• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marcus Trescothick

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Depression ? A serious mental illness ? What rubbish. If I was Marcus's old man, I would have given him two sticks on the legs. Be a man, face your problems..don't cry over it.
So many things just plain wrong with that post.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really laughing at him (that was Nelson, I couldn't stop him)... but ahh I don't know. I mean say if Matthew Hayden had his skull cracked by a bouncer I wouldn't be sad. It's sort of like that. It's an a**hole opinion, I know.
Surely, as a fan of the game you would be concerned and sad to see him injured, because he is playing the game at the highest level. Regardless of how you feel about the bloke you should be able to see the issue with a bit more decency, he is obviously suffering and it doesn't help when fans jump on the bandwagon and say "I hate Trescothick, he needs to toughen up" because it just displays how ignorant you really are.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He has my utmost respect as a bloke..

It took me a while to realize how bad this lifestyle really is, when you get on a night flight that takes you further away from people who constantly remind you how much they love you. When you get something like two weeks with them, it's just enough time to make you realize what you no longer have when you get on that plane, empty flights being the worst.. You're whole life screwed up in a suitcase when you get to the other end in a blank room.. I thought about Tres somewhere over Africa last night.

I reckon it took more balls for him to face up to his problems while all and sundry (me included) had a go at him for his "weakness" , but after all, he wasn't running away, he was running back..
He would have my respect too, if he hadn't dished out stupid excuses for him leaving mid-tour from India.

As of right now, I am really sorry he has all these personal problems but I don't respect the guy one bit.

Craig

World Traveller
Thing is, no matter how tough you try and act about it you are always going to get down when you're alone and in the situation he was in. Trust me, I know all about depression and it may not affect you too much infront of your friends or during the cricket match or whatever, but behind the scenes when you have time to sit back and think about it, it will ultimately get you down. A kick in the arse won't help.
Yes I agree, over the last 9 months I've been through some personal hell and it wasn't until the last two months I've battled over it after speaking to somebody who I know and trust very well and it a lot of it was all solved, so I can definatly sympathanise with Marcus Trescothick. And form my experience it was hard for me to do something about, so I can see where he was comingfrom.

At the end of day the Ashes is just cricket which is a sport, and it is all insignificant and nobody should care what Glenn McGrath thinks.

He would have my respect too, if he hadn't dished out stupid excuses for him leaving mid-tour from India.

As of right now, I am really sorry he has all these personal problems but I don't respect the guy one bit.
Pardon my ignorance but what did he say?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich getting philosophical again, always provokes a good discussion.
Indeed...
I personally feel the lack of support for Marcus shown by the British press and public has been tantamount to a betrayal. The man has put every ounce of his energy into becoming a key component of a successful side in recent years, a side which has, let's face it, fallen apart in his absence, and yet when he most needs the support of the supporters who've been more than happy to cheer every run he scores for the last seven years, some of them have knifed him in the back in a heartbeat.

His recent affliction is one that has confused a lot of people, but that is by no means an excuse for some of the reactions that have greeted it. The fact that he has been diagnosed with what is effectively a mental illness should be cause for sympathy, and certainly not criticism.

I for one cannot wait for the day he returns to the England side - he is the most successful English batsman of his generation, and deserves better than to be treated like he still has something to prove.
Honestly haven't read too much correspondance of the Trescothick issue, but the few things I have read (eg Geoff Boycott) have been almost exclusively sympathetic.

I hope he's back in the side at the start of this summer, not that I've ever rated him much as a Test batsman, but I hate to see a career end on that note.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And just to add: I concur wholeheartedly with those condemning this post:
Depression ? A serious mental illness ? What rubbish. If I was Marcus's old man, I would have given him two sticks on the legs. Be a man, face your problems..don't cry over it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes I agree, over the last 9 months I've been through some personal hell and it wasn't until the last two months I've battled over it after speaking to somebody who I know and trust very well and it a lot of it was all solved, so I can definatly sympathanise with Marcus Trescothick. And form my experience it was hard for me to do something about, so I can see where he was comingfrom.

At the end of day the Ashes is just cricket which is a sport, and it is all insignificant and nobody should care what Glenn McGrath thinks.

Pardon my ignorance but what did he say?

Something about Indian food not being good, or something like that. Don't remember exactly, but what he said was pretty degrading about India and Aakash Chopra even wrote a piece on that.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Trescothick ive always respected a lot as a cricketer!
so I really felt for him when that illness came to him, and I keep hoping he'll come back, one of my favourite cricketers he is.

as Craig said, ive also have a not so nice past, and talking about to to a psychologist or even someone you fully trusts helps so much, even if your not sure what's wrong with you, or what is bothering you, and that's probably them problem ,that he didn't know who to talk to, and what precisly was wrong with him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In short, it's none of our business.
It is when you dicking people along and making **** and bull stories up for leaving tours in India.

He left England in the mire and then made false assumptions and promises and for that reason he should be held 'accountable'.

Must be tremendously difficult to play cricket when you have problems at home and he obviously loves his family a great deal and it’s his personal struggle but some clarity or indeed consistency would have helped his 'cause' one feels.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It is when you dicking people along and making **** and bull stories up for leaving tours in India.

He left England in the mire and then made false assumptions and promises and for that reason he should be held 'accountable'.

Must be tremendously difficult to play cricket when you have problems at home and he obviously loves his family a great deal and it’s his personal struggle but some clarity or indeed consistency would have helped his 'cause' one feels.
Spot on

howardj

International Coach
You'd think not being part of the Ashes humiliation would have cheered Marcus up somewhat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or it could have made him feel worse because he might have felt he was letting the side down... we just don't know.

The best thing everyone concerned in any way can do is put that wretched series behind them. Especially established players like Strauss, Bell, Flintoff etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Something about Indian food not being good, or something like that. Don't remember exactly, but what he said was pretty degrading about India and Aakash Chopra even wrote a piece on that.
It's not that easy to tell the whole world you've got a mental illness.