• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket vs rugby vs baseball vs others...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I was watching a video just now about the rugby wc 2007, (I don't know much about rugby but just the football came from rugby). But it said it's viewed by over 3 some billion viewers. That's a lot more than cwc. People who know about rugby is it more popular than cricket world wide? I know that 20 countries take part in its wc and its governing body has more members than the ICC so it seems that way. So is cricket anywhere near to being the 2nd most popular sport population wise?

readie

State Regular
I would have thought Cricket would be more popular viewing wise than Rugby. Rugby is popular in England, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, and France. It also fields teams from Italy, Wales, Scotland, Japan, Namibia.

so during their WC's they would have more viewers just because of the diversity of nations taking their telecasts. though I would say apart from during the WC Cricket is watched more than rugby

pasag

RTDAS
Cricket an easy second to soccer in terms of popularity/spectator sport. Doubt any American sport would come close. Obviously this WC wont rate too well with India and Pakistan out and with it generally being a borefest.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Purely as a matter of opinion - Rugby is a disgraceful game and one which should be erased from the world stage. Dire.

Last edited:

cameeel

International Captain
I would have thought Cricket would be more popular viewing wise than Rugby. Rugby is popular in England, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, and France. It also fields teams from Italy, Wales, Scotland, Japan, Namibia.

so during their WC's they would have more viewers just because of the diversity of nations taking their telecasts. though I would say apart from during the WC Cricket is watched more than rugby
It's not that popular.... The top flight competition is a long way behind AFL in terms of popularity, and in terms of grassroots it's a distant fourth to Netball, Soccer and AFL.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well, i see that i'm not really going to get the real thing here since most of you are more cricket fans than rugby or baseball fans, better go ask some from other forums and then we all could go there and figure it out :p

readie

State Regular
It's not that popular.... The top flight competition is a long way behind AFL in terms of popularity, and in terms of grassroots it's a distant fourth to Netball, Soccer and AFL.
are you talking about Top-flight rugby as in Super 14 or are you talking about Rugby League because League is as popular in NSW as AFL is in Victoria.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is a pretty crap pure matter of opinion to have. Rugby is good, just like cricket !
Well, it's all a matter of opinion, but in what other sport is a penalty given because a bloke has one sleeve of his vodafone (sorry wallaby) jersey pulled down and the other up, and entered from the side of a ruck at an angle of 57 degrees instead of the allowable 48?
And in what other football code or sport in general, does a side trailling 22 -nil before half time get a free kick and elect to take a shot at goal (western Force last weekend in Super 14), or one side scores 4 tries to 1 or 2 and gets beaten becuse some batty boy can place kick a footy form 55 metres out? I thought the object of the game was to score tries.

I have this theory re. rugby in Australia, where I'm from. It's different in Jaapie land and Kiwi ville because it's the dominant footy code in those places, but while ever the rugby union in this country continues to pull the vast majority of its players from elite private schools where blokes are born with silver spoons in their cloacas and are largely mummy's boys who get driven to and from school each day in air conditioned mercs and bmw 4wds, we will never have a side hard enough to consistently compete with the all blacks and sprinboks. It may be that we have the occasional golden era a la the 1990s where there was just a confluence of the astrological signs to give ius Eales, Gregan (at his best), Willie O, Lynagh, Farr-Jones and Larkham either all at once or one after the other, but long term, it just won't cut it.
As a cure for insomnia, however, it has no peers.
Edit: on topic at hand, no I don't think it is ore popular or has 3 billion viewers. It may have 100 million people who for reasons known only to themselves see fit t sit through 30 games, but I would have thought that any sport which is popular in a country with a population of more than 1 billion (cricket) would have an enormous head start in terms of watching figures).

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Soccer is the hands down world game because there is hardly any part of the world where its not played and viewed, tennis and cricket rank after soccer in terms of popularity IMO.

Motorsports,Rugby,Baseball,Golf and American Football are sports with limited appeal (as its attracts only a certain section of viewers) and its only popular in one particular country.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
are you talking about Top-flight rugby as in Super 14 or are you talking about Rugby League because League is as popular in NSW as AFL is in Victoria.
Rugby and rugby league are different sports though, as you know I'm sure. Whilst rugby league is actually a great sport, rugby is dire.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Purely as a matter of opinion - Rugby is a disgraceful game and one which should be erased from the world stage. Dire.
Seconded. Wouldn't quite call it "disgraceful", but yeah, rugby = dire.
Heathens.

Anyway, rugby is easily the biggest sport over here, not just at a national level but at the grass roots level as well. Basically everyone plays rugby, it's by far the biggest sport in NZ. I guess if you are English or Australian then it depends on what kind of environment you were brought up in, with cricket being the only summer sport there is a lot of competition for popularity between the winter codes.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Heathens.
Meh, I played rugby to the age of 14 or so and the overwhelming impression I got on quitting was that it wasn't worth playing unless you were a) very good at it, or b) enjoyed hurting people. Seeing as I was neither, I gave up.

Can watch it occasionally, but to me the only remotely interesting bits of play are when people actually run with the ball. Which I guess means I should like rugby league more, but once again, meh.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And I think all Australians should be erased from the world stage. How do you feel about that?

Well, it's all a matter of opinion, but in what other sport is a penalty given because a bloke has one sleeve of his vodafone (sorry wallaby) jersey pulled down and the other up,
See, I don't even understand what you're prattling on about here. And are you decrying the ARU for getting sponsorship? Good gracious.

and entered from the side of a ruck at an angle of 57 degrees instead of the allowable 48?
Players can't enter from the side of the ruck at all - it's not that hard to understand.

or one side scores 4 tries to 1 or 2 and gets beaten becuse some batty boy can place kick a footy form 55 metres out? I thought the object of the game was to score tries.
Long-distance placekicking is just as much a skill as anything else, and it encourages the defending team not to give away silly or cynical penalties.

As a cure for insomnia, however, it has no peers.
Your posts are doing a pretty good job.

Look, the current laws in union need a tidy-up, there's no denying that, but your posts smack of someone who has barely watched 10 minutes of union. That might be due to your own boredom, but it sounds like you're more the type who doesn't like to count past six anyway. Enjoy your league.

:cool:

/releases anger valve