• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - Revolutions Per Second

Swervy

International Captain
'S'not really humble-pie, it's just admitting one's mistakes, and it's certainly not a case of developing it, it's just a case of having the chance to display it.
well its something you just wouldnt have done a while ago..so bravo to you:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly don't think it is something I'd not have done a while ago.

It used to annoy me greatly when people said "he'll grow out of it" and I still firmly believe that not to be the case.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
:laugh:

lmao at some of the discussions on this board.

For the sake of argument though could I quite safely say that Warne puts more than say... 50 revoultions per second on the ball?

Would most agree with this?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He says when he was younger he could really make it fizz. Like you could hear it fizz through the air.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He says when he was younger he could really make it fizz. Like you could hear it fizz through the air.
That doesn't suprise me much, I'm not much of a cricketer but when I try and imitate Muttiah Muralitharan my brother who is batting can hear the whole fizzing through the air.

Steulen

International Regular
in fairness, i havent read through ALL the relevant thread, but from the parts i did read (think it pretty much covered the debate) i didnt seem to get the impression that Richard was claiming his research was the be all and end all. He just said that he watched it on a camera with 78fps (cant remember the exact number) and made a calculation, and defended himself for doing it.

Now i think the figures are a bit high personally (mind you, my A level physics is an E, so i'm even worse off). But i have to defend him here, you could measure 80revs/sec on a 78fps camera . If you have a clear mark on the ball that you use to measure from, and you notice the balls doing 1.1 rotations per frame, every frame, then thats 85.8 rev/sec. However, you'd need 2 marks on opposite sides of the ball, because the uneven number of turns a frame would mean for a while the markers on the wrong side of the ball to see. I doubt Richard did this, hence why i'm slightly doubting his results, but the theories there people!
No, you cannot, at least not accurately. The most basic rule of signal sampling says it all really: the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency of the signal you're sampling. So to establish 80 rps, you will need a sampling rate of 160 sps. Without looking up the thread, I believe I also posted this there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly posted it earlier in this thread.

It IS possible to discern 30 revs per second with 75 frames-per-second footage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The thread is this one, and I quite clearly showed how what I was doing was not impossible.
Nah. There must've been another. That wasn't it.
I assure you, that's the only thread where such discussions were made.
No, you cannot, at least not accurately. The most basic rule of signal sampling says it all really: the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency of the signal you're sampling. So to establish 80 rps, you will need a sampling rate of 160 sps. Without looking up the thread, I believe I also posted this there.
That must be the thread I remember too, because it doesn't seem like you replied in the one Richo linked to. So it has been discussed elsewhere despite his assurances... :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most people with any sense realise that the naked eye cannot be used for such things.

You, of course, have none, so that's not surprising.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That doesn't suprise me much, I'm not much of a cricketer but when I try and imitate Muttiah Muralitharan my brother who is batting can hear the whole fizzing through the air.
You can imitate Murali? LOL, why aren't you playing for NZ?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can imitate Murali? LOL, why aren't you playing for NZ?
Because I don't play proper cricket, just backyard stuff. I never claimed to be able to bowl as well as him, just in a style that is similar to his.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Love the way Rich and Perm don't get KaZo's tongue-in-cheekness and think KaZo didn't get Perm's tongue-in-cheekness...