• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Player To...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
think you are missing the point,

Who on that list (apart from Hooper) would you say is worse than Athers?
Out of the 32 batsmen, Fleming, Malik, Jayasuriya, Langer and quite possibly Mark Waugh, as well as Hooper as you mention, are IMO inferior.

People vastly underrate Atherton's true achievements as a Test batsman. His is one of the most blatant cases of an overall average telling you little about a player.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Langer, nah not really true, I'm just bitter he will be go down as a better batsman than Marto when Marto was soooo much more talented. I know i know raw talent means nothing, and i'm very biased :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand what that list proves at all.
Did you read the post that people are responding to? The claim was that Atherton was (aside from Hooper) the worst to play 100 tests. That list is the people who have played 100 tests, so that's the whole point of the comparison.

Mind you, I actually forgot that Fleming has passed 100 tests recently. Atherton is probably better than Fleming, all things considered. Certainly a better player of pace bowling, anyway. Hooper is clearly worse than both of them IMO.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Fierce competition between Hooper and Atherton for worst player with 100 caps. I'd say Hooper tbh with honourable mentions to Boucher, Fleming, Kumble and Thorpe.

Gilo the worst to play 50 tests it seems although I'm sure there's many terrible cricketers who have played that much who we just forget.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tough to call Boucher and Kumble bad players, best keeper and spinner in their respective countries by quite a distance.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
That's the thing about playing 100 Tests, you're usually a very good player to achieve that. None of the players to play 100 are bad, they're just not quite as good as the others.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Fierce competition between Hooper and Atherton for worst player with 100 caps. I'd say Hooper tbh with honourable mentions to Boucher, Fleming, Kumble and Thorpe.

Gilo the worst to play 50 tests it seems although I'm sure there's many terrible cricketers who have played that much who we just forget.
Kumble's the 4th leading test wicket taker in the world, how you can say anyone with over 500 wickets is even close to being on of the worst 100+ players is beyond me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the thing about playing 100 Tests, you're usually a very good player to achieve that. None of the players to play 100 are bad, they're just not quite as good as the others.
Exactly, it's a pretty stupid debate really.

In Tests you don't tend to get Afridis and Powells.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
...for the sake of the thread, please don't mention players from the minnows or players who represenetd a country when they were first established i.e. early NZ, SL and Indian sides.

Mark Butcher wasn't that bad? He is easily one of the worst players for Engalnd in the 90s, luckily, the likes of Bell, Pietersen and Collingwood have come along and ensured that he isn't even in the pecking order anymore.
Pietersen? The guy averages just under 50 and has 6 hundreds and 9 50's in 23 tests.

How is he easily one of England's worst Test players?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain

Thorpe? Thorpe was a top class bat.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pietersen? The guy averages just under 50 and has 6 hundreds and 9 50's in 23 tests.

How is he easily one of England's worst Test players?
He meant that Pietersen, Bell and Collingwood have put themselves into England's middle order and all but eliminated Mark Butcher's chances of a recall to the side.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
He meant that Pietersen, Bell and Collingwood have put themselves into England's middle order and all but eliminated Mark Butcher's chances of a recall to the side.
:laugh:

Whoops

My bad

My apologies too.

Should read more carefully.