• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Law Query

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Okay - quite simple:

1) Batsman edges ball
2) Keeper makes hideous mess of attempting to catch it
3) Ball hits keeper's helmet
4) Keeper catches it

Out?

I gave it today but, soon after, remembered the bit of law that decreed that a ball cannot be a "fair catch" if it hits a fielder's protective helmet. I can't find any clarification as to whether that includes keepers or not.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Pretty sure it includes the keeper's helmet as well. There was a similar incident during the Pakistan vs West Indies match in Karachi last year, where Imran Farhat caught out Shiv (I think) at short leg after it seemed to have deflected off of his own helmet's visor. The decision went to the third umpire and he ruled that the ball had not hit the helmet.

So even if the ball hits the helmet of the fielder who is attempting to catch it, the ball is considered dead.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not Out though it takes a bit of piecing together,

If the ball hits a fielders helmet then is is not out (though the ball is still in play) and the only difference regarding fielding the ball for a keeper is that they are allowed to field the ball with their gloves and pads.

For the helmet, a keeper is given no special conditions.

Laws 40 and 32 (IIRC) deal with the issues in hand

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Interesting.

Law 32.3.e said:
A fair catch if a fielder catches the ball after it has touched an umpire, another fielder or the other batsman. However, it is not a fair catch if the ball has touched a protective helmet worn by a fielder, although the ball remains in play.
I guess the ball is only dead if it lodges into the helmet.

Law 23.1.vi said:
The ball is dead if it lodges in a protective helmet worn by a member of the fielding side.
Learn something new everyday.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What if the ball had gone up after hitting the short leg's pads (often worn under the trousers) ??

open365

International Vice-Captain
Yeh if it hits his shin pads when he's at short leg it counts as a catch, i'm pretty sure i've seen it happen before.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think the pads are considered part of the fielder/keeper's person.
Yeah, actually, come to think of it, I've seen someone given out when the ball rested in the top of the keeper's pads before, so that must be the case. Either that, or the umpire was wrong in that particular case.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, actually, come to think of it, I've seen someone given out when the ball rested in the top of the keeper's pads before, so that must be the case. Either that, or the umpire was wrong in that particular case.
Always thought it would be declared as a dead ball if the ball did indeed become lodged in either the batsmans or wicket keepers pads.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Always thought it would be declared as a dead ball if the ball did indeed become lodged in either the batsmans or wicket keepers pads.
It is declared dead AFAIK. If its deflected off the pads, its still in play, but if its lodged, 'tis dead I believe.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The rule that if the ball hits your glove and it's caught you are out has allways puzzled me.

If you let go of the bat, the glove wouldn't fly off with it...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That's correct - the pads, like the gloves, are part of the wicket keeper for catching purposes.