• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Selectors should pick Atapattu Over Tharanga"

Sould the Selectors pick Atapattu Over Tharanga?

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Play Atapattu and Tharanga but Drop Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jude_aus

Cricket Spectator
Selectors should pick Atapattu Over Tharanga.

"Selectors should pick Atapattu Over Tharanga"

player who has played 268 matches should be on the ground playing, not on the bench.

I have been watching all the Sri Lankan matches so far and it’s clear that Tharanga is not comfortable against big teams at all. His strike rate is very slow compare to other openers in the world. Being a slow opener, put lot of pressure on his team-mates.

Why not play Maven Atapattu as an opener with Jayasuriya instead of Tharanga. Atapattu has the experience and he is a better player than Tharanga. In the field, they are not much deferent from each other (Both slow in the field and don’t ball).

May be selectors should give Atapattu a go against Ireland and prepare him for the semis. We will have a better chance of wining the world cup with the following line up.

Marvan Atapattu
Sanath Jayasuriya
Kumar Sangakkara
Mahela Jayawardene
Chamara Silva
Thillakaratne Dilshan
Rassel Arnold
Chaminda Vass
Lasith Malinga
Dilhara Fernando
Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it highly amusing that you criticise Tharanga for being a slow opener yet you want to replace him with Atapattu.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I find it highly amusing that you criticise Tharanga for being a slow opener yet you want to replace him with Atapattu.
Yeah, it does sound a bit funny.

But I think his point is that Atapattu is out of the side because he scores slowly, and yet Tharanga is scoring just as slowly as Atapattu would without having the experience or technique to make it a worthwhile selection.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure if that is such a bad thing, replacing ATapattu with Tharanga. Tharanga has been out of form and ATapattu could provide some stability at the top.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think it is better to have exprince and senior players in semi final and final of the world cup than having unexprince one. i think it is a good idea to try him for ireland's match. if he played good and gain his form he should definitly be given a chance to play for the final and semi final.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I was surprised Atapattu wasn't given a chance against Australia...but maybe they thought that Tharanga needed another chance to prove himself.

Tharanga is the future, and he's shown himself to be capable in England and NZ. He's not been anywhere near his fluent best recently, though.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thread closed due to duplicate thread in the World Cup forum. Please continue discussion on this issue in that thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.