• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Player To...

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
a) Play 50 or more Tests

b) Play 100 or more ODIs

I've seen many posts in regrads to players not being of international standards, so I'm wondering, which players have slipped under the selector's radars and didn't get dropped

a) Many English players; Ramprakash and Butcher just to name two, how they played 52 and 71 Tests, I don't know.

b) I can't think of too many at the moment, I'll come back and update this one. Afridi or Azhar Mahmood maybe? SUre they've had their bright spots, but with their experience, you'd hope for better stats, especially from Afridi

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think is, Afridi had and still has the potential to be a very good player. But let's not go into that whole debate, his stats are very poor and do not fully reflect his ability.

Mark Butcher wasn't that bad, and Azhar Mahmood is more of a Test than ODI player. I'm just waiting to see if Michael Vaughan plays 100 ODI's so we can add his name to the list.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Also...

...for the sake of the thread, please don't mention players from the minnows or players who represenetd a country when they were first established i.e. early NZ, SL and Indian sides.

Mark Butcher wasn't that bad? He is easily one of the worst players for Engalnd in the 90s, luckily, the likes of Bell, Pietersen and Collingwood have come along and ensured that he isn't even in the pecking order anymore.

Perm

He saved his best for Australia and South Africa, the two best Test playing nations during his time as a Test cricketer. I don't think he was ever really good enough as an opener but re-invented himself as a pretty damn good #3 batsman and made a lot of runs there, against some pretty good attacks too. Most of these runs were made at home though, severly limiting his standing on the international circuit.

pup11

International Coach
Definately my pick as the worst odi player would have to be Afridi, purely because of his inconsistency.

IMO, Any player who plays 50 tests or more for his country can't be too bad a player.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Definately my pick as the worst odi player would have to be Afridi, purely because of his inconsistency.

IMO, Any player who plays 50 tests or more for his country can't be too bad a player.
You obviously never saw Ramprakash...

Perm

If Boje played seven more, he'd be a candidate.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Ramprakash having played over 50 test for England only shows how poor the quality of English side was when he was playing for them.

He would have done well if he would have concentrated on dancing rather than playing cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Butcher wasn't that bad? He is easily one of the worst players for Engalnd in the 90s, luckily, the likes of Bell, Pietersen and Collingwood have come along and ensured that he isn't even in the pecking order anymore.
That's complete rubbish, there were countless worse regular players, never mind <10-cap-wonders.

If you seriously think Collingwood > Butcher, well... you're out of your mind. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He saved his best for Australia and South Africa, the two best Test playing nations during his time as a Test cricketer. I don't think he was ever really good enough as an opener but re-invented himself as a pretty damn good #3 batsman and made a lot of runs there, against some pretty good attacks too. Most of these runs were made at home though, severly limiting his standing on the international circuit.
Disagree, Butcher has always been an opener. If you look at his record he was poor both as an opener and a number-three before 2001, and excellent in both positions thereafter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ramprakash having played over 50 test for England only shows how poor the quality of English side was when he was playing for them.
No, it doesn't, it shows that he was a very, very fine player who merited many opportunities and actually achieved quite a bit from 1998 onwards.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hooper is the worst to play 100 tests by a distance IMO. A distinctly average test player who was kept in the team by stubborness, lack of competition and the occasional impressive innings. Atherton would probably be second, though he wasn't terrible by any means, and it's a fairly select club.

The worst to play 100 ODIs would probably be Ricardo Powell IMO. Absolute joke of a player.

Cut it down to 50 tests and Giles definitely comes into play. It's nothing short of astonishing that he and Ramprakash played for that long.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
MJK Smith springs immediately to mind.
As does Keith Fletcher, whose respectable average owes was largely acquired by filling his boots against weak attacks but failing miserably against anyone any good.
And John Emburey, of course.

Perm

He would have done well if he would have concentrated on dancing rather than playing cricket.
Mark Ramprakash is actually a good batsman, just an average Test one.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
a) Play 50 or more Tests

b) Play 100 or more ODIs

I've seen many posts in regrads to players not being of international standards, so I'm wondering, which players have slipped under the selector's radars and didn't get dropped

a) Many English players; Ramprakash and Butcher just to name two, how they played 52 and 71 Tests, I don't know.

b) I can't think of too many at the moment, I'll come back and update this one. Afridi or Azhar Mahmood maybe? SUre they've had their bright spots, but with their experience, you'd hope for better stats, especially from Afridi
i think Ramprakash scoring over 2000 FC runs last year shows why he played so many tests!!