match then back again for England duty.

It's his job i know, but the guys been through one of the worse English winters i can remember and gets no time off, and unless he gets injured there's no time of in the future as there's the 202 WC in September and then the Sri Lanka tour.