Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cricket vs rugby vs baseball vs others...

cricket vs rugby vs baseball vs others...

I was watching a video just now about the rugby wc 2007, (I don't know much about rugby but just the football came from rugby). But it said it's viewed by over 3 some billion viewers. That's a lot more than cwc. People who know about rugby is it more popular than cricket world wide? I know that 20 countries take part in its wc and its governing body has more members than the ICC so it seems that way. So is cricket anywhere near to being the 2nd most popular sport population wise?

I would have thought Cricket would be more popular viewing wise than Rugby. Rugby is popular in England, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, and France. It also fields teams from Italy, Wales, Scotland, Japan, Namibia.

so during their WC's they would have more viewers just because of the diversity of nations taking their telecasts. though I would say apart from during the WC Cricket is watched more than rugby

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E
    But it said it's viewed by over 3 some billion viewers.
    Bull****. I don't buy that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpP3NYGe_k
    also typing in rugby wc it looks like the official site for tickets etc is a sponsored link it seems lie IRB(i think its called) is smarter than ICC as far as marketing and things like that goes.

Cricket an easy second to soccer in terms of popularity/spectator sport. Doubt any American sport would come close. Obviously this WC wont rate too well with India and Pakistan out and with it generally being a borefest.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Purely as a matter of opinion - Rugby is a disgraceful game and one which should be erased from the world stage. Dire.
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-04-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Purely as a matter of opinion - Rugby is a disgraceful game and one which should be eraed form the world stage. Dire.

Purely as a matter of opinion - Rugby is a disgraceful game and one which should be erased from the world stage. Dire.

Quote Originally Posted by readie View Post
    I would have thought Cricket would be more popular viewing wise than Rugby. Rugby is popular in England, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, and France. It also fields teams from Italy, Wales, Scotland, Japan, Namibia.

so during their WC's they would have more viewers just because of the diversity of nations taking their telecasts. though I would say apart from during the WC Cricket is watched more than rugby
    It's not that popular.... The top flight competition is a long way behind AFL in terms of popularity, and in terms of grassroots it's a distant fourth to Netball, Soccer and AFL.
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

well, i see that i'm not really going to get the real thing here since most of you are more cricket fans than rugby or baseball fans, better go ask some from other forums and then we all could go there and figure it out

That is a pretty crap pure matter of opinion to have. Rugby is good, just like cricket !
    -The story in a nutshell is three college dorm students who seek ultimate highs by purchasing and using a bong that is possessed by an evil spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by cameeel View Post
    It's not that popular.... The top flight competition is a long way behind AFL in terms of popularity, and in terms of grassroots it's a distant fourth to Netball, Soccer and AFL.
    are you talking about Top-flight rugby as in Super 14 or are you talking about Rugby League because League is as popular in NSW as AFL is in Victoria.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amokk1 View Post
    That is a pretty crap pure matter of opinion to have. Rugby is good, just like cricket !
    Well, it's all a matter of opinion, but in what other sport is a penalty given because a bloke has one sleeve of his vodafone (sorry wallaby) jersey pulled down and the other up, and entered from the side of a ruck at an angle of 57 degrees instead of the allowable 48?
    And in what other football code or sport in general, does a side trailling 22 -nil before half time get a free kick and elect to take a shot at goal (western Force last weekend in Super 14), or one side scores 4 tries to 1 or 2 and gets beaten becuse some batty boy can place kick a footy form 55 metres out? I thought the object of the game was to score tries.

I have this theory re. rugby in Australia, where I'm from. It's different in Jaapie land and Kiwi ville because it's the dominant footy code in those places, but while ever the rugby union in this country continues to pull the vast majority of its players from elite private schools where blokes are born with silver spoons in their cloacas and are largely mummy's boys who get driven to and from school each day in air conditioned mercs and bmw 4wds, we will never have a side hard enough to consistently compete with the all blacks and sprinboks. It may be that we have the occasional golden era a la the 1990s where there was just a confluence of the astrological signs to give ius Eales, Gregan (at his best), Willie O, Lynagh, Farr-Jones and Larkham either all at once or one after the other, but long term, it just won't cut it.
    As a cure for insomnia, however, it has no peers.
    Edit: on topic at hand, no I don't think it is ore popular or has 3 billion viewers. It may have 100 million people who for reasons known only to themselves see fit t sit through 30 games, but I would have thought that any sport which is popular in a country with a population of more than 1 billion (cricket) would have an enormous head start in terms of watching figures).
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-04-2007 at 02:38 AM.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Seconded. Wouldn't quite call it "disgraceful", but yeah, rugby = dire.

Soccer is the hands down world game because there is hardly any part of the world where its not played and viewed, tennis and cricket rank after soccer in terms of popularity IMO.

Motorsports,Rugby,Baseball,Golf and American Football are sports with limited appeal (as its attracts only a certain section of viewers) and its only popular in one particular country.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information