• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marcus Trescothick

Langeveldt

Soutie
He has my utmost respect as a bloke..

It took me a while to realize how bad this lifestyle really is, when you get on a night flight that takes you further away from people who constantly remind you how much they love you. When you get something like two weeks with them, it's just enough time to make you realize what you no longer have when you get on that plane, empty flights being the worst.. You're whole life screwed up in a suitcase when you get to the other end in a blank room.. I thought about Tres somewhere over Africa last night.

I reckon it took more balls for him to face up to his problems while all and sundry (me included) had a go at him for his "weakness" , but after all, he wasn't running away, he was running back..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Rich getting philosophical again, always provokes a good discussion.

I personally feel the lack of support for Marcus shown by the British press and public has been tantamount to a betrayal. The man has put every ounce of his energy into becoming a key component of a successful side in recent years, a side which has, let's face it, fallen apart in his absence, and yet when he most needs the support of the supporters who've been more than happy to cheer every run he scores for the last seven years, some of them have knifed him in the back in a heartbeat.

His recent affliction is one that has confused a lot of people, but that is by no means an excuse for some of the reactions that have greeted it. The fact that he has been diagnosed with what is effectively a mental illness should be cause for sympathy, and certainly not criticism.

I for one cannot wait for the day he returns to the England side - he is the most successful English batsman of his generation, and deserves better than to be treated like he still has something to prove.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think the main gripe was with his bungling of what was really wrong with the media initially.. Lost a lot of respect for that, I can see where he's coming from though, not always easy to tell people what's going on when you have McGrath and co coming up with comments..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think the main gripe was with his bungling of what was really wrong with the media initially.. Lost a lot of respect for that, I can see where he's coming from though, not always easy to tell people what's going on when you have McGrath and co coming up with comments..
Admittedly he didn't handle it very well to begin with media-wise, but he's recently said that part of the reason was that he didn't understand what was happening to him, so couldn't give a reasonable explanation.

It's not just that though, people were levelling accusations that he was "picking and choosing" his matches and tours, which is just ridiculous. The guy's the ultimate team player, there's never been any suggestion otherwise.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh. Trescothick seems like a good bloke, hope he gets through this alright.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most other players I'd feel differently about, but for Trescothick all I have is

Insensitive morons like yourself are probably part of the reason Trescothick has struggled to talk to the media about this.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if there is a 'caste-system' in English cricket as in india where mega-stars (brahmins) are treated differently than the 'shudras' ?

Wonder if the same had happened to, God Forbid, someone like Flintoof......

Isolator

State 12th Man
Insensitive morons like yourself are probably part of the reason Trescothick has struggled to talk to the media about this.
Err...sorry. It's a completely irrational dislike. Problem is on TV these guys are just personas, so to speak, rather than real people. So it's quite easy to get into (for me anyway) a "ARR I DON'T LIKE YOUR FACE, DIE!" mentality. I deserve all the flak I get for this, but I can't help it.

Perm

Err...sorry. It's a completely irrational dislike. Problem is on TV these guys are just personas, so to speak, rather than real people. So it's quite easy to get into (for me anyway) a "ARR I DON'T LIKE YOUR FACE, DIE!" mentality. I deserve all the flak I get for this, but I can't help it.
I can understand if you dislike a high level cricketer, there are quite a few of them I dislike too but there is no reason to laugh at them when they are struck down by a serious mental illness like depression.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
I can understand if you dislike a high level cricketer, there are quite a few of them I dislike too but there is no reason to laugh at them when they are struck down by a serious mental illness like depression.
Depression ? A serious mental illness ? What rubbish. If I was Marcus's old man, I would have given him two sticks on the legs. Be a man, face your problems..don't cry over it.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Not really laughing at him (that was Nelson, I couldn't stop him)... but ahh I don't know. I mean say if Matthew Hayden had his skull cracked by a bouncer I wouldn't be sad. It's sort of like that. It's an a**hole opinion, I know.

Perm

Depression ? A serious mental illness ? What rubbish. If I was Marcus's old man, I would have given him two sticks on the legs. Be a man, face your problems..don't cry over it.
Thing is, no matter how tough you try and act about it you are always going to get down when you're alone and in the situation he was in. Trust me, I know all about depression and it may not affect you too much infront of your friends or during the cricket match or whatever, but behind the scenes when you have time to sit back and think about it, it will ultimately get you down. A kick in the arse won't help.

pup11

International Coach
Look Tresco has got a mental-stress related problem, its not that its in his control to get over it.

So i have a lot of sympathy for him, i think he has been a damn good player for England and i just hope recovers soon and makes it back into the side.

P.S: Isolater don't behave like a dickhead!!

adharcric

International Coach
Be a man? Is that ignorance, insensitivity or sheer idiocy on your part? It is rarely that simple. Say hello to the real world, btw.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
And If I was your old man, I would have given you two sticks on the legs for being an insensitive ****. We've come a long way in the study and understanding of mental illness since the attitudes of the 50s, displayed in your post.

pasag

RTDAS
Not really laughing at him (that was Nelson, I couldn't stop him)... but ahh I don't know. I mean say if Matthew Hayden had his skull cracked by a bouncer I wouldn't be sad. It's sort of like that. It's an a**hole opinion, I know.
Yeah it's pretty common. I see it amongst my friends more than anything. They'll say "I hate Brad Hogg" and I'll ask them why and they'll respond "I don't like the whole tongue thing". Annoys me quite abit itbt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am amazed at some of the stuff being said here. God forbid that any of us should suffer in the same manner but if one does, giving them 'two sticks on the legs' and asking them to 'Be a man, face your problems..don't cry over it."

Wow !!

Count your blessings guys that you are not in Tresco's place and I pray that you are not surrounded by friends and relatives with such 'fancy' treatments in mind.