• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bracken's test chances

Josh

International Regular
Anyone else reckon, that now with the retirement of McGrath, Nathan Bracken might be a chance to make it into the test side? I mean, look at his form of late, I know a lot of people don't like to compare OD and 5-day, but honestly he's gotta be right up there.

How was his FC season?? The bloke is a dead-set gun; quiet achiever tbh.

pasag

RTDAS
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

Would love to see Bracken succeed in Tests although I doubt he'll be given a chance to get back in.

Josh

International Regular
Would rate him better than Johnson. That said I'd also have Hogg over MacGill, but that just comes from plain hatred for the man.

S'pose Johnson would probably be the better choice though being younger. Young blood is something we haven't spawned probably since Brett Lee.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson's stocks have gone down imo, its wide open and really anyone with form next time a squad is picked will get a chance...

pasag

RTDAS
Would rate him better than Johnson. That said I'd also have Hogg over MacGill, but that just comes from plain hatred for the man.

S'pose Johnson would probably be the better choice though being younger. Young blood is something we haven't spawned probably since Brett Lee.
Selectors don't though. It's pretty clear Johnson's been earmarked and I'd be very suprised if he's not playing in our next Test.

oz_fan

International Regular
Bracken definately deserves a chance in the test squad. I can't remember the last time he didn't perform well in OD's. He offers variety as well because he is left handed and usually gets good swing and is able to change his pace.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's pretty clear Johnson's been earmarked and I'd be very suprised if he's not playing in our next Test.
He shouldn't though IMO.He started his OD career well but in the last 4-5 he played he was hammered all over the place.He's done not much in the ODI game to be considered a test player.I'd rather go for Tait or Hilfenhaus TBH.

Josh

International Regular
Bracken definately deserves a chance in the test squad. I can't remember the last time he didn't perform well in OD's. He offers variety as well because he is left handed and usually gets good swing and is able to change his pace.
Precisely

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Interesting

Selectors don't though. It's pretty clear Johnson's been earmarked and I'd be very suprised if he's not playing in our next Test.
In saying that, they did ear-mark Dorey, Lewis and Joe-blow didn't they?

Just to defend myself before I get in trouble, Australia have blooded a number of players (more so bowlers) in attempting to find the right combination for this World Cup. It is clear that, Johnson was to be featured, but his form in the CB series has warranted him a position.

Maybe he isn't the flavour of the month anymore.

The 'youth' factor is in Johnson's favour, in saying that Bracken is only 29 - but the 'Dad's Army' tag that Australia has been attached with could work against him.

Overall:

Lee - Clark - Spinner - Tait

Yeah, after all that, I think that Tait will get the Test place.

Josh

International Regular
He shouldn't though IMO.He started his OD career well but in the last 4-5 he played he was hammered all over the place.He's done not much in the ODI game to be considered a test player.I'd rather go for Tait or Hilfenhaus TBH.
Soild calls, tbh.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Id prefer Tait in the side too, but I dont think the selectors will go that way, Hilfenhaus would be a great choice if he's in form come next summer...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bracken's a fine ODI bowler - in fact, he's well on the way to being a genuinely great ODI bowler. Not sure he'll get much of a go in tests in the near future though. Clark, Lee and MacGill are certainties next summer, as is Watson fitness permitting, and I think the temptation will be to go for an unproven bowler with the potential to be devastating to fill the other spot, like Johnson or Tait or perhaps Hilfenhaus, rather than a safe option like Bracken. I think Bracken could probably be a good test bowler, but the assets which make him so good in ODIs wouldn't really have an impact in tests, particularly if he's not given the new ball. 120 kph cutters aren't going to frighten too many set batsmen in a test.

He could be extremely good if the ball is swinging though, or in the subcontinent. I'd not mind seeing him get another go at some point, but I just can't see it happening next summer without a string of injuries.

pasag

RTDAS
Wait up. What does not having done much as a One-Day player have to do with not getting a run in the Test side? I can understand that Bracken has done excellently in the one-dayers so he deserves to be considered for Tests, you'd be stupid to ignore a player in the form of his life. But the logic doesn't work the other way. IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A couple months ago Johnson would have been near certainity. But the same would have said about him playing in starting XI at the World Cup. Back them most people thought Australia would go for four prong pace attack which included Lee, Bracken, McGarth and Johnson. Clearly a lot has happened since then and i think Johnson has fallen down the pecking order.

Tait has been very good (brillant at times) at the this World Cup, surely that has to count for something if they go for the youth factor. Hilfenhaus performance in the Pura Cup Final and in general in domestic cricket has probably put him ahead of of Johnson as well.

With the Bracken the question will always be his ability to swing the red ball, as much as the white one. But how many of his wickets recently have been a result of massive swing. Most have been due to sutle changes in swing, seam movement or pace changes. Overall personal i think he would be Australia's best option.

But i would be very surprised if Tait isn't lining up now in the 1st Test against Sri Lanka. From a Sri Lankan POV i much rather a unproven Tait, Johnson or Hilfenhaus lining up against us then Bracken. But im sure the selectors will go for youth and most likely the extra pace of Tait.

pup11

International Coach
I would rate Tait ahead of Johnson as a test-match bowler, in a test match he need not worry about the wides so he can bowl more aggressively and freely.

If it doesn't swing Bracken ain't too good with the red-cherry, his cutters and slower balls won't make too much of an impact in test-matches.

These should be the Test-bowling options to choose from :-

1.Lee
2.Clark
3.Tait
4.McGill
5.Gillespie
6.Watson
7.Hilfenhaus
8.Johnson

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Lee, Clark and MacGill are all pretty much certain.

Hilfy and Tait i would have as favourites to take out the 4th sport for thr first test. Bracken lacks the penetration required to be a top class test bowler i think - he certainly deserves the chance to prove me wrong though. He would definately get a boost on any bowler friendly pitch.

adharcric

International Coach
Bracken is just a superior version of Pathan at his best. Superb one-day bowler but he will only threaten in certain conditions in the longer format.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bracken doesn't have enough pace and penetration to be considered a Test bowler really, it has been mentioned several times in this thread already but unless he was given the new ball and the conditions suited swing, then he isn't going to cut it in the Test arena. His cutters and slower balls are fine for ODI cricket where the batsman are looking to score and run the risk of hitting it in the air, but a good Test batsman will be able to adjust his shot accordingly.